10 days post-op!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10 days post-op!

Just wanted to update you all...my surgery was last Thursday, December 14th with Dr. Burkus at the Hughston Orthopedic Hospital in Columbus, GA. I can't say enough wonderful things about Dr. Burkus and his assistant Brian and the nurses and entire staff at the clinic & hospital.

At the pre-op the day before they took more standing and bending x-rays, and then told me that in 5 months since my last appointment, I had developed pretty severe arthritis at L4-L5 (which totally surprised me, I'm 20 years old and have never heard of someone my age with arthritis but it explains a lot of my pain when standing or sitting for any length of time). Originally, they had planned for the anterior approach and fusing T11-L3 with a rib removal. But because of the L4-L5, they decided to fuse T10-L5 instead...which meant that they would do the posterior approach instead. I was all for it, even though I was prepared for the anterior surgery and it meant a longer fusion. I know the posterior surgery is more traditional...to me it just sounds less risky, though I know that the rate of complications is about the same. I was happy about the change anyway.

Day 1-surgery day...I was pretty calm the morning of the surgery, we stayed in Columbus overnight and got to the hospital at 6am. They got things moving pretty quickly...lots of things to sign, I met the anesthesiologist and the person who would monitor my spinal cord & brain during the surgery, and a couple of nurses who would be in the OR. My doctor's PA came by as well to answer any questions, and at around 8:00 they gave me 2 Valium & a Pepcid. They put all kinds of electrode things all over me and started my IV and I was taken into the OR around 9:30. I remember it was freeeeezing and talking to the nurses then my doctor came in and told me they were going to take good care of me. I don't remember them telling me they started the anesthesia, suddenly it was the next night though! haha. I don't remember anything about the wake-up test, though I knew they were going to do one. The surgery took about 3 and 1/2 hours I think, then I was in recovery for a couple of hours, then was taken to ICU (where I had one-on-one care the entire time). My mom and boyfriend said I was in quite a bit of pain on Thursday and was awake and crying, but I don't remember it at ALL. I remember opening my eyes maybe once and noticing the color shirt my boyfriend was wearing for some reason, but that is absolutely all I remember about the day of the surgery. I think this is the day they gave me my blood I donated before the surgery. Apparently I lost 800cc during the surgery...? I don't know if that is more than normal or not.

Day 2-I don't remember anything until late Friday night when my mom and nurse gave me a bed bath. It's strange to me how I don't remember anything up until then, my mom said I even pressed my morphine PCA pump a few times (though she did it a lot for me when I was in a lot of pain) and my family and boyfriend tell me things I said (mostly I asked the same questions over and over again). I even asked my mom to call one of my friends from school and let me talk to her, but I don't remember the conversation! haha

Day 3-This is the first day I was really alert at all. I was in some pain, but used the PCA to manage it. I remember being extremely itchy all over from the morphine. They gave me shots of Vistaril (sp?) which is "anti-spasmodic, anti-nausea, anti-itch"...miracle drug for me that day, and Benadryl through my IV. I was also irritable because I was tired of the catheter and because they had to come and measure me in bed for the brace because they made the wrong kind or something. (I was measured for it pre-op originally). PT and OT also came that day and made me sit up and then move to a chair, which was pretty painful (and irritating because of all my "attachments" and the catheter and all). The nurses had sat me up sometime on Thursday or Friday but this is the first time I remember really moving much. It was just a long day and all I wanted to do was lay in bed, but it seemed like tons of people kept coming in for one reason or another. Plus I had family visiting again that day and I wasn't really up to visiting. Oh, and also, I got a yeast infection that day due to the antibiotics, so I was really upset about that (it just wasn't what I needed right then!). This was definitely my worst day at the hospital, but I had the best nurse that day that got me through it. I was really sad when she had to take me from ICU to a regular room that evening, but she came and visited me the next day.

Day 4-I didn't sleep well the night before, they had taken me off the morphine and started me on Percoset orally and gave me shots of Diloted (sp) in the hip as needed, though I don't remember if that's a pain medicine or an anti-muscle spasm medicine. They also gave me Soma, an anti-muscle spasm pill. I started feeling somewhat better during the day though, I walked up and down the hall with PT and took a shower that evening.

Day 5-This was Monday, they told me I could go home a day early if I wanted to, because all they were doing was giving me pain medicine. I walked some more, got an x-ray taken, took a shower again, and left that afternoon. I don't know exactly what degree of correction they achieved, but I'll know for sure at my 1 month post-op appointment on January 16th. They weren't able to correct as much as expected (I was about 46 degrees and he expected to get me to less than 15 degrees). He told me it was corrected more than 50%, but I was more stiff around L4-L5 than expected. No one said an exact measurement.

