Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Celia Vogel
    Hi,

Your son is beautiful, by the way! Are you asking me what I would do? Well....I wouldn't waste any time because time is not on your side. When is your appointment with dr. Lenke?? I would phone his secretary tomorrow and find out in advance if he's changed his views on serial casting for progressive idiopathic scoliosis because it's obvious from the MRI results that this is what your son has. You don't have the luxury of wasting time trying to educate a doctor on the merits of serial casting if they can't see the benefits. I'm almost certain dr. Lenke doesn't do casting, at least this was the case until recently.

What kind of correction is your son getting with the brace? Is his curve considered flexible? You should make an appointment with one of the doctors on the Casting List and get it done ASAP!!! I've heard from other parents that dr. Lenke is a great surgeon and if your son ever need surgery he will be in great hands! However.... I don't think you're looking for a surgeon at this point in time. Right now, chances are slim that casting will resolve your son's curve but there is still hope, provided your son's curve is flexible! If his curve progresses much further...i.e., to 80 degrees or more, he's past the point of no return and his curve will *never* resolve with serial casting. My daughter went into her first cast with a 68 degree curve and she's doing great and her curve is stable in the Spinecor brace at 1 degree. Joining the CAST support group is a great idea because there are many parents going through the same thing and it's great to have a shoulder to lean on when the going gets tough!

Can you explain your statement about the casting and the Spinecor brace? I'm especially interested in your experience since your daughter's curve seems similar to Jack's
    Action Jackson - no brace is going to slow me down!
    Diagnosed with a 70 degree thoracic curve 6/6/07
    MRI on 6/14/07 - comes back clean on 6/15/07
    Brace arrived on 6/20/07
    1st Cast applied by Dr. Mehta 8/1/07 at 70°
    Yielded no results, back up to 70 out of cast.
    2nd Cast improved down to 40s, 3rd got us into the 30s, as did cast #4.
    At 20 months, in cast 5, correction isn't being achieved.

Comment

Hi,

We started casting when my daughter was 19 months old in May of 2002 and she wore about 8 casts until she turned 5 years old. She was fitted with the Spinecor brace the same week she turned 5. Given the severity of her curve when she went into her first cast (68 degrees) I think the length of time in casts was absolutely necessary to heal the vertebrae however maybe less time would have been okay too, but who knows? If I had to do it all over again, I would! She is living a *very* normal healthy surgery free life right now.

Canadian eh
      Daughter, Deirdre born Oct 2000. Diagnosed with 60 degree curve at the age of 19 months. Serial casting by Dr. Hedden at Sick Kid's Hospital. Currently being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard in Montreal with the Spinecor brace and curve is holding at "2" degrees. Next appointment 2008

Comment

awesome - this gives me so much hope since Jack is 70 degrees and we're pursuing casting now
        Action Jackson - no brace is going to slow me down!
        Diagnosed with a 70 degree thoracic curve 6/6/07
        MRI on 6/14/07 - comes back clean on 6/15/07
        Brace arrived on 6/20/07
        1st Cast applied by Dr. Mehta 8/1/07 at 70°
        Yielded no results, back up to 70 out of cast.
        2nd Cast improved down to 40s, 3rd got us into the 30s, as did cast #4.
        At 20 months, in cast 5, correction isn't being achieved.

Comment

Working...
        X