Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to understand surgery costs...

Dear All-

I am trying to understand and plan for the financial aspects of my daughter's surgery. I assume that the surgeon's fees are separate from the hospital fees. Does anyone have an estimate of what the various expenses are?

I suspect that the costs are contingent on the complexity of the surgery...and here's what I know about my daughter's surgery thus far. The plan that we recieved says that he plans to perform a "posterior spine fuson" of "L1-4" as well as a "Smith-Petersen-type posterior element osteotomy."

I know that Dr. Boachie's office doesn't accept insurance. Does this mean that the patient has to pay the surgeon's fees out-of-pocket after the surgery? Or, are there instances when one can submit the bills to one's insurance company without having to front the cash. Basically, I am trying to figure out how much money do I need to have available for the surgery. Someone else on the board estimated that I should plan on about $5k worth of out-of-pocket expenses but this did not include the surgeon's fees. Does anyone have additional information, particularly if you/your child has had a similar surgery with Dr. Boachie's? I appreciate any information that you may have. Many thanks.

Sam

Hi Sam...

You might want to consider moving your post to the Parents section of the forums:

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=100

(Your post is currently in the teen section.)

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

HSS bills.....!

sam---I had my surgery this past August with Boachie & Kim & can give you an idea. PM me or email....
      I now only have a few bills left, most was paid by Aetna, my insurance co. But you have to stay on top of them!!!! Ly-

Comment

thanks, Linda

Hi Linda,

I had no idea how I ended up posting in the teen section! My mind's been a bit fried lately. I will repost my message in the parents section. Thanks for catching that.

Best,

Sam

Originally posted by LindaRacine
        Hi Sam...

You might want to consider moving your post to the Parents section of the forums:

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=100

(Your post is currently in the teen section.)

Regards,
        Linda

Comment

Working...
        X