Grim News from Seasoned Surgeon in Chicago

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grim News from Seasoned Surgeon in Chicago

I had my sixth consultation with a surgeon yesterday. This surgeon is a veteran in his field and has been performing adult scoliosis surgeries for many years. He allotted me two hours of his time and was brutally frank. The bad news is I will require extensive surgery and I am high-risk. The good news is that I have finally gotten two consenting opinions. This surgeon recommends fusion of my entire spine in three operations. He also pointed out to me that because of the size and location of my curve, I am at a much higher risk for paralysis. He specifically referred to one of my MRI images and my most recent x-ray and explained to me what’s happening to some of my vertebrae. When I asked him what I could expect in the future if I don’t have this surgery, well I’ll just say it ain’t pretty. Interestingly, he mentioned that surgeons are seeing more and more patients like myself…aging baby-boomer females with untreated scoliosis who are presenting with pain and progressive deformities following menopause.

As an aside, for those of you who have had surgery or are contemplating surgery with Dr. Keith Bridwell in St. Louis, this Chicago doc voluntarily told me that Bridwell is “outstanding.”

Chris

Chris,
    I know that most statistics say there is a one in 500 chance of paralysis with this surgery, but it really does SEEM to be a very rare complication these days. If I were you, that would not be my worry. My worry would be, if you don't have this surgery SOON, you only increase the chances of your curve progressing and surgery and recovery being that much more difficult.

There are people on this board with worse curves than yours who have done fine. The odds are in your favor that you will do fine.

Have you talked to Bridwell yet? I can't remember. If I can stick my neck out with another piece of advice, I would STOP getting consultations and pick the guy you had the best gut feeling about. I think all the people you've seen are more than capable of handling your case. Personally, I wouldn't feel comfortable choosing the guy you just saw, who obviously did NOT instill confidence. You want somebody who's not intimidated by your curve!

All the best,
    Chris
    Chris
    A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
    Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
    Post-op curve: 12 degrees
    Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Chris,

This is my life I'm talking about. Considering the magnitude of this surgery, I will get as many consultations as I deem necessary. And for those of us who are older, my best advice is to not stop at just one or two opinions. The surgeon I saw yesterday, believe it or not, is the one I felt most comfortable with and I did appreciate his candor. He spoke about a recent patient of his who, in spite of his best efforts and his superior surgical team, did suffer permanent paralysis. He also told me that of all the surgeons I have seen, each has had patients who became paralyzed. The bottom line is that at my age the risk for serious complications goes up considerably. It's an unavoidable fact. And I'd rather a surgeon give me the hard truth instead of sugar-coating.

Yes, I did see Dr. Bridwell. My immediate impression when I walked into his office at 7:45 am and saw that it was already packed with patients was boy, this surgeon must be high in demand. And if I had a spouse or family member who would accompany me to St. Louis for surgey, I would probably select him, but I'm having a hard enough time to get my family to support me locally.

Chris

Comment

Facing Surgery in April

I am in Denver and after 40 years of progressive but pain free worsening I am now at about 75% curve between L4 and T4. I am 58, female and single and facing this on my own is daunting, if not overwhelming. I don't know how to prepare for the whole thing. I am scheduled for April 23. I would really like to hear from other age peers who have gone through this to learn how to prepare (physically, mentally, spiritually, emotionally!) and how the recovery went.

Comment

Chris, I'm going to be 52 when I have this done -- not much younger than you. Point taken about the risks and the need for consultations.

I'll say it again: the odds are in our favor that we will be okay. I truly believe that, or I wouldn't even consider having such serious surgery.
          Chris
          A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
          Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
          Post-op curve: 12 degrees
          Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Chriswbs---no chance you'd have Boachie take a look at you?? Bsprings went to him from Georgia.. & then she stayed at the rehab next to the hospital...Ly

patica--maybe my blog will help you. I'm post-op 5 mths and I feel very good now..Ly http://lynnebackattack.blogspot,com
            Last edited by lelc2002@yahoo; 01-16-2007, 03:11 PM.

Comment

TO: Patika 48

Hi. I know exactly how you feel. I will be 58 in May. I'm single and facing this alone as well. At best I have two siblings who think I'm facing the equivalency of an appendectomy and a sister who's a nurse who thinks I'm crazy to proceed with this. When I told her over a year ago that I'm looking into surgery, her response to me was, "Do you know how we treat people with metal in their spines?"

I'm surprised that you were even able to get a surgery date. I have no choice but to go to my appointments by myself, and I think surgeons have been reluctant to tell me the whole truth about this surgery because they see that I am alone. I had one surgeon tell me he does not want to see me again unless I am accompanied by a family member. Yesterday's experience was refreshing because I felt I was finally being told the whole truth about this surgery. I do believe the surgeon was expecting me to break down and cry. But I remained very stoic. He doesn't know how strong I am. When I asked him if women like me who are all alone just forego this surgery, he said, "you will have this surgery; you have to."

One way or another, we'll get through this.

