Over fifty- returning to work - post surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Over fifty- returning to work - post surgery

How long did it take those of you over fifty years old (or even forties) who had surgery to return to work? I'm talking about desk jobs primarily. Please include when you were even able to go part time. I am 54 years old, but in good physical shape and no medical problems (ie high blood pressure, cholesterol, diabetes) Thanks!
    Age 54, 30C-50T-40L
    western suburbs of Chicago

Hi...

Because I worked from home, I was working part time at around 7-8 weeks postop. I had my surgery 14 years ago at the age of 42. In the past few years, I've known a lot of people who were able to go back to work much sooner. So, it all depends. I think most surgeons suggest that patients plan on being off for 6 months, so they're not surprised when they can't get back to work sooner.

Another big element is what you do for a living. If you have to do any physical work, I'm guessing that your surgeon will recommend that you wait at least 6 months. If you sit all the time, you may have to wait awhile as well, depending on how low your fusion will go.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

I went back to work at 5 months post op. It was really tough! I would come home so exhausted that I would have to take a 2 hour nap. I was usually in bed by 8 pm and asleep by 9 pm. My job was a combination of sitting and walking which was really good. Sometimes it hurt more to sit than to walk.
      Theresa

April 8 & 12, 2004 - Anterior/Posterior surgery 15 hours & 7 hours
      Thorasic - 79 degree down to 22
      Lumbar - 44 degree down to 18
      Fused T2 to sacrum
      June 2, 2005 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @L3 7 hours
      MAY 21, 2007 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @ L2, extended the fusion to S2 and added pelvic instrumentation 9 hours

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

Over fifty - returning to work

After my first surgery at 57, I went back to work after3 months. It only took a couple of days for me and my manager to see that I wasn't ready. They agreed to let me work on the computer from home (in bed!), so I did that for about another month. When I did go back to the office, I would come home and crawl right in bed. I had never felt so exhausted in my life. Obviously, it gets better over time.
        trulyaries
        FeliciaFeliciaFelicia
        10/24/00 posterior fusion T4-L4 at age 57
        8/5/05 posterior surgery for spinal stenosis at L4-L5; laminectomy and fusion
        5/14/07 posterior revision with fusion to sacrum
        2/11/08 anterior discectomy L5-S1, and reinforcement of fusion with plate attached to L5-S1
        3/9/2011 and 3/11/2011 revision surgery with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis - complete revision and fusion with instrumentation from T1 to sacrum, one lumbar osteotomy.

Comment

Going back to work Tuesday

If the ice storm is over on Tuesday, I will be going back to work at 12 weeks. I will be 51 at the end of this month.

I went to a few meetings and lectured once last week to get myself in the mix. It wasn't too bad. I have scheduled Physical therapy in the early afternoon so I know I will be leaving early and getting home before traffic. I will cut back if it is too much.

I'll keep you posted. I am going crazy at home, so I am motivated to make this work at least part-time.

Joan

Comment

That's the reason why I continued to attend work, because there comes a time when you need to get out and be with other people and doing different things.
            Theresa

April 8 & 12, 2004 - Anterior/Posterior surgery 15 hours & 7 hours
            Thorasic - 79 degree down to 22
            Lumbar - 44 degree down to 18
            Fused T2 to sacrum
            June 2, 2005 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @L3 7 hours
            MAY 21, 2007 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @ L2, extended the fusion to S2 and added pelvic instrumentation 9 hours

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

I'm 54 and i am a guidance counselor at school... My surgeries were in October (2005) and i returned to work at the first of January. It was exhausting because i had to walk all over the building to the different classrooms and stand during the lessons. The commute of 50 miles round-trip was rough, too. Especially as road construction was going on and i felt every bump and rattle. In a way i wish i'd waited longer to start back, but in another way i'm glad that i went ahead and got out of the house and forced myself to do all that i could do.
              Last edited by JoAnn5; 01-17-2007, 09:23 AM.

Comment

I am 39 and I am a retail manager. I have a physical job but I can sit or stand whenever I feel like it. I have been in unofficially to give direction at about 12 weeks. I am going to the dr on Wednesday so I hope he will at least let me go back part time. Two weeks ago I actually went in and changed some displays around. It felt good but I was tired when I got home but not as sore as I thought I would be.
                surgery 9/06
                Rothman institute

Comment

Working...
                X