1 year post-op!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1 year post-op!

Well, Joe's 1 yr. post-op was yesterday and everything went very well. His curve(s) currently measure 17T/"0"L. I was concerned that the rib hump may have been increasing but dr. said the "change" I see is due to the fact that the bones are still growing larger. He is now cleared of all restrictions (except contact sports) and can do anything from bowling(scheduled for later today ) to rollercoasters. He has been such a trooper through all of this, I am so proud of him.

I also had the other 2 siblings checked yesterday. Daughter was fine, with my younger son it was noticed there is a slight descrepancy in leg length but that shouldn't pose a problem. Dr. also noticed the slight protrusion in right thoracic/left lumbar but as of yet it is nothing measurable so the recommendation for now is to follow up with pediatrician and keep watch for any changes.

The whole appt. went so much better than I thought. This has been quite a journey and now that we have finally(!) reached this point it feels like a bit of the weight has been taken off our shoulders.

Just wanted to share, hope this gives some encouragement to those awaiting surgery or in recovery that there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Take care and good wishes to all,

Renee

Great News Renee!!!! I enjoy hearing from you as Joe and Shelby's fusions are the same. We reached the 6 month mark this month so we are half way there. For me, the time has actually gone by fast, Shelby would probably have a different answer. We aren't supposed to see her doctor again until the 1 year anniversary. She still doesn't bend much but I think she is a better judge of what she can and can't do than I am. Great news about the other kids too. I also have to keep an eye on my 9 year old son, if he has it I would like to catch his early so we possibly won't have to go through this again. However, it hasn't been nearly as bad as I thought it would be. Congrats to Joe, hope he bowls his best game ever!!!

Kathy
    Daughter Shelby 13y/o
    44T 64L Now 10T 10L
    Posterior Fusion T4-L4
    June 19, 2006

Comment

Hi Renee!

It's been a long time....

I haven't posted in months, largely due to the fact that for some reason, I couldn't log on and I never semed to have the time to figure out what the problem was.

Great news about Joe. What a relief to have this all behind us, huh? I oh-so-remember a year ago when we (the Elizabeths) had a couple of weeks under our belts and Joe was going in for surgery right before Christmas. I was feeling bad for you because it was questionable whether Joe would be out of the hospital by Christmas, right? Glad to hear that he's "good to go."

Liz, too, had her 1-year check up today. Actually, she had her surgery Nov. 30th of last year, but since she's a "college girl" now, we scheduled her appointment to coincide with winter break. Good news from this end too. Everything looks great and other than bungi-jumping, there's not a whole lot that she cannot do. (I say great...who wants their kid bungi-jumping anyway?) She's at Indiana University, where she's playing intramural volleyball and tennis. And the scars look terrific one year later. I'm thrilled she's not self-conscious about them.

Have a worry-free holiday season...we've got lots of blessings to count!

Love, Ann

Comment

I am so happy for all of you Moms and your wonderful children as they reach their one year anniversary.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
        Melissa
        From Bucks County, Pa., USA

Mom to Matthew,19, Jessica, 17, and Nicole, 14
        Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

Hi Kathy, Ann & Melissa!

Thanks for the good wishes-

Kathy, I'm so glad to hear Shelby is doing well. Joe doesn't bend a whole lot either and I never really encouraged him to, but now that he's gotten clearance from dr. that's something he will start working on. May time pass safely & quickly in reaching the 1 yr. mark

Ann, it's great to hear from you! I've been wondering how all the Elizabeths are doing these days. It's so nice to hear Liz is now fully engaged in sports and college life - how has mom adjusted having a child away at college??

Melissa,

Good wishes and prayers that Nicole's bracing is fully successful

Happy Holidays and Best Wishes to all in the coming New Year!

Renee

Comment

Thats such great news! I have been freaking out a little bit lately because my doctor told me that i need surgery. I was absolutely histerical, crying in the doctors office and all. Really embarrassing. That's why I am always on this site.
            Your son's great experience really makes me feel better about the whole surgery thing, along with everyone else's surgery stories.
            I'm so happy for you all, I hope he still feels better and better everyday!!
            <3MOLLY
            })({

my name is molly
            i am 15 and a sophmore in highschool
            i got my back brace at age 13
            i should stop wearing it REALLY soon
            my curves are 38 and 43 degrees
            i've had scoliosis since i was 7
            my legs used to be uneven
            but now they look much more balanced!
            and hopefully my scoliosis will start to get better
            Oh, and i'm raising a lamb. her name is Violet and she's super cute!

Comment

Working...
            X