Chris

Comment

I was helped at 60

For all you ladies who are dealing with this in later middle age:

It does not go away by itself---and if progressing like mine did--assuming, as I did based on the average longevity in my family, I had 20+ years normal life expectancy ahead, I figured I wanted to have the best quality of life possible.
                I also did not want to burden my dear husband with an increasingly debilitated spouse.

It is a lonely decision because, unless one lives with scoliosis, no one else has a clue. Family members may also be uninformed (yes, including nurses) and in denial.

As far as paralysis goes and other possible complications, the surgeon MUST tell you legally. Spinal cord monitoring is carried out to assure spinal nerve integrity is maintained throught the surgery. Fortunately, this complication is rare.
                What helps is talking to patients operated on by the surgeon you choose.
                I also did not waste my time on people who could not give me the support I needed.
                Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
                Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

Chris WBS,

I have followed your posts and held my breath as you go for consult after consult hoping this one will be the right Dr. for you. I can only say you need to go with the surgeon whom you most feel comfortable with as well as who instills your confidence in their ability to help you. As my Dr. put it "It's like a marriage" You will see your surgeon for years for check ups. I totally agree with Karen Ocker about the paralysis. The spinal cord monitoring is extensive. Did you see extreme surgeries with Dr. Boachie on it? The Dr. who was monitoring the spinal cord would tell Dr. Boachie when it was compromised and he would back off and work elsewhere or try a different approach. This is common practice during these surgeries. They have to cover themselves and warn us of all the possible complications. True at your age you might have one or two like Linda said back a few days or so ago. But I have seen you post in the past, after finding out about another possible complication, something like "that's it I'm not having this surgery". You will feel a sense of peace when you find the right Dr. and then begin to look forward to the rest of a much improved life. I also wish for you then, a positive attitude toward this whole thing. All the best, Suzy

Comment

To the contrary of many consultations, I saw many doctors who couldn't help me. I found my surgeon on the internet and after two appointments scheduled surgery. I did feel co9mfortable with him. I found myself staring at his hands to make sure they were steady. Chris it was the best decision I ever made. It was a tough recovery, much tougher than I thought and I had a few minor complications. My surgeon also wanted a family member with me at the last appt before my surgery and I think it was to impress upon them how tough of a recovery it was going yo be. Once I made up my mind that I couldn't live with the pain or the deformity the decision was pretty clear. I hope you make the right decision for yourself and keep a positive outlook. Honestly I was at peace with my decision the day of my surgery even though I thought I was going to be a basket case. Sorry for rambling.
                    surgery 9/06
                    Rothman institute

Comment

49 and having surgery 02/21/2007

Originally posted by patika48
                      I am in Denver and after 40 years of progressive but pain free worsening I am now at about 75% curve between L4 and T4. I am 58, female and single and facing this on my own is daunting, if not overwhelming. I don't know how to prepare for the whole thing. I am scheduled for April 23. I would really like to hear from other age peers who have gone through this to learn how to prepare (physically, mentally, spiritually, emotionally!) and how the recovery went.
                      I am 49 and undergoing surgery February 21st of this year. I am having it done by Dr. Munish Gupta at UC Davis Medical Center in Sacramento, CA. I saw three surgeons, and he was the one who was the most confident and said no problem, and I have requested no blood transfusion products, so it will be a three stage surgery.

I used to be so anxious about the surgery I started vomiting several times a day for two months, but now that is getting better. I just want to get it over with. I do Pilates every day and weightbearing leg lifts to increase the strength in my legs, which is what you will be using a lot of during recovery. I take relaxing baths and just X off each day on the calendar. Eat nutritious meals and take a multivitamin.

Take care.

KKong

Comment

I just want to wish you Chris WBS all the very best. I am so glad I had my operation when I did.

A huge decision for you I know, Chris there have been so many successful stories here on this forum and some of them have answered your post.

I think your best line was" I remained very stoic, he doesnt know how strong I am" Atta girl, good attitude.

Thinking of you,

God bless,
                        Macky
                        Last edited by macky; 01-17-2007, 12:07 AM.
                        Operation 1966, Fused from T4 to L3, had Harrington rods inserted. Originally had an 85 degree Thoracic curve with lumbar scoliosis as well but had a good correction.
                        Perfectly normal life till 1997 but now in a lot of pain daily. Consider myself very fortunate though.

Comment

Chris,

Which surgeon, if you don't mind my asking?

Tom
                          Age 54, 30C-50T-40L
                          western suburbs of Chicago

Comment

Hi Chris W,

Our situations are all very difficult for various reasons. It's a tough decision to make one way or the other, and to not have a support system around you makes me sad.

You've already been given some good advice. But something you said struck me and I just have to ask you about it. You mentioned what your sister said about, "how we treat people with metal in their spines".

Did she tell you how they actually do treat people like us???

Shari

Comment

Hi Chris,

I had the same question Shari just asked. What did your sister mean? How do they treat people with metal in their spine?

Comment

Working...
                              X