alone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• alone?

today i was sitting in my LAL class wandering off im my mind when i was supposed to be reading something.. and i realized something.

out of the approx. 900 kids in my school, im the ONLY ONE with a brace.

im proud, sure but is this something to be proud of? this other girl had it but she doesnt have to wear it no more. =[ that luckyyyyyyyyyy.

so if having a brace 1 in 900? or is it just me?

should i be proud? or not? should i walk around "showing it off?!"

suggestions?
    i have scoliosis. third boston brace. (:

It's not so much being proud of having, or wearing the brace, but of being able to cope with it and go on with your life while using it. With that said, if you want to show off your brace, there's absolutely no reason why you can't. The only thing is that if you are planning to do so at school, I would make sure that it's cool with the school officials. I think it's a given that you are not going to dress in a revealing manner, but wearing your brace over your clothes as the "outer layer" may be considered by some to be inappropriate. If allowed to, it would send a message loud and clear to your peers, and that is that you have no problems with wearing a brace. Yes, there is the possibility that you will get some negative comments from some if you do this, but most will be because you have struck a nerve with them, and unintentionally made them uncomfortable. They have been forced to face their own vulnerabilities. If you have a good self image, and are proud of yourself, then the negative comments shouldn't bother you. Hang tough!

Comment

I seriuosly doubt that out of 900 kids you are the only one with a brace. When my daughter was prescribed a brace, we thought she was the only one. Boy were we wrong! Once she started talking about her brace, we found out that there were several other kids in her school who wore a brace. We were even more shocked to find out that she wasn't the only one facing surgery for Scoliosis. There was another child earlier that year and also a child who had surgery the previous year.

Mary Lou
      Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

hmmm.....Slice said it so well there's not much I can add except I was the first girl in my middle school to wear a brace. I wore a Milwaukee, a short time after another girl got a Boston, but then she moved. Then on to high school, where I definitely was the only person to wear a brace of any kind. After I (kind of) got over the shock, embarrassment and hurtful stares and comments, I guess I got mad and stubborn enough to not let it bring me down too much. I still had friends, I kept active in sports and slowly got my self confidence/image back. Like Slice said, its not so much being "proud" about it, but going on with life, not letting it stop you, and living your life with integrity, dignity and not letting others bring you down. Take care-

Renee

Comment

I'm the only one in my school of 1000 to have a brace right now. last year a girl had scoli surgery and had a post op brace, but only in September. but that's it... so it is possible to be the only one in your school. Hang in there and it's fine to be proud.... it's not easy to wear a brace!
          Scoliosis for 8 years, Milwaukee, Providence & Boston braces. 35T 42L Dx'd with Chiari Malformation 8/06, decompression surgery + duraplasty 11/24/06.

Comment

When I was in middle and high school, I wore a back brace and I was the only one. I didn't like it and I later realized that the brace just was not working for me.

Comment

My advice about how you should act is to do what's most comfortable for you. If you don't think you're ready to show off your brace or act proud of it, then don't feel like you have to. But if you do, I admire your confidence & think you should go for it :]

I only had to wear my brace to school for a couple of years when I was very young, then I was only wearing it at night. So now that I'm in high school, people don't see me in a brace, & don't know I have scoliosis. Personally, I don't advertise it. At all. I just don't think I'm ready for my friends to know, despite the fact I've been dealing with it for almost 13 years.

I know how you feel about being the only one with it at school. As far as I know, out of a few thousand kids, I'm alone. I think I'd be more open about it if I wasn't, but that's just me. If you feel like you can & want to let people know, I think that's awesome. Not enough people know about scoliosis & appreciate what we go through.

Comment

dont know

People tend to kinda freak when I show them my brace but I mean if you want to thats your choice but I wouldnt........

Comment

there is another girl in my school with a brace, but its for something else and she never wears it cuz it doesnt fit anymore
                  but there and over 2,500 kids at my school...so yeah
                  im sure your not alone...you've always gots us

my name is molly
                  i am 15 and a sophmore in highschool
                  i got my back brace at age 13
                  i should stop wearing it REALLY soon
                  my curves are 38 and 43 degrees
                  i've had scoliosis since i was 7
                  my legs used to be uneven
                  but now they look much more balanced!
                  and hopefully my scoliosis will start to get better
                  Oh, and i'm raising a lamb. her name is Violet and she's super cute!

Comment

hehe thanks everyone. =] <3
                    i have scoliosis. third boston brace. (:

Comment

Working...
                    X