spine-cor vs. Boston brace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by braceguy76
    You may also find it interesting the the unmentioned Chiropractors sometimes enter these chat rooms under different user names to talk up the spine cor brace.I have personaly seen this done.

It's sad to say but this doesn't surprise me one bit! When these people start harassing parents of children with scoliosis that's when they're crossing the line!

Canadian eh
    Daughter, Deirdre born Oct 2000. Diagnosed with 60 degree curve at the age of 19 months. Serial casting by Dr. Hedden at Sick Kid's Hospital. Currently being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard in Montreal with the Spinecor brace and curve is holding at "2" degrees. Next appointment 2008

Comment

It is sad and scary to think of people posting as other people. I try to be alert, because in the internet you can´t believe all what you see. I´ve seen that done several times at "the spinekids´forum". It is specially sad, that forum is mostly full of teens, that have felt tricked.
      When somethig seems to be too good to be real, perhaps it´not true.
      2004: Daughter diagnosed at 13 L38º. Risser 0.
      Treatment: Cheneau brace
      2009: Brace free, 18 years old, Risser 5, L25º

Comment

The jury is still out on the overall effectiveness of the brace. No real Study has been done by anyone without a interest in the outcome.
        Cannot but agree with this. This is why it is important that we do exchange experiences amongst ourselves as besides the one study (of an interested party) there is nothing else to go on. Saying that, personal experiences seem to fit in with study and whether it is working or not, life is so much more bearable for our children wearing this rather than hardbrace (for which the actual evidence is not brilliant neither)

Comment

Okay Gerbo.... are you ~really~ who you claim to be or just a figment of our collective imagination

Canadian eh
          Daughter, Deirdre born Oct 2000. Diagnosed with 60 degree curve at the age of 19 months. Serial casting by Dr. Hedden at Sick Kid's Hospital. Currently being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard in Montreal with the Spinecor brace and curve is holding at "2" degrees. Next appointment 2008

Comment

I don't suppose there is any more positive proof than the child standing right before your eyes that is beating the 100% chance of surgery odds with this brace and looks great!
            It is proof enough for me.
            I was anxious at first. Get anxious with every visit. But this brace has already been worth the cost and the trouble.
            Three or four inches of growth and close to 20 degrees improvement.
            Blessed.
            God has used scoliosis to strengthen and mold us. He's good all the time!On this forum these larger curves have not held forever in Spinecor,with an initial positive response followed by deterioration. With deterioration, change treatment.The first year she gained 4 or 5 inches and was stable at around 20/20 in brace, followed by rapid progression the next year.She is now 51/40 (Jan2008)out of brace (40/30 in Spinecor) and started at 38/27 out of brace(Jan2006.) Now in Cheneau.

Comment

Great discussion!! I can not wait till I can chime in!!!

Christine
              from CT, USA
              6 year old daughter diagnosed 7/06 33* T9

Spinecor 8/06 - 8/2012
              8/06 11* 3/07 5*-8/07 8*-2/08 3*
              10/08 1* 4/09 Still holding @ 1*
              10/09 11* OOB 4/10 Negative 6*
              10/2011 Neg.11* IB 11yrs old 0 rotation
              4/2012 12* OOB 0 rotation
              8/2012 18* OOB for 2 weeks. TSLO night time
              2/2013 8* OOB 3 days TSLO nightime
              3/2014 8* Out of Brace permanently

Comment

I am back. The kids and hubby are tucked in to bed and I need to vent. My daughter had her MRI today, it was a bit nerve racking due to the sedation but all turned out well. I just need to wait for results. The last month has been crazy, my mother has been sick. I have been in and out of Dr. appts with her. She has had CT scans and MRIs and we have not been able to determine the cause of her dementia

As far as the discussion with braceguy. That is very interesting. We were origenally scheduled to see a chiro for spinecor the cost was around $4500. Fortunately we were rerouted to Montreal by someone on this forum. Thank goodness my daughter was an excellent canadate for the brace. The way I see it is at my daughters age and size of curve spinecor is our only option to reduce the chance of surgery.

It is sad that people are taking advantage ($) of this invention. Although spinecor can only cater to a small population (to reduce curves) it is still a wonderfull alternative to ridgid bracing.

