Exercises..??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exercises..??

Besides Yoga, does anyone know of anything else that I can do, that might lower my back pain?

did you try physical therapy? when i went i got a mausauge and it helped a lot. =]
    i have scoliosis. third boston brace. (:

Comment

I am trying to walk more. Somedays I am really stiff.I was wondering if that new exercise thing called Bean (www.bean.com) some exercises hurt worse then you are on the floor.Has anyone out there try this product?Or how bout that exercise ball?

Comment

Pilates is just as good.
        So is swimming.
        But I'd want to be attempting any of them, yoga included, only with the help of a physical therapist or doctor. They have a much better handle on which components of each are going to work best, and can recommend specific stretches or swimming strokes.

Comment

I've been through alot of treatments when I was in my early 20's, but back then the doctors never told me I had Scoliosis. I just had really bad back pain. Once flu and cold season is done I'll start walking, but there alot of hills here. I did hear of Pilates do help, but wanted to hear it from another person. I can't believe that I've had back pain for years, and I'm finding out in my late 30's that I have Scoliosis. I'm not impressed..

Comment

You can try hanging upside down. I have to do that to get rid of my lower back pain. It really helps.

Comment

just try a back psychyatrist guy i forgot the name i started going 2 one when we got in a car accident!!!!

Comment

Scoliosis Baby a psychiatrist is a doctor who helps with mental disorders of the mind. I may be wrong but I have never heard of a back psychiatrist. Do they have them in America??

Macky
                Operation 1966, Fused from T4 to L3, had Harrington rods inserted. Originally had an 85 degree Thoracic curve with lumbar scoliosis as well but had a good correction.
                Perfectly normal life till 1997 but now in a lot of pain daily. Consider myself very fortunate though.

Comment

Hanging upside down!!! What are we living in the middle ages.
                  There are several things you can do interms of exercises for scoliosis and helping the pain. Just reading through the responses and the forum I think it is really worrying that we are so unknowledgable on things that can benefit us.
                  Pilates is a great way to stetch and build muscles, strengthen your abdominal core. It can also work specifically work on certain areas, so in cases of scoliosis these means working on muscles in the back that are weaker and hollow. You should take Pilates using the equipment and any decent Pilates instructor will know about the right exercises for scoliosis and should look after you.
                  A few years ago I started Gyrotonics. I find this a huge release for tightness, and pain. This uses a very strange piece of equipment but this is much more rotational,3 dimensional than Pilates which is more up and down side to side. It really gets into the core of the spine and works to lengthen and stretch the muscles and back. It again works on muscles that aren't used much as well as your arms, legs hips basically your whole body.
                  These two are done one on one so you will never be doing anything wrong.

Yoga is also really good, in fact the DVD sold on this www is v good. Got it the other day.
                  Other people to see are osteopaths and kinesiologists. But try and go on a recomendation.

Pain comes from the tightness and muscles been knotted around the curve of the spine. Lengthening, stretching and building these muscles not only in the back but the whole body gives huge release of pain and makes you straighter. I know that for a fact.
                  Everyone with scoliosis should try one of the above if not all of them.

Comment

She is probably thinking of a PT.Yet some insurances won't pay for it.So you have to be careful when going to one.

Comment

I ck'd "The Bean" website. It's a version of the stability ball but looks like you can only use it facing upward. I will call them for more info. I use the Stability Exercise Ball both forwards & backwards......draped over it forwards I can open my lower back....draped over it backwards I can open my chest wall. There are books in the public library to give you an idea of exercises. But lately I seem to just lie there & move around creating my own exercises according to where I feel the pain.

I also use a foam roller that I lay on the long way & roll left to right. This massages the tense muscles around my curves. Here's some info I found after a search on the web:

1) The Litelog is a therapy roll designed for use by individuals with balance, neurological, or lower extremity or other physical disabilities. This roll can be used for spinal stabilization, balance, and other exercise programs. Made of Ethafoam, the logs are strong enough to support an individual's standing weight. The solid, closed-cell foam construction allows use in water. OPTIONS: Available in 6 x 12 inches and 6 x 36 inches.

2) Foam Roller Exercises
                      Foam rollers used to be found exclusively in physical therapy offices. Now they’re standard equipment in many gyms and are available for purchase at many exercise equipment stores and online retailers (www.performbetter.com). Foam rollers come in several sizes and two shapes (cylinders and half-cylinders). The following exercises involve a 3-foot cylinder. Expect to pay $15 for a basic roller and up to $35 for a more durable version.
                      Last edited by harmoniesdj; 01-20-2007, 12:26 AM. Reason: left off info

Comment

harmoniesdj, now the foam rollers sound really good. I use an exercise ball and lay on it on my tummy and walk backwards to stretch my back, but there is no way I could lay on my back over it and do the same.
                        I have a memory foam pillow with a flat side and then rounded on the other that may have the same effect as what you described with the foam foller, gonna try it.
                        Thanks for the idea will let you know if it works, but more importantly if I can get up again!!

god bless,
                        Macky xx
                        Last edited by macky; 01-20-2007, 02:10 AM.
                        Operation 1966, Fused from T4 to L3, had Harrington rods inserted. Originally had an 85 degree Thoracic curve with lumbar scoliosis as well but had a good correction.
                        Perfectly normal life till 1997 but now in a lot of pain daily. Consider myself very fortunate though.

Comment

These two are done one on one so you will never be doing anything wrong.
                          ...any decent Pilates instructor will know about the right exercises for scoliosis and should look after you.
                          Yoga and pilates can be very useful... especially yoga. Just to help create a little healthy awareness about these two things though... Most yoga instructors have 200 hours of training, of which only about 20 -30 hours are spent learning and understanding anatomy (not very much at all... they generally know about the basic muscle groups, etc.). Some teachers have 500 hours with a little bit more anatomy knowledge. Pilates is roughly the same story... basic anatomy training and very basic postural/structural understandings. Most of their knowledge comes in the form of learning to teach their specific disciplines (the poses/exercises, their names, sequencing, etc.) , but they are not trained to treat or manage musculoskeletal dysfunctions/conditions unless they are also a PT, physio or the like. Neither of these trainings equip people to work with specific conditions, beyond basic modifications in the exercises for them. 'One on one' doesn't mean that nothing will be done wrong, scoliosis is a complicated condition and requires a thorough understanding of the body to work with properly. The DVD mentioned might be a good start before going to a class or 'one on one' session as it has information that not all teachers have.

A knowledgable instructor with training beyond the norm is highly recommended, as with most things. With that said I do support their use and have practiced yoga for almost 15 years myself. I've found it to be very beneficial. I've also used pilates and gyrotonics... gyrotonics is wonderful as it is not as linear, compressive and isolative as pilates. Each to his/her own.

I say this from experience... my wife is a yoga teacher so I'm quite familiar with what they are trained to do, and what is lacking.

Have fun with them and be safe.

structural

Comment

Physiatrist / Psychiatrist

Macky, I think Scoliosis Baby meant to say she went to a physiatrist (pronounced fiz-i-a-trist) not a psychiatrist. A physiatrist is a physician specializing in physical medicine and rehabilitation. I went to one a few years ago but wasn't thrilled with him, but that's my opinion. Have a good day...LYNN
                            1981 Surgery with Harrington Rod; fused from T2 to L3 - Dr.Keim (at 26 years old)
                            2000 Partial Rod Removal
                            2001 Right Scapular Resection
                            12/07/2010 Surgical stabilization L3 through sacrum with revision harrington rod instrumentation, interbody fusion and pre-sacral fusion L5-S1 - Dr. Boachie (at 56 years old)
                            06/11/14 - Posterior cervical fusion C3 - T3 (Mountaineer System) due to severely arthritic joints - Dr. Patrick O'Leary (at age 59)

Comment

Thankyou Lynn, I think that must have been it. I have not heard of one before but it is interesting and good to learn something new every day. Actually, that is a bit hard to spell too.

God bless,
                              Macky

Comment

Working...
                              X