I'm having good days and bad days this week at home, I have a lot of pain in my right hip from the bone graft (they also used BMP to accelerate the fusion. How long does that usually take for the bone graft pain to go away? When my Soma starts to wear off, the muscle spasms are pretty painful, but not excruciating. All of my pain is manageable. I have lost some sensation in my upper right leg...it's strange, I can feel pressure, temperature, pain, but not touch, it feels numb. I also have some pain in my right leg sitting up. My hip flexor on that side has been weak and kind of painful ever since the surgery, I can't lift that leg as far as my left. A PT told me it may have something to do with how I was positioned during surgery. I'm not sure, but I hope it comes back eventually. It's not something I couldn't live with though, I can get around fine, except for tightness in my hamstrings and quads. At about 6 days post op, I walked around my block. I haven't been able to do this every day. Like I said, there's good days and bad days. Also, some nights I sleep well and other nights I wake up quite a bit.

I'm sorry this is so long, but I wanted to get everything out while I'm feeling up to it! Thanks for listening. This forum has been a big help to me ever since I started considering surgery.
    -Ashley

Hi Ashley...

I'm glad to hear that you're doing so well.

I'd like to encourage you to walk, even when you have pain, and when you don't feel like it. Walking is the one thing that will continue to accelerate your recovery. Having been through it, I know how difficult it is to get motivated to walk when you're in pain.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

I know that walking is one of the best exercises for our fused spines - I was just wondering how much? ...as much as tolerated? As well, does it carry additional benefits for the bones as well as the development of muscular strength? Is a tredmill for walking a decent substitute during the winter weather? (the last thing I want to do is slip...I did that after my second surgery - it didn't do any damage, but felt awful!) Thanks for the ideas! Happy Holidays to everyone!
      Cena
      Nov. 2006 - revision surgery
      Aug. 1992 - revision surgery for hook removal and pseudoarthrosis
      July 1989 - Cortrell Doubosett procedure - two rods and fusion T4-L4 (age 13)

Comment

Hi Ashley,

All of us that have been through this, know how you are feeling!!! It's so easy to get discouraged by the preconceived notion of how we should heal.
        I thought I was going to back to normal so much sooner than I actually was, and it was a hard adjustment to deal with.

Listen to your body and give it time. Just the fact that you are able to post here is remarkable!!! It took me a few months before I could actually post, I would read alittle as often as possible, but never had the mental or physical strenght to sit at the computer for any lenght of time.

Having been in your position, I think you're doing great. And like Linda said,
        WALK, WALK, WALK!!!

Shari

Comment

Hi Cena,

If I had it to do all over again, I really do wish I would have gotten a treadmill.

I was so afraid to go out in the winter when it snowed, for fear of falling.

Shari

Comment

Winter walking

I think living in Montreal, I can be of help answering this, although this year we're having Fall instead of Winter right now

I have been walking mostly everyday for the past 9-10 years since my first surgery, and even more since my revision last year. A good half hour makes me feel good, and if there is ice outside on the sidewalk I walk in the streets, they're usually clean. I like getting fresh air and when it's really cold(usually under 0 celsius, about 4 months a year), I wear double pants, shirts, dress really warm.

Walking in snow is not really slippery, with good boots it actually works the legs better. Ice is what you need to look for, and avoid it.
            Last edited by sweetness514; 01-07-2007, 01:55 PM.
            35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
            Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
            Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
            Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
            Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

Hi Sweetness - thanks for the tips! You definitely are having a "different" winter there aren't you? We're getting it all here in BC!
              Cena
              Nov. 2006 - revision surgery
              Aug. 1992 - revision surgery for hook removal and pseudoarthrosis
              July 1989 - Cortrell Doubosett procedure - two rods and fusion T4-L4 (age 13)

Comment

Thanks for posting this.

As a 20 year old who will undergo surgery soon, I know everyone recooperates differently, but reading this gives me a little more strength and belief that I will be ok in the end.

Glad to hear you are doing well.

Comment

my story is exactly the same! except i had my surgery the day after yours, December 15th. I absolutely LOVE Dr. Burkus and Brian! They are excellent! And all of the nursing staff were so nice! At one point I remember the nurses telling me that you and I were the only ones in ICU and saying something else about where you were from and stuff but I was so out of it I dont really remember what all she said. Was it painful for you when they did the blood transfusion? It was for me because they only had my whole blood and apparently the IV needle was too small or something. anywho private message me if you want!

Comment

I sent you a private message...it's just so funny that we never met at the hospital and then met on here! haha

I don't remember having pain with my blood transfusion...I don't really remember anything about it actually, I think everything I "remember" about it is what my mom told me later, which is basically just that I received it on the day of or after the surgery.

They got your curve 100% corrected didn't they? That's so awesome. My mom told me that, I don't know if someone if your family told her or maybe Brian did...mine was only "over 50% corrected" (they expected to correct more than that). I was kind of disappointed but my fusion went all the way to L5 and I had arthritis at L4-L5 so I think that's why it was so stiff. I feel like I look straight (from the outside) though...even though my x-rays don't look perfect. What was the degree of your curve and how much did they fuse?

Comment

Working...
                    X