Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help!

ok im getting my brace thursday and i have some ?'s. will i need new shirts to fit over my brace? do i put camis on over my brace or under it? will i need an undershirt or no? what is the most comfy way to sleep? please answer as many as you want. THANK YOU!
    They Call me Laura
    Im 13 years old
    I have a mild 23 degree cruve

New Brace

What kind of brace are you getting? Spencer was in a TLSO for about a year and a half and we found undershirts were very important. They help protect the skin from abrasion by the brace and they help protect the brace from body oils and odor. Spencer is so small that the brace actually made his clothes fit better so we did not need to get new shirts for him. lol. Now that he has no brace his clothes all look baggy.
    Spencer's Dad

11 year old boy with PMD Luekodystrophy
    Nonambulatory, nonverbal, nonweight bearing
    VRO and Pemberton hip reconstruction at age 5
    Nissen fundo at at age 7
    Subdermal spinal drug pump at age 9
    Complete Spinal Fusion Jan. 9, 2007 at age 10.
    118 degree curve before surgery - less than 25 after!!

Comment

I always wear a cami over AND under it. The one under it keeps it from rubbing against my skin cuz that hurts and the one over it makes it look smoother. I think I have a minnesota brace...something like that.
      You will DEFINATELY need new shirts, unless all your shirts are loose. You will also want to make sure you wear T-shirts UDNER your brace at night, because I got this really bad heat rash this summer from wearing regular cami-type shirts underneath and it is FINALLY clearing up. The brace will really irritate your skin if your not careful!! At night, i have found it is most comfortable to sleep on your back. It keeps the pressure from the brace off of the top of you.
      You might want to make sure you have a size bigger in pants...like im a size 3 but i wear a 5 (sometimes a 7 too) because of the brace.
      Im sure this is a little late, but better late then never!!
      Good luck!
      x0x0x0x0x0x0x0
      Molly

my name is molly
      i am 15 and a sophmore in highschool
      i got my back brace at age 13
      i should stop wearing it REALLY soon
      my curves are 38 and 43 degrees
      i've had scoliosis since i was 7
      my legs used to be uneven
      but now they look much more balanced!
      and hopefully my scoliosis will start to get better
      Oh, and i'm raising a lamb. her name is Violet and she's super cute!

Comment

Bigger Pants...

My daughter decided to spend the extra money on new longer shirts and pretty camis and just wear the brace outside (and over) her pants. So, she saved a lot of money by not having to buy both new tops and bottoms. She says she has to loosen the bottom strap (Boston brace) to get them up and down in the bathroom...but not a big deal. Not a big deal compared to ALL NEW shirts!!! We asked for a couple of the Boston tank tops when we picked up the brace for nights. They are coolmax material so the 'breathe' well but they are fluffy and soft and give a nice sleeping surface against the body. Have only had the brace for just over a week... so, not a Pro yet. But that is our 'experience'.

Comment

Thank you all soooooooo much! it really helped. i just went to the mall today with my mom the sales person at American Eagle was sooooo nice!
          They Call me Laura
          Im 13 years old
          I have a mild 23 degree cruve

Comment

Hey, camis underneath a brace are a must. I'm in my second brace now.
            If you go to www.bostonbrace.com you can get shirts for under a brace. They are really great. They are way better than a cami.
            cindy

I'mon my second brace
            happy cuz of no surge
            life goes on

Comment

sleeping in a boston brace

I've had my boston brace for 2 weeks now. My docter gave my these undershirts to wear under the brace to avoid irritation. I still have a really hard time sleeping in it. how do you get used to sleeping in it?

Comment

Working...
              X