46 years old, just diagnosed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 46 years old, just diagnosed

Just joined this site. Believe it or not, I was just diagnosed six months ago, at age 46 with severe scoliosis (53 degrees lower spine and 45 degrees upper). Met yesterday with a spinal surgeon to discuss options. Fortunately, I've never had any real discomfort or chronic pain because of it. Surgeon indicated that chances are, I won't have any need for surgery, although he will keep an eye on the curvatures. The only concern I have is my right rib hump, although not uncomfortable, it is prominent. I hope I don't end up looking like the Hunchback of Notre Dame in 20 years!

It's usually only early onset scoliosis where the curve becomes extremely prominent so don't worry about becming badly deformed. Keeping tabs on the situation seems the best option. If you haven't had problems upto now hopefully you'll manage to avoid surgery in future.

Comment

Sorry, but I have to disagree. I have become significantly deformed within a relatively short time, even though I've had scoliosis since adolescence. I've noticed dramatic changes within just the past three years. I've always been tiny-wasted, and clothing with set-in waistbands that fit so well just a few years ago can no longer accommodate the rib cage that has now settled on my pelvis, leaving me with virtually no waistline. It almost seems like my body changed overnight.

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by CHRIS WBS
        can no longer accommodate the rib cage that has now settled on my pelvis, leaving me with virtually no waistline. It almost seems like my body changed overnight.
        I agree. It's pretty common that larger, unfused scoliosis curves often seem to squash one's torso. I was long-waisted as a kid, but am now fairly short waisted.

I do, however, think that the progression of rib humps seems to slow down a bit as one ages.

--Linda
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

I honestly can't speak to its progression, you all would know better the statistics of such. Although I can point out that the "rib humps" you're seeing are the result of the rotation of the thoracic spine, which in turn brings the ribs