Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spinecor ????

Hello,

I know there is a like 150 page forum on Spinecor but i dont think i can read it...

so can anyone tell me about it a little please..??

I hate wearing my brace at home but at school i have no prblem with it.

my wholoe family and I are always arguing about how i dont wearit enough...

I was thinking mabey i could try the spinecor...'cuz i read a little about it but i still need help...

Like how mush does it cost?
    What its like to be in one?
    How easy is it to but on and off?
    is it knowticable?

And so on

Please answer if you can.
    Mák Veronika
    14 yr.o. girl 9th grade
    40T
    54L
    +rotation
    Boston Brace since December 2005
    Location in Florida

I play flute.
    I LOVE ROCK!!!!!

Veronika,

I noticed by your signature that your lumbar curve is 55 degrees...what kind of correction are you getting with the boston? I've read of a few kids who wore the Spinecor and they had larger curves and it didn't stop the curve from progressing to the point of surgery. On the other hand rigid braces are ineffective once curves progress beyond 45 degrees so what's the difference This is not to imply that bracing will not work for you because no one really knows what the future holds and I have read isolated cases of children who wore the Cheneau brace combined with Schroth therapy and they were very successful in reducing their curves.

If you were my daughter I would *not* recommend the Spinecor brace given your degree of curvature and age. I would probably do serial casting for a period of time followed by the Milwaukee brace and physical therapy like torso rotation exercises... however this is something I could not dictate to my own 12 year old daughter because at that point she would be more independent and obviously have real issues with wearing a cast to school. I guess we would have to reach an amiable solution and I don't know what that would be. The tradeoff is very great because the surgical outcome is not easy for all concerned.

To answer a few of your questions, the brace cost us $2,900 about a year and a half ago. It's invisible underneath clothing and my daughter prefers to have it on all the time. My daughter is 6 years old so we have many years of growth spurts/uncertainty ahead of us.

Last edited by Celia; 02-04-2007, 02:39 PM.

Canadian eh
    Daughter, Deirdre born Oct 2000. Diagnosed with 60 degree curve at the age of 19 months. Serial casting by Dr. Hedden at Sick Kid's Hospital. Currently being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard in Montreal with the Spinecor brace and curve is holding at "2" degrees. Next appointment 2008

Comment

Hi Veronika
      It's been ages since I've been on this thread, but thought I would share my daughter's experience. I would agree with Celia, I would not waste money on the Spinecor with your degree of lumbar curve. My daughter's lumbar curve is also around in the 50's now. We tried Spinecor when her curve was around 43 and had 0 correction in it, and after 4 months of wearing it, she was still progressing. On the plus side, it was waaaayyy more comfortable for her to wear compared to her hard brace. My best advice to you would be to call the Dr's in Montreal and ask them what they think, they were the ones who told me a lumbar curve over 40 is rigid and may not respond to bracing. We're looking for surgeons now, as I believe this is the best course for her future after much research. I wish you well.
      Sherie

Comment

have to agree with previous. It might be worth posting on a surgical section, asking people about their experiences. I understand that it isn't as horrendous at many people imagine and results are excellent! Just trying to say, don't worry about the surgical option if it comes to that!

take care

Comment

Celia, i have had no correction or progression.yet i have grown 1.5 inches in one year

I just hate to wear my braace and its hard when all my favorite shirts get ripped and stuff like that

Thanks for replying
          Mák Veronika
          14 yr.o. girl 9th grade
          40T
          54L
          +rotation
          Boston Brace since December 2005
          Location in Florida

I play flute.
          I LOVE ROCK!!!!!

Comment

Cloudy,
            Just yesterday my daughter had a appt .I asked about the spinecor for her.A team of Drs, np and more all said NO!! They referred to it as a scam! Apparently the "inventors" are currently being sued.unfortunately the best way is what your doing now.It will get better
            Mother of Nichole 12yrs old and Madison 4yrs old

Comment

wonder whether they got confused with the copes brace, I have heared there is suing going on with that one. If the same was happening re spinecor, i am sure one of the many users on this forum would have picked up on that. You might have been given incorrect information.

