Home from surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home from surgery

Hi everyone- My surgery was Dec 12 with Dr. Boachie, I got home yesterday. Thanks to all for your prayers! Everything went fine, now I just have to not get impatient with not feeling "normal" yet. I know it will take awhile. My stomach is real distended- swollen-that is the most uncomfortable for me right now. I had 3 curves- the worst was 100-and a terrible kyphosis that caused a big hump- the hump is completely gone-amazing! I still have a 70 deg curve but as Dr. B. says it is "hidden". You would never know I had a curve at all. He said my spine was completely rotated around (A 180 twist) and he had to "unravel" it. It was 11 hours but he did both posterior and anterior the same day. I am gratelful for a succcessful outcome, even though it has been rough at times. Did anyone else have the swollen stomach? How long does it take to go down? I look pregnant. He was not concerned but I feel so uncomfortable. Thanks again all for your support-
    Cathie

Same stomach swelling.

My stomach was also swollen for a few weeks after surgery. People gave me different ideas about why it was like that but it eventually went away. It was uncomfortable and when I asked my doctor, he said to continue eating a healthy, hearty diet. That's what I did and it went away eventually.

Comment

Hi Cathie,

When I came home, my stomach and my thighs and everything in between were very swollen. They told me it was from all the fluids that had been pumped into me after the surgery and that's where it settled. Who knows for sure, but mine did subside after several days.

When I looked at my xrays, my correction was not as good as some other people that have had the surgery, but to me the main thing was that the progression was stopped.

I know that I expected to see a straight spine with some rods and screws attached, but that's not always the case. And the feeling of being impatient and uncomfortable is very normal!!! Just give it some time. Which is hard to do, but it really does get better.

I am always amazed when someone gets on here after such a short period of time after their surgery. I couldn't do it.

All my best,
      Shari

Comment

My stomach actually bothered me more than my back for a long time. It was very uncomfortable plus you add the constipation in the mix. It will get better every day and before you know it it will be fine. One of my first thoughts was I hope this goes away. I wsh you a speedy recovery. I believe walking is suppose to help.
        surgery 9/06
        Rothman institute

Comment

cathie--so happy you are back!!! My stomach took a long time to go back to normal. I feel it is still a bit enlarged on the left side(incision side- at 5 mos.) Plus the rib removal bothered me for several mths after the operations...
          As you know with me, my correction was measured last vist at 59-60 degrees..but I was originally 95 & I had 85 kyphosis......Ly

Comment

Welcome back, Cathie!! I know you had a huge curve so I'm sure it wasn't easy. It's great to hear from you and best wishes for a flatter stomach soon...

Chris
            Chris
            A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
            Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
            Post-op curve: 12 degrees
            Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Best wishes for a speedy recovery, Cathie. You were very fortunate to have Dr. Boachie as your surgeon and I'm happy that he was able to treat you without having to go the route that the other surgeon recommended.

I sure envy those of you who are able to have your surgeries by this fine surgeon. It has to lessen the anxiety, even if just a little.

Chris

Comment

My stomach looked really pregnanat to start with and took a long time to go down completely - maybe as much as 6 months! It does go though, don't worry.
                Double 63(T)/75(L) deg curve with big sideways shift - Surgery in UK on 8th February 2006.
                Post op 30(T)/33(L)
                http://warpedwoman.blogspot.com/

Comment

Thanks everyone for your response! It is good to know others had the swollen tummy problem too and it went away. I have also lost almost 20 lbs and was thin to start with - I tell my friends I look like a pigmy. Stick body with a big swollen stomach- not attractive! But when I see my back minus that awful hump I get happy!!
                  Cathie

Comment

I'm a girl with a small figure, and for a few days I thought I was getting big around the tummy area, too...

But, it's been a month post-op, and my stomach's back to its normal state-no bulging outward!
                    Sandy
                    23 year old female, Analyst, Maryland
                    Diagnosed with scoliosis at age 11; wore the same brace for 3 years and never saw a doctor again until age 23
                    65 degree curve reduced to 28 degree after surgery
                    Posterior spinal fusion (T-2 to L-2) with segmental instrumentation and iliac crest graft surgery, December 4, 2006
                    Dr. John Stinson, The Orthopaedic Center, Rockville, Maryland

Comment

Working...
                    X