Thread: Question out of curiosity

Question out of curiosity

Does anyone who has had surgery wish they could go back and choose not to have the surgery?
    Just curious if anyone is regretful.
    Lindsey
    T-12 to L-3 posterior fusion
    Surgery July 30, 2007
    Dr. Lenke St. Louis, MO

No Regrets :)

Hey, I posted a reply for the same question in a different section of the forum

here's the link...I wrote a very long reply about the whoooole surgery...from before the surgery....to just after the surgery....to months after the surgery...to now

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showthread.php?t=5077

feel free to email me if you have questions about the surgery, I had it done 2 years ago. I'm 20 years old

ashley_sparks@stream.com

Hi LStephens, no absolutely, no way, not ever have I regretted the surgery and I certainly would not wish ever to go back to what it was like before.

Macky
    Operation 1966, Fused from T4 to L3, had Harrington rods inserted. Originally had an 85 degree Thoracic curve with lumbar scoliosis as well but had a good correction.
    Perfectly normal life till 1997 but now in a lot of pain daily. Consider myself very fortunate though.

No way - even despite having had complications from surgery and scoliosis (flatback), I definitely don't regret it. The problems I would have likely had without any of my surgeries would have been worse.
    Cena
    Nov. 2006 - revision surgery
    Aug. 1992 - revision surgery for hook removal and pseudoarthrosis
    July 1989 - Cortrell Doubosett procedure - two rods and fusion T4-L4 (age 13)

Ashley
    Thanks so much for that link! That's exactly what I needed to hear from someone. Makes me feel a lot better about the decision I have to make and the way I've been leaning.
    Lindsey
    Lindsey
    Surgery July 30, 2007
    Dr. Lenke St. Louis, MO

Hi Lindsey,

It is so easy to second guess the decision of surgery or not!!! I did it many times. Of course, we all have different circumstances, but I have to say in all honesty that I had days where I wished I hadn't done it, on the bad days, and then I would have good days that I was so glad I did!!!

Shari

Hi Lindsey,

I posted a thread on this subject called "Any Regrets?" when I first came on board. I had a string of responses with no one saying they were sorry for having gone ahead with surgery.

I envy you younger people. Today advancements have made this surgery far superior over what was being done when I was an adolescent. If you have two or three surgeons recommending surgery, my advice is to do it now while you're young. It doesn't get any easier as you get older.

Good luck,

Chris

That's where I'm tettering...I've had surgeons tell me that surgery would be likely in the future. Recently went to a surgeon who i respect a lot who had no hesitation on surgery if I want it.
    My curve isn't progressing but does give me significant discomfort as well as the fact that I'm self-conscious about my appearance because of it.
    That's why I'm so curious about other's experience because my situation is somewhat different from others on the site.
    Lindsey
    Surgery July 30, 2007
    Dr. Lenke St. Louis, MO

Surgery has helped me soooo much, I wish I would have done it sooner. I was in constant pain before surgery. I am much better off and the cosmetic benefits are wonderful.
    surgery 9/06
    Rothman institute