No announcement yet.

Surgery or No Surgery?... & therein lies the problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think it is a very hard decision to make when a doctor says that you are in the "gray area." My decision to have surgery was solely based on the fact that I was in pain. Every day of my life. And it was starting to prevent me from doing things that I wanted to do.
    I had a thoracic curve only, lumbar was pretty much straight. When I was 13, my curve was 12 degrees. Then, during college, I think it was somewhere in the 20's. Last January, it was 37 and this past September it was 45 degrees. I know that what Brian said about error in measuring the curve, but if there was any chance of my curve progressing 8 degrees in 8 months, I wasn't going to let it get any worse!!
    Bottom line, is that usually when a curve is in the 40's they don't push surgery. My surgeon (Dr. Boachie) told me flat out that if I didn't do anything now, it would get significantly worse. I couldn't think of having children and then doing this, so I went ahead and did it. Wow...to think it was 4 weeks ago tomorrow is crazy!
    I am very glad that I made the decision, because the past few years, going back and forth, and the anticipation of surgery and recovery, for me was far worse than the surgery itself and what I am going through now. I would, without a doubt, do it all over again if I had to.
    I know that the day is coming that I'll be fully recovered and I won't live with pain anymore, and that is the best thought in the world!
    You really have to make your decision based on how you feel, and your quality of life. You can't always listen only to the doctors, because I was told when I was a teenager that my curve wouldn't get worse. And obviously that was not true!
    Best of luck with your decision....and keep us posted!
    Lesly

Comment

Working...
    X