Braceguy
                is there someway you can contact spinecor and let them know that their invention is being discredited by these chiropractors you speak of.
                from CT, USA
                6 year old daughter diagnosed 7/06 33* T9

Spinecor 8/06 - 8/2012
                8/06 11* 3/07 5*-8/07 8*-2/08 3*
                10/08 1* 4/09 Still holding @ 1*
                10/09 11* OOB 4/10 Negative 6*
                10/2011 Neg.11* IB 11yrs old 0 rotation
                4/2012 12* OOB 0 rotation
                8/2012 18* OOB for 2 weeks. TSLO night time
                2/2013 8* OOB 3 days TSLO nightime
                3/2014 8* Out of Brace permanently

Comment

I do believe that many of these chiropractors really do believe in what they are doing. They believe in the exercises and the adjustments. Remember chiros adjust their own kids from the time they are babies. Most people don't believe in that.

With that being said, I do think many of them are overcharging people for the brace and for the appointments. Body suits cost a lot of money from Spinecor regardless.

When we saw Dr. Deutchman there was a child there who he said didn't need a brace because his curve was too small.

But I do resent not being asked whether or not I wanted vestibular testing and instead was presented with the entire package of brace and testing.

I do think Dr. D. knows a lot about scoliosis and the Spinecor. Unfortunately when someone has a private office vs. being in the hospital, the fees go up right there.

Dr. D. was extremely kind to Nicole and spent about 5 hours with us that first day. I really loved the way he talked to Nicole. The ortho who diagnosed her was cold and unfeeling. She was crying in his office and he didn't even acknowledge that.

But had I been advised to go right to Montreal from the start, I would have thousands of dollars more in my wallet right now. That is a fact.
                  Melissa
                  From Bucks County, Pa., USA

Mom to Matthew,19, Jessica, 17, and Nicole, 14
                  Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

Okay Gerbo.... are you ~really~ who you claim to be or just a figment of our collective imagination
                    ok, I better come clean....

Comment

had a shower, feel much better now

Comment

Originally posted by gerbo
                        ok, I better come clean....
                        What I'd like to do is delve into the enigma called "Gerbo" Who is this "Gerbo" ?

Canadian eh

Comment

there are many variations.....

http://users.rcn.com/rfinley/enigma.mid

Comment

Braceguy,

I'm curious now, my daughter was braced in the Spinecor by a chiropractor. She has an s-curve, lumbar is structural. At the time, her lumbar was 42 and thoracic about 30. Would she have been a candidate for this brace according to the protocol you were taught? After the 3 month xrays, when it was apparent it wasn't helping, we quit going to him and ultimately quit using it at 6 months. Also, I was recently told by one of the ortho. surgeons, that he rarely braces lumbar curves because they just don't respond to bracing well due to lack of structural support (in contrast to a thoracic curve that is a "closed" system with the ribs and sternum). We are interviewing surgeons now for surgery this summer.

Comment

Also, how much did she go down in her brace? Do you remember?
                              Melissa
                              From Bucks County, Pa., USA

Mom to Matthew,19, Jessica, 17, and Nicole, 14
                              Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

It was Dr. Smouse here in Houston, the funny thing is, the dr you described could have been him. I wasn't happy with the ortho. surgeon we were sent to, so I was very surprised by the amt of time Dr. Smouse spent with us reviewing xrays, explaining scoliosis, etc. He does a great sales job for sure. We tried his program as I said for 3 months, including bracing, nutrional supplements and therapy but realized it wasn't helping and quit at that point. When you consult with them, there's no reason to doubt their sincerity, they have the Spinecor credentials up their on the wall, he's been fitting since 2004 and I have no doubt he has helped people but it is at a high cost.

Her initial correction was only a few degrees and stayed at that the entire time. I had considered going to Montreal and had spoken with Dr. Couillard by phone but she sounded somewhat doubtful herself, stating a lumbar curve greater than 40 deg. is usually rigid. But I agree, if you can travel to Montreal, that is definitely the best way to go. For us, I was thrilled at the time that he was only a few minutes away and only one of a few in Texas fitting the brace then, so it seemed like the logical choice to me.
                                Last edited by Sherie; 02-23-2007, 05:15 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X