I'm numb...anyone else????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm numb...anyone else????

The last few days what with the temperatures dropping here on the east coast, I have been sooo numb on my incision side. I am 5 mos post-op by the end of this month....I still feel great but real stiff/numb on the left side...made me realize I'm not 100 % yet....no way! I suppose it's the weather/metal combination???? anyone?? thks-Lynne
    I now can predict snow(& I seem to be on the money..) like sam champion..

Lynne,
    Im in NJ as well and I feel a huge difference with this weather! Of course, I am only 3 weeks post-op, so I am still numb on the side where they took the ribs and along my entire incision. But, if I walk ouside in the cold, my entire back gets so stiff I feel like a piece of wood!! It's very weird.. I'm sure it has to do with the fact that the wind chill outside is -10!!
    Lesly

Comment

YES! I also have noticed that I am extremely sensitive to the cold. I am from Pennsylvania so I am used to cold weather, but since my surgery I seem to have no tolerance at all. I am almost 4 months post-op and feel that I am doing pretty well, but on a cold day I feel like I have taken 2 steps back. We are a Navy family and recently moved to San Diego, so the warm sun has become my best friend! Although, even temps in the 50's seem to have a negative affect. I feel very stiff and uncomfortable and I find myself bending forward at the hips with extreme difficulty standing up straight. Thank goodness I don't have to deal with snow and negative temps, I feel for those of you who do! Stay warm!

Comment

My back gets really cold at the top of the rod (where it is closest to the surface). My physio says that it because metal doesn't conduct heat/cold in the same way as flesh and bone. I am having to wear a waistcoat to keep it warm...!
        Double 63(T)/75(L) deg curve with big sideways shift - Surgery in UK on 8th February 2006.
        Post op 30(T)/33(L)
        http://warpedwoman.blogspot.com/

Comment

Hi Lynne
          Finally got on...
          I'm numb just because it's REALLY cold here in Paris ( -5). I'll let you know how I feel AFTER my op on Feb 14...
          48 yr old female. 80° thoracolumber curve. Surgery Feb 14 2007. Fused T3 - L5. Correction to 23°. Happy!

Comment

Hi

wow-mouna----so happy you got on...finally!!! much good luck w/ your upcoming surgery...Lynne

Comment

numb and some other stuff..

i am about 8 months post op and i am still a little numb on the left and i have lost my hot sense as well. When i shower i can not feel the real temperature of the water on my left side of my back. if i turn it up really high to feel better there it practically burns my other side. i barely feel a hot patch either. but the numb doesn't really bother me. i guess i got used to it.

stephanie 28
              T11- L3 6-5-06
              rib removal
              Stephanie
              T11 to L3
              1 rib removed
              June 5, 2006

Comment

Dont think this will happen to you guys but my left side is still numb 40 years after surgery. Its between my left shoulder blade and spine. My doctor said it was the nerve ends or something. Hasnt really worried me though over the years have gotten used to it.

God bless,
                Macky
                Operation 1966, Fused from T4 to L3, had Harrington rods inserted. Originally had an 85 degree Thoracic curve with lumbar scoliosis as well but had a good correction.
                Perfectly normal life till 1997 but now in a lot of pain daily. Consider myself very fortunate though.

Comment

I had my surgery in May of 05, and I still have some numb spots. They keep getting smaller and smaller.

Mine will itch for a few days and no scratching will help, then all of a sudden I have feeling, it's so weird!!!

When I get chilled, I just draw a hot bath and soak, and it feels great!!!

Shari

Comment

yup...numb!

I'm 2.5 years post op and my back's still numb!!!

Comment

Hi All, at 11 mos out I am still numb where they took my bone graft. I feel tingly in some places but still no feeling in others. It has gotten a lot better though. As for the cold I wondered if it was due to the weight loss. Now I think after reading about all the cold post-op people. it has to do with all the metal we have in us. Boy, skiing is going to be interesting once I get back into it. I will need a polar bear fur suit!

Comment

i've just had surgery,6 weeks ago ,i confirm Mouna its cold here.!!!!i had numbness in the beginning post op in my left leg and back,and regularly after staying up long time walking or householding etc.. ,today i dont feel as if i have never had any back problem at all ... after painkillers and warm shower and keeping my back against ths radiator.... for ounce just hope it doesn't get any colder and no snow.
                        Mouna ,i have my first visit post op on feb 19th will you be in the same hospital?from my experience 5 days after D day we start to get quite well.
                        How are you feeling counting the days,are you having to do "autransfusions" and E...x injections?to preparre?
                        I am trying to get my way round this forum ,there really is a lot to read and verry interresting and recomforting .do you get to meet up some time?
                        see you soon
                        Last edited by bonjour; 02-02-2007, 04:28 AM.

Comment

Can the numbness be from the incision? I know this is unrelated because I haven't had scoli surgery, BUT, I have had 2 c-sections....one in 1988 & the 2nd one in 1992. My incision is still numb....& the last one was done 14 years ago.
                          Martha
                          Mother of Laura, Age 19
                          Diagnosed with S curve at Age 13 (49*T/32*L)
                          Wore brace for one year (Wilmington Jacket)
                          Posterior spinal fusion on April 17, '08 with Dr. Flynn at CHOP (Age 16)
                          Fused T2-L2
                          Pre-op curves: 41*UT/66*T/34*L
                          Post-op curves: 14*UT/19*T/19*L
                          Note: At 1 yr. post-op appt, UNFUSED lumbar curve improved to 14*!!
                          OK to email me at: malka22@comcast.net

Comment

Working...
                          X