Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• advanced surgical technique question

Hi all,

Yesterday I learned that some hospitals in the US are now using an "interoperative CD scanner" (or navigation scanner) called an "o-arm," which apparently lets the surgeon see the spine in many dimensions and enables them to put the screws in more precisely.

Has anyone else heard of this? It was new to me. . . and if so, do you know what hospitals are using it?

Finally, another question off the subject (but I didn't want to start a new thread), I'm going to see my surgeon on March 1st to make the big surgery decision. I have a referral to the radiologist from my PCP for bending x-rays, but I'm not sure if I should have the x-rays before I see the surgeon or not? I'm asking here because nobody at the spine clinic can give me a straight answer. I know I'll need another standing x-ray to see how much it progressed over the past year, but do surgeons usually do bending x-rays 3 months before surgery, or closer to the time?

I'd appreciate any advice.
    Thank you,
    Anya
    "You must be the change you want to see in the world."

Previously 55 degree thoracolumbar curve
    Surgery June 5, 2007 - Dr. Clifford Tribus, University of Wisconsin Hospital
    19 degrees post-op!

http://abhbarry.blogspot.com

Originally posted by abhbarry
    Hi all,

Yesterday I learned that some hospitals in the US are now using an "interoperative CD scanner" (or navigation scanner) called an "o-arm," which apparently lets the surgeon see the spine in many dimensions and enables them to put the screws in more precisely.

Has anyone else heard of this? It was new to me. . . and if so, do you know what hospitals are using it?
    I saw a report on a local (San Francisco - Oakland) news channel a few days ago - the reporter was at UCSF and interviewed one of the docs in the spinal surgery clinic where they are using the O-arm.

Check out O-arm website http://www.breakawayimaging.com/
    As of 12/25/07, age 62, 100* thoracic kyphosis, 73* L1-S1 lordosis, 37*/25* compensatory S-curve scoliosis. On 12/26/07, Dr. Boachie @ HSS NYC did 11 hours ant. & post. procedures, fused T2-L2, kyphosis now 57*, scoli 10*. Regained 2 1/4 inches in height!! Improving every day.

Comment

Working...
    X