new to the group-spondylolysis, spondylithesis and scoliosis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new to the group-spondylolysis, spondylithesis and scoliosis

Hello, I got on someone else's thread and now that I know how to do my own, here I am. My 8 year old has been diagnosed with spondylolysis, spondylithesis and mild scoliosis. The spondyloysis are fractures in her back that keep the lumbar in place. She has 2 active fractures. The spondylithesis is when the lumbar is moved forward, which one of hers is 30% forward.

We have been to 2 different ped ortho doctors (both are hours away) but I think we are going to stay with the doc at Dartmouth Hitchcock medical center in New Hampshire.

My daughter, Joceyln, starts PT tomorrow 3x a week for the next 8 weeks then we go back.

She was give a script for ibuprofen, but it is bothering her stomach too much so we are going to alternate with tylenol. THey are worried the PT will make things worse.

The fun is just beginning!!! I am so glad I found this site, Spencer;s Dad, thanks for your support already! I so appreciate it!!!

just wondering

Hi Elha,

Just wondering how things were going? Has the tylenol helped? Have you started PT yet?

Keep us posted.
    Spencer's Dad

11 year old boy with PMD Luekodystrophy
    Nonambulatory, nonverbal, nonweight bearing
    VRO and Pemberton hip reconstruction at age 5
    Nissen fundo at at age 7
    Subdermal spinal drug pump at age 9
    Complete Spinal Fusion Jan. 9, 2007 at age 10.
    118 degree curve before surgery - less than 25 after!!

Comment

Hello, Elha;
      My daughter has scoliosis and spondylolisthesis too. She has been wearing braces for two years now. We have seen several neurosurgeons and orthos, and all of them have agreed, that the best she can do is wear her brace, and do the specific exercises.
      We´re still waiting to see what happens; The worst is that sometimes, she has pain in her leg;
      How is the PT going?
      Keep your chin up!!
      2004: Daughter diagnosed at 13 L38º. Risser 0.
      Treatment: Cheneau brace
      2009: Brace free, 18 years old, Risser 5, L25º

Comment

me again

Hello again. We started the PT and it wasn't as bad as she thought it would be, she cried the whole night before and then giggled the entire time we were there.

We had gone one week and woke up one day saying she hurt all over. I thought it was the PT and let her stay home with her grandmother. One hour later my mother called to tell me she was burning up and couldn't swallow. Turns out she has the flu. the real kit and kaboodle. The third case diagnosed in Vermont and she has it. No PT for a week and we will try again at the end of this week.

We lessened the dose of Ibuprofen and went to a liquid. Hher doc gave her a perscription so it won't cost me $5 a day on top of everything else. After her deductable, it is only like 50 cents a bottle.

She is anxious about her next appointment and hates the physical restrictions she is on right now (no recess, no gym, no school buses, etc) but knows she doesn't like her back hurting either.

Thanks again for the support, this past week I really thought I was going to lose it!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Hang in there

Elha,

Glad to hear PT was not so bad.

Sorry to hear about the flu. When it rains it pours. NO FUN AT ALL!!! Something to think about is that when the body has to expend normal energy compensating for abnormalities, such as scoli and sponds, it becomes compromised and more susceptible for contracting things like the flu. So you might want to get flu shots next year.

Glad to hear the liquid IBU is working a little better.

Remember, things get tough sometimes, but no matter how bad things seem, the sun will still rise in the morning. So as long as you remember to breathe until the sun comes up, you will always have another day to try to do some good. Hang in there, you'll find a routine soon and that will help you get through the challenges.
          Spencer's Dad

11 year old boy with PMD Luekodystrophy
          Nonambulatory, nonverbal, nonweight bearing
          VRO and Pemberton hip reconstruction at age 5
          Nissen fundo at at age 7
          Subdermal spinal drug pump at age 9
          Complete Spinal Fusion Jan. 9, 2007 at age 10.
          118 degree curve before surgery - less than 25 after!!

Comment

Working...
          X