Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm Home!!

Hi All,

I just wanted to give you an update. My surgery was last wednesday (Jan 3rd) and I came home yesterday. The surgery went very very well, I am not sure exactly now, but I think he said I had T2-L1 fused and found out morning of that I was having a thorocoplasty (sp?).
    Anyway, everything was wonderful... I had some minor complications while in the hospital. I had two post-op transfusions, because my hemoglobin dropped to 7.7 and then again to 8.2. (I think I mentioned before that I have thalassemia so it's never above 10). Also, my oxygen dropped to 80% so at one point (4 days post-op), they almost put me back in the PACU and they thought I was developing pneumonia, but it turned out ok. I was just having trouble breathing because I'm really sore where he removed the ribs.
    My biggest problem now is figuring out where to sit in the house, I just can't get comfortable! Other than that, everything is great. I don't have an appetite, but I've been drinking ensure and eating fruit (that's all I really want to eat).
    My energy is low, so I just wanted to say hi. I will write more as the days go by... I am going to go lay down now. Thank you so much for all of your support I kept on telling my family in the hospital that I can't wait to get home and tell the people who haven't gotten the surgery yet my experiences, because hearing yours helped so much!!
    I'll write more later.. fading now!!

Lesly

PS- i started reading some of your posts but can't sit up this long so I'll read later, but i have to agree, i'm on oxycodone and oxycontin and i'm SO hot and sweaty and then I'll start shivering!!! It's so weird because I'm always usually cold, and my mom said in the car on the way home she couldnt believe because between me and my 8 month pregnant sister, we had the air on 60 degrees and we're always both freezing all of the time!!

Hi Lesly - glad to hear you're doing okay! I don't know if it will work for you, but I found that office-type steno chairs are the most comfortable, and you can swivel around to see people, so you don't risk twisting. Either that, or hard, wooden kitchen chairs.
    Take care!
    Cena
    Nov. 2006 - revision surgery
    Aug. 1992 - revision surgery for hook removal and pseudoarthrosis
    July 1989 - Cortrell Doubosett procedure - two rods and fusion T4-L4 (age 13)

Comment

Hi Lesly! I'm so glad that you're home and that your surgery went well! I also found that a slightly padded office chair was the best chair for me. I could adjust the height and swivel to see around me. I moved ours into the living room and used it exclusively. Good luck with the rest of your recovery...we'll be here if you need us!

Comment

Congratulations Lesly!

Welcome Home and congratulations on your successful surgery. Thanks for the update and we look forward to hearing more about your recovery. As soon as you are able, begin to eat healthy and hearty meals to aid in your recovery.

Joan

Comment

Hi Lesly,

It is hard to get comfortable when you first get home!!! I too had my computer chair in my living room, with a few pillows.

Don't feel bad that you need help to feel comfortable and that it may take several different positions to get there over the next few weeks.

I kept changing combinations of chairs and pillows for several weeks.

Shari

Comment

Glad to hear that you are home and doing well. I couldn't sit hardly at all for a while. I layed on my side or stood. I could sit on a hard chair for little intervals. Don't get frustrated though because you will be amazed at how things cme back during recovery. It feels good to reach certain milestones. I look forward to hearing about your progress.
            surgery 9/06
            Rothman institute

Comment

Wonderful to hear you are home and have done so well. I understand the sitting problem. I finally ended up with a lawn chair that has a high padded back and a seat that is not too deep. Also has arms. It took me a month to finally settle on this chair. My computor chair is the most comfortable but the doctor told me not to use it because of the rollers. Just remember this takes time but everyday will be a little better than the day before.
              Linda G

Comment

So glad to hear you are back home. I wish you strength and peace and I look forward to hearing about your recovery (you are another role model for those of us awaiting surgery).

Best,
                Anya
                "You must be the change you want to see in the world."

Previously 55 degree thoracolumbar curve
                Surgery June 5, 2007 - Dr. Clifford Tribus, University of Wisconsin Hospital
                19 degrees post-op!

http://abhbarry.blogspot.com

Comment

lesly, so happy for you on your successful operations. Your rib soreness/numbness will get better week by week....I know that feeling all to well! good luck & keep us posted! Ly

http://lynnebackattack.blogspot.com
                  fused T-11 to L-5/ 5 mths post-op

Comment

Hey Lesly,
                    I am glad to hear you are home and doing okay. I just got confirmation for my op on the 19th Feb and I feel sick.
                    I just wanted to know about your blood situation and anyone else who can help. I have been told I will use 2 pints of blood and I want to donate my own blood to be given back to me. Anyone done this?
                    Good luck with your recovery and look forward to your updates. It really helps me to get prepared.

Comment

Hi
                      I just read the most recent post. I haven't had my surgery yet but was told that I would be required to donate two pints for my surgery in the days pre-op. I know it's common (at least for the doctor I'm using).
                      Lindsey
                      T-12 to L-3 posterior fusion
                      Surgery July 30, 2007
                      Dr. Lenke St. Louis, MO

Comment

I donated 2 units of my blood prior to my surgery and ended up needing them.

Don't be scared, it's very common!!!

Shari

Comment

I had enough time to donate 3 units

There is a time schedule before surgery for donating blood. You can't do it too close to surgery or too far in advance, and you can't donate too often. When you get to the blood and tissue center, they will let you know how many times you can donate before your time runs out. Best to get in touch with them as soon as possible so you can set your donation dates. I gave 3 units and used all three in surgery. Everyone was so friendly at the blood and tissue center and there were regular donors there every time I went. After I recover enough from my surgery, I plan to go back and be a regular donor. The need for blood and plasma is great.

Comment

Miranda,

For my first surgery my daughter and son donated two units for me. I ended up using them and 5 more. The second surgery my daughter and husband donated and I used both of them. For this next surgery he wants 3 units, but I am going to use the blood from the hospital. I will be doing this surgery out of town. I would have to pay quite a bit of money up front to have the blood shipped to were the hospital is. We thought about doing it at the hospital when I got there but they need to have the blood at least seven days before the surgery. We are going up just a few days ahead of time.
                            Theresa

April 8 & 12, 2004 - Anterior/Posterior surgery 15 hours & 7 hours
                            Thorasic - 79 degree down to 22
                            Lumbar - 44 degree down to 18
                            Fused T2 to sacrum
                            June 2, 2005 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @L3 7 hours
                            MAY 21, 2007 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @ L2, extended the fusion to S2 and added pelvic instrumentation 9 hours

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

Thank you so much for all your responses to my question. It really helps me feel a little more informed and will deff push for this to happen.
                              Theresa, you said your family donated blood for you, don't you have to have blood from the same blood group?

Thanks again everyone.
                              M

Comment

Working...
                              X