Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How does yoga help scoliosis?

Is this true, or is it a myth? Thanks!

Yoga and other core-building programs like Pilates help by strengthening your abdominal muscles, which support your back. The trick is to make sure you do exercises that are designed for someone with a tricky back. Some trainers and instructors specialize in this.
    Chris
    A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
    Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
    Post-op curve: 12 degrees
    Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

There is a DVD called "Yoga for Scoliosis" by Elise Browning Miller that suggests yoga for help in reducing pain and improving posture. It does not say that it will improve curves or provide a miraculous cure. The instructor on the DVD has scoliosis and it is a very sensible program.

Comment

Thirteen years ago I met Dr. Benson, UCD Medical Ctr, Sacramento, CA @ a scoliosis conference. I asked him about surgery & what might be the signs that I would now need surgery. He asked me to bend to the left, so I did. Then he asked me to bend to the right. Confused I asked why. He said as long as I was able to do that I could have an indicator if I needed to be ck'd for surgery. I have done yoga for 35 years, can still bend left/right & fortunately have not had surgery. He was advising me to stay limber & flexible. So my yoga exercise did help.

Comment

Oh Puh-LEEZE! Can't you do better than that, Miss (or Mr.) Nexium??
          Chris
          A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
          Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
          Post-op curve: 12 degrees
          Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Yoga helps with muscle issues

For the years before my fusion, I used yoga stretches and exercises to keep my muscles from tightening up and spasming from the scoliosis. It also helped with the tightenness of sciatica. It is a good thing to help control the muscle pain from scoliosis, but will not in anyway cure your scoliosis or improve the curves. It is just a good way to stay more comfortable and live with it. You do, however, have to be careful and not overdo for your particular body condition or it can exacerbate your pain.

Since my long fusion, I am much more limited in what I can do, but some forms of the stretches can still be helpful.

Deb

surgery 7/24/06
            T5-L5

Comment

Working...
            X