No announcement yet.

did anyone one else run away and hide at the thought of surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm new here and the answer is YES. I'm 47 and from London. The problem was never really addressed in the UK. Only after I came to France , had 2 kids, and saw myself lose 10 cms in 10 yrs did start to realize that my (now) 80 ° curve had to be dealt with. Took me a LONG time to take the decision to have surgery - scheduled feb 14 - and I'm looking forward to it....
    48 yr old female. 80° thoracolumber curve. Surgery Feb 14 2007. Fused T3 - L5. Correction to 23°. Happy!

Comment

Optimist,

Surgery is a very scary thing. I've been running from surgery for the last 25 years. My parents were against the surgery back in the 70's not only because of the evasiveness of the surgery in itself but the horrible post op body cast, etc. that you had to go through. So I too have waited a long time to finally consider surgery. Not only for cosmetic reasons but for health reasons as well.

I think it's most important to consider surgery once you feel pain and/or feel the effects on your lungs. For me, once the pain started and I started to feel more out of breath, then I started to consider surgery. That's when I found out that my curve progressed 20 degrees and I was only breathing at 50%...not good.

I'm glad I waited until now. Surgery is still very scary, but there are so many good doctors out there and so many successful surgeries. And of course, this forum is an amazing support. There are so many great people on here with great information. Good luck in your decision.
      MishP
      38 y/o
      Diagnosed with Scoliosis at age 6 - Bracing didn't help
      Brace off at age 12
      Saw Chiropractor/massage therapist
      Pre-op
      Upper Curve - 115 degrees
      Lower Curve - 85 degrees
      9/18/07 Anterior/posterior surgery w/Dr. Boachie-Adjei
      Fused T2-L3
      Not sure of post-op correction

Comment