Comment

My Little Angel,

Why any reputable doctor would call the Spinecor a "scam" is questionable! Is there any proof that the inventors are being sued and on what grounds ?? It really upsets me when doctors make such remarks to patients! You're probably aware that spine surgery is big business and multinational corporations have a very big role in the way patients are treated. Ever wonder why successful European treatments have not been adopted here in North America ??? The doctor of yesteryear is no more!

As for the Spinecor brace.... it's working very well for my daughter and quite a few other people I know which is more than I can say for watching and waiting or rigid braces. As far as I'm concerned there are many doctors out there that should be sued for gross negligence for watching and waiting *especially* for progressive infantile idiopathic scoliosis

Last edited by Celia; 02-06-2007, 12:23 PM.

Canadian eh
                Daughter, Deirdre born Oct 2000. Diagnosed with 60 degree curve at the age of 19 months. Serial casting by Dr. Hedden at Sick Kid's Hospital. Currently being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard in Montreal with the Spinecor brace and curve is holding at "2" degrees. Next appointment 2008

Comment

Spine Core

Definitely wrong information. The spine core brace is not a scam and they are not being sued.

The brace works. I've mentioned before that I am 60 years old and started with a 65/61 S curve. I had neck and hip pain and severe back spasms. After 7 months my curve has reduced and after 2 weeks in the brace all my pain was gone. I have never had another spasm. As an adult I wear the brace about 10 hours a day as opposed to 20 because I am not in growth mode.

The brace is dynamic which allows the muscles to work so they don't atrophy. There are exercises for vestibular training which has a lot to do with how this all works. The brace and the exercises help to "retrain" your brain to understand how to hold your body.

Believe me, if it can work on someone my age, it can work on anyone.

Comment

carol, find it fascinating to hear that adults like yourself obtain such a benefit. Any idea what kind of curve you have when in brace? Only of academic interest ofcourse

Comment

The comment I made was of absolutely no personal experience.As I stated I asked about it and that was the answer I recieved.I didnt mean to upset anyone.My appologies,since this has been such a happy place for me I realize discussion on the spionecor is not a topic I would like to discuss anymore.Again my appologies.
                      Mother of Nichole 12yrs old and Madison 4yrs old

Comment

don't worry, it is always interesting to hear what is being said, and fair critisism would not be discouraged at all. It just seem that they confused different braces, which is reasonable to point out.

I look at the spinecor very critically as my daughter is using it and i am aware of the lack of studies. Saying that, if you start seeing improvement as you go along, backed up by xrays (looked at by cynical consultant,) and you read consistent stories on this site about improvements (and the occasional lack of improvement) in many other young people, then slowly you inevitably have to get to the conclusion that this spinecor brace might just about be a good treatment option in scoliosis.

Comment

mylittleangel,

Don't apologize. Everyone is here to learn what they can and also to share their thoughts and experiences. You can't help what your doctor said. I pretty much got the same response from my daughter's doctor and she had already had surgery, so we weren't even considering using the brace! I was only trying to get the word out there about the brace. The doctor didn't even want to respond to my mentioning the brace. He only would say "I've heard of it", but wouldn't take the info to even look at it.

Mary Lou
                          Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

I agree that there is no reason for an apology. We are all here to help each other. I believe we have each other's best interest in mind.

With that being said, If Nicole weren't wearing the Spinecor, we would have most likely chosen nothing. She would have just gone right to surgery as soon as she was a candidate. We would not have put her in the hard brace. She wouldn't have worn it anyway. So for us, Spinecor was the only answer.
                            Melissa
                            From Bucks County, Pa., USA

Mom to Matthew,19, Jessica, 17, and Nicole, 14
                            Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

I had to do a lot of soul searching prior to getting the Spinecor brace for my daughter and it's a decision I've never regretted. The kind of information I was reading prior to getting the brace put a lot of doubt in my mind and it really was a leap of faith to go with the brace because literally no one in Canada besides a few centres in Quebec were/are prescribing the brace.

Canadian eh

Comment

Working...
                              X