Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

heard lots of stories about complications...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• heard lots of stories about complications...

ive been hearing alot lately about people getting bloodclots during or after surgery.is that really common and what do the drs do to prevent this from happening.im just really concerned and worried.
    Trudy T60 L70 posterior surgery feb.8th 2007

Gayle, I see your surgery is coming up soon. If I were you I would ask my doctor about absolutely any concerns I may have, it probably will help put your mind at ease.

Good luck
    Macky
    Operation 1966, Fused from T4 to L3, had Harrington rods inserted. Originally had an 85 degree Thoracic curve with lumbar scoliosis as well but had a good correction.
    Perfectly normal life till 1997 but now in a lot of pain daily. Consider myself very fortunate though.

Comment

gayle---I had an excellent physician that I saw prior to my pre-op appmt w/ my surgeon. She asked a lot of questions on family history. I wrote about it in my blog in July. My sister & I totally had forgotten that my middle sister had a blood clot after the birth of her first child... Once that came out, the physician wanted several more tests done on my blood to see if I had this clotting factor which could take time to get done at the lab...it could have held up my surgery but they needed to be safe & see if I had the MTHFR factor. I believe it ended up that I had it. I was just about in tears thinking after all I had waited, the surgery could be postponed. Hours later my surgeon said all would go on & they would take extra precautions for blood clots. Needless to say, I'll never forget that crazy, stressful day.
      It is important to discuss anything in your family history..ie, high blood pressure, blood clots etc...it was amazing to me how my sister & I only remembered that incident when the physician asked, otherwise, not asked, we would have never thought of it. It was so long ago....Ly
      http://lynnebackattack.blogspot.com

Comment

Gayle, Doctor Shelokov did address this with me. I didn't have any problems in that area and I was considered high risk due to breast cancer drugs I take. They will put hose on your legs and a machine that pumps your feet and legs to help prevent this problem. Talk to him about it and he will put you at ease. There are so many questions and so many things that could cause trouble but for the most part none of them happen. The number of people who have this surgery and do well far exceeds the number who have any life threatening problems. One thing I can say for that team of doctors is that they are very much involved with everything going on with you although you may not see them very often. I saw my regular primary doc today and he was very pleased at how well I am doing. I really have not had any unusual problem or pain. Just a lot of rumbling and gas pains in my sides but he gave me meds today to take care of that. Starting my rehab on Friday here at Baylor Grapevine. One thing I would suggest to you is try to make sure that a family member is with you day and night for the first 2 or 3 days. My husband was with me non-stop and made sure that things were handled when they needed to be and that they were done right. The nurses were wonderful but there are some workers that are only there for the paycheck. You can do this and when you're on the other side of it ,you will be glad you did.
        Linda G.

Comment

i had to wear really itchy socks to stop blood clots and i also had to have blood thining injections. i wouldnt worry about i dont think its that common and they do try to prevent it

hope this helps xxx fay
          Fay... curves of 50* and 55* now 16 * after op.

Comment

I had injections every day to prevent clots. I think I had the sock machine thing also for a couple days.
            surgery 9/06
            Rothman institute

Comment

well its good to hear that there are preventive measures to stop blood clots.i was just hearing lots of stories and it was freaking me out.
              Trudy T60 L70 posterior surgery feb.8th 2007

Comment

Hi Gayle,

I had some sort of calf pumps put on my legs that were supposed to prevent any kind of clots after the surgeries. I never had a problem. Ask about them.

Shari

Comment

complications

hi,
                  i had surgery in june to fuse the first 4 vertebrae in my neck. the doc hit an artery and life has not been the same since. i have pain like i never did before. and this doc was supposed to be good. he did not even tell me how long i needed to wear the brace. my life is in shambles. i would not have it done again
                  laura

Comment

Hi Laura,

I hope things get better for you. You will be in my thoughts and prayers!!!

Some of us have had our own complications, and I hope that your's will be minor!!!

All my best,
                    Shari

Comment

Working...
                    X