Travel suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Travel suggestions

I'm looking for advice on traveling situations.
    I have a surgery date in June in St. Louis, MO...my recovery will be at my parents home in Montgomery, AL (about 9 hours apart).
    Would you recommend driving or flying? Thanks!
    Lindsey
    T-12 to L-3 posterior fusion
    Surgery July 30, 2007
    Dr. Lenke St. Louis, MO

9 hours...

Will it still be 9 hours if you fly? I would take whichever route is shortest. I only drove 10 minutes from the hospital to my home and it was horrendous. Flying might be more comfortable, but also might be a bigger hassle getting yourself through security, onto the plane, etc. BUT you would definitley qualify for a wheelchair & quick service, first seating, and all that...

Either way, take lots of pillows, and whatever pain medication you are prescribed, so you can make it the most comfortable possible. Good luck my dear!
    lisanicolegrace
    29/F/Canada
    Surgery - 11/10/2000
    80° curve to 19° post op.
    www.lisanicolegrace.com
    @lisanicolegrace
    facebook
    x-rays
    picture of my back

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion Lisa!
      I guess I'll speak with the nurse at pre-op and see her suggestions...I'm sure that the flying would be less than nine hours...assuming that flights aren't delayed too much...which hasn't been my experience lately
      Lindsey
      T-12 to L-3 posterior fusion
      Surgery July 30, 2007
      Dr. Lenke St. Louis, MO

Comment

Lindsey,

My 2nd revision surgery is June 4th out in Amarillo Texas. I'm in Houston, about a 12 hour car drive between the two citites. I will be flying to and from for my surgery, it's only a 2 to 2 1/2 hour flight. After my other two surgeries the 45 minute car drive home was no fun!
        Theresa

April 8 & 12, 2004 - Anterior/Posterior surgery 15 hours & 7 hours
        Thorasic - 79 degree down to 22
        Lumbar - 44 degree down to 18
        Fused T2 to sacrum
        June 2, 2005 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @L3 7 hours
        MAY 21, 2007 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @ L2, extended the fusion to S2 and added pelvic instrumentation 9 hours

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

Theresa,

May I ask why you have to undergo a second revision?

Chris

Comment

Chris,

My sagital balance is still not correct. Dr. LaGrone says I still need to be pulled back about another 10 degrees. I am already fused to the sacrum, but I still have some movement that they think is coming from a hemi-vertrabra, so he will also extend the fusion futher on down the sacrum. Hopefully this will help decrease the amount of pain that I am having in that area.
            Theresa

Fused T2 to sacrum
            MAY 21, 2007 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @ L2, extended the fusion to S2 and added pelvic instrumentation 9 hours

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

Lindsey,
              I had surgery in New York and live in Georgia- I flew after 3 1/2 weeks. It was not comfortable but it was bearable-definitley better than a long car ride! They had wheelchair assistance for me and once I was on the plane I stood up when I needed to and walked the aisles. You'll be fine!
              Cathie

Comment

Theresa...

Did Dr. LaGrone do your first osteotomy or another doctor? For some reason I do not recall if he or not.

Thanks.

Your Houston bud

Marilyn

1975 Clear hard plastic body cast worn
                1976 Operated for high grade Spondylolisthesis; lumbar fused from L2-Sacrum and Harrington rods inserted
                1976 Wore regular type body cast and in bed rest for 1 year
                1977 Rods removed
                2006 Diagnosed with Flat back syndrome with sagittal imbalance
                2008 Scheduled for wide pedicle subtraction osteotomy, sooner if pain increases

My email is ahlan_warda@yahoo.com

Comment

Marilyn,

Dr. Reitman (here in Houston) did my original surgery in April 2004 and he did my first osteotomy in June 2005. He was actually thinking of doing one during the first surgery, but since the surgery had taken so long he decided to wait and see how I receovered.
                  Theresa

Fused T2 to sacrum

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

Working...
                  X