Mattress types?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mattress types?

Hi - we have a mattress that is failing - we originally thought it was going to be good, however, I wake up horribly sore, and go to sleep feeling like I'm in a valley or hole! There is actually a visible indent in the middle regardless if we flip it! We've been looking at a new mattress set. I'm wondering if anyone has any make that they absolutely love? We were looking at the Tempurpedic memory foam mattresses, and although they felt neat laying on them, I don't know how they would be for my back over the long term. I would love to hear any ideas/experiences/recommendations anyone has had on mattress types! Thanks!
    Cena
    Nov. 2006 - revision surgery
    Aug. 1992 - revision surgery for hook removal and pseudoarthrosis
    July 1989 - Cortrell Doubosett procedure - two rods and fusion T4-L4 (age 13)

Hi Cena...

I've known quite a few people (with scoliosis) who have purchased Tempurpedic mattresses. While some swear by them, others say they are way too stiff. Having used Tempurpedic pillows for many years, I can tell you there can be quite a bit of difference from one item to the next. (I've always used the same pillow, but some are just much too hard.)

If you decide on the Tempurpedic, just be sure to buy it from someone who gives the 30 or 60 day guarantee (and find out if your money will be refunded, or if you only get a merchandise credit).

You can find some product reviews here:

http://www0.epinions.com/Tempur-Pedi...splay_~reviews
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/cus...&s=home-garden
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/cus...&s=home-garden

Also, in addition to the responses you receive here, you might want to do a search (see icon above), as there have been other discussions.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

We purchased a Sleep Number bed when I was 4 months post op and we have never regretted it. Even my husband, who does not have back issues, loves the fact that he can change the firmness of his side if he needs to.

We read in Consumer Reports that you should lay on a mattress for at least 15 mins. before deciding if it will be right for you. We also went to the store on different days to be sure that it felt good when my back felt good and when my back was bothering me. Good luck!

Comment

Thanks for the "mattress buying tips"! When I go back to the stores on Friday with my husband, we'll make sure to spend the time on each bed. Thanks for the tips Linda - I did a search, and found some useful info. I would still appreciate any other opinions people have about mattress types. I'm wondering if anyone uses a memory foam mattress pad, and what you're thoughts are?
        I'm two months post revision surgery, and am finding that I still get some pressure sensitive areas, especially in my upper back, above my previous fusion and rods that I had previously. If we can buy a decent but not crazy expensive bed, then maybe top it with a foam topper too (rather than buying a very expensive foam bed). I did find the tempurpedic difficult to roll out of in the store - I have always had to log roll out with my fusions, so this isn't likely to change!
        I appreciate the ideas and opinions...thank you!
        Cena

Comment

Hi Cena...

I had a 2" memory foam mattress pad that I used for several years and loved it. I took it off my bed about 4-5 years ago, when I started having hot flashes. The memory foam seems to retain heat, and I just found that unbearable. I purchased my mattress pad (Isotonic) from Bed, Bath and Beyond, and it was quite a bit less expensive than the TempurPedic model. Since removing the memory foam pad, I've used a synthetic fiber mattress pad, and it's nice, but not quite as cushy.

Happy shopping!

Regards,
          Linda
          Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
          Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

I have a memory foam topper for my bed right now and we have a ciro-pedic bed. it is made with memory foam and some other material, not any springs. I did look at temperpedic but didnt think long term i would like them. I have heard great things about sleep number and i think we will be getting one really soon. My back is ok with our current bed, but my husband cant sleep on it. He says it is hurting his back too much.

We just returned from my brothers house and he has a temperpedic topper on one of his beds and it really hurt my back. I would defintly suggest to lay in them for a good amount of time and be sure to get a 30 or more day return. I know sleep number offers this and also temperpedic does too if you purchase directly through them.

Good luck..
            Sarah 25 yrs old- Married with three english bulldogs

1995-Surgery for scoliosis fused T3-L3.
            2000-Surgery for Rod breaking, relaced rod and took out upper rods.
            March 2005-Surgery for removal of all rods.
            August 2005-Fusion of T10-T11 due to crack in fusion, Rods put back in.
            August 2006- Surgery for fusion from L4 to sacrum.

Comment

Hi - thanks again for the ideas with the toppers too - I'm having a horrible time with this bed business - it's frustrating! The more I've read about the tempurpedics, I'm feeling a little warry - I've heard they can get hot, and we have weeks in the summer when it's scorching and dry. I think I'm getting achy from being in bed so long too - at 8+ weeks post op, I'm getting up more and more, but still find that I need to take breaks and lay down (or I get stuck with a novel - over the past few weeks I've tackled more than my fair share). I'll see how bed shopping goes tomorrow!

By the way, I wanted to say how much I appreciate everyone on this forum - it's a great place to vent, and get ideas from others in similar situations. Thanks.
              Cena

Comment

I tried one of the high end foam toppers before getting the Sleep Number bed. I found it too stiff, but I was happy to have tried it before spending a couple thousand on a Tempurpedic or Sleep Number.

Comment

I have had a water bed for the past 20 years. I absolutely love it and when I go on holidays cant wait to get back home to comfort. There is a heater on them and that can be adjusted so that in the hot summer it can be lovely and cool.

My back sinks into it and there are no "hot spots".

Macky xx
                  Operation 1966, Fused from T4 to L3, had Harrington rods inserted. Originally had an 85 degree Thoracic curve with lumbar scoliosis as well but had a good correction.
                  Perfectly normal life till 1997 but now in a lot of pain daily. Consider myself very fortunate though.

Comment

So we went shopping again, and I was wondering if anyone has tried a latex foam mattress which doesn't have springs? It felt wonderful in the store. I tried a memory foam mattress again, but didn't like it - I could barely get out! I would love any thoughts on latex mattresses. I read a quick blurb that they weren't good for people with back problems, then heard they were. I would love to know more about this before we jump in! Thanks!
                    Cena

Comment

Cena, when I had my back operated on I was told to go home and sleep on a hard, hard bed. My dear grandfather got a door and put it under my mattress and it was actually comfortable back then I mean.

What I am getting at I have still been told that the only bed to sleep on is a hard one when someone has back porblems and I have found now in my later years they are the most uncomforable out of all of them. There I have been lying on all the mattresses in the retail store, talk about a laugh. Ended up with the water bed.

Latex sounds good as long as it didnt get too hot, my friends brother has bought them for years and loves them but he hasnt got scoliosis.

I think it depends on the person.

Lorraine.
                      Operation 1966, Fused from T4 to L3, had Harrington rods inserted. Originally had an 85 degree Thoracic curve with lumbar scoliosis as well but had a good correction.
                      Perfectly normal life till 1997 but now in a lot of pain daily. Consider myself very fortunate though.

Comment

I have tried a lot of beds, and the only matress I can sleep on is a normal, good and pretty hard one. This was pre and post op, and even if I do wake up often, it's still the best one I can tolerate.

The foam I didn't like at all.
                        35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
                        Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
                        Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
                        Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
                        Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

After much deliberation, we bought a bed - we ended up buying a regular pocket coil mattress, firm, with a nice pillow top. Thanks for your help!
                          Cena

Comment

I use Beautyrest...

The Beautyrest has been by far the best mattress I have ever used... We bought the one with the pillowtop and added our own padding by going to an upholstery store.. It took a couple times to get it just right, but we love it!!

Comment

That was a great idea Ken. So glad you have put it out there, as it will help other people. I would never have thought of doing that. So sorry you have flat back.

God bless
                              Macky ,

Comment

Working...
                              X