No announcement yet.

Dilema with timing of surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wow, 77 degrees...that's really intense...but I'm glad things are better for you now! The doctor said that I don't NEED the surgery, and that it would be more cosmetic than anything...but I still have alot of back pain. I just don't know anymore...it isn't that my parent's insurance wont cover it, they just dont want to have the guilt if something goes wrong...which I think is completely absurd...

regardless, I trust my doctor's opinion, I suppose. He's pretty well known...he was the guy who operated on Gloria Estefan when she got in her car accident. I just hope my curve doesn't progress any more than it has...

Comment

As far as I know Gloria Estefan was not operated on for scoliosis. I also believe the doctor in question is nearing retirement.
      Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
      Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpag...50C0A966958260

I'm not sure if she actually had the surgery, but it was her physician none-the-less.

As far as him retiring...well, he hasn't said anything about it. He's Dr. Neuwirth from the Beth Israel facility in Manhattan.

Comment

Hi...I wonder if she was operated for spondylolisthesis. Interesting.

Marilyn
          Last edited by MariHOU; 01-18-2007, 08:31 PM.

1975 Clear hard plastic body cast worn
          1976 Operated for high grade Spondylolisthesis; lumbar fused from L2-Sacrum and Harrington rods inserted
          1976 Wore regular type body cast and in bed rest for 1 year
          1977 Rods removed
          2006 Diagnosed with Flat back syndrome with sagittal imbalance
          2008 Scheduled for wide pedicle subtraction osteotomy, sooner if pain increases

My email is ahlan_warda@yahoo.com

Comment

Hey there Marilyn,

I talked to Kelly at Dr. LaGrone's office yesterday. He faxed me a list of hotels and suites, one hotel is right across the street from the hospital.

I also got an answer to one of my questions, stitches or staples? He tries very hard not to use staaples. Usually they are only used if there is a spinal fluid leak problem. The stitches are usually done so that you don't see them.
            Theresa

April 8 & 12, 2004 - Anterior/Posterior surgery 15 hours & 7 hours
            Thorasic - 79 degree down to 22
            Lumbar - 44 degree down to 18
            Fused T2 to sacrum
            June 2, 2005 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @L3 7 hours
            MAY 21, 2007 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @ L2, extended the fusion to S2 and added pelvic instrumentation 9 hours

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

Deb, just love the DONT WAIT TO GET STRAIGHT.

I have been sitting here thinking while reading these posts and my story is well so different.
              My scoliosis was found when I was twelve and from that moment there was never any suggestion that I would not have the operation. Now remember this was in the very, very early stages here in Australia and there was only one doctor in the Southern Hemisphere that could do the operation.
              I had to wait until I was 15 to actually have the operation because by that time the doctor performing it had honestly seen Mr Harrington perform the operation. I was totally hunched over. My ribs were almost to my side, my hips were up and down. I was a mess. I have put my curvature down at 85 degrees but that would have been the least it was.

Even though we had no money, my mum and dad had separated but medical benefits here in Australia as far as the government paying for these things were at that stage really good.

You know as I said before there was never, ever any question. I just accepted the operation had to be done, so did my darling mum and her strength was unbelievable.

I was so lucky. Sorry about rambling on like that, but it must have been so terrible for her and she must have been so scared yet she never once was negative. God bless her always.

Biddy, you need support. Golly I do wish I could help you. I can be strong for you, and give you strength, but I am so far away. Maybe honey that is why you have been guided to this forum, any hope of getting your mum or dad to have a look at some posts.?? Printing them out and leaving them around and ask them to please have a look at them, and explain they are from real people who have a problem just like you. Dunno, just thought it may help them to see what you are facing and where you are coming from.

Bless you,
              Macky xxxx
              Last edited by macky; 01-19-2007, 04:47 AM.
              Operation 1966, Fused from T4 to L3, had Harrington rods inserted. Originally had an 85 degree Thoracic curve with lumbar scoliosis as well but had a good correction.
              Perfectly normal life till 1997 but now in a lot of pain daily. Consider myself very fortunate though.

Comment

Sorry, Me again. Biddy if your scoliosis does get worse, I know you will be able to deal with it. Sometimes we dont realise how strong we are until we are actually tested.

Honestly the stories on this forum from the people here, are just unbelievable.
                All your strength, bravery, attitude, love for other people, and the help you all are always giving out, honestly you are all "Scoliosis Angels" in my eyes.

bless you and all the other registered members of this forum,
                Macky
                Last edited by macky; 01-19-2007, 04:58 AM.
                Operation 1966, Fused from T4 to L3, had Harrington rods inserted. Originally had an 85 degree Thoracic curve with lumbar scoliosis as well but had a good correction.
                Perfectly normal life till 1997 but now in a lot of pain daily. Consider myself very fortunate though.

Comment

Working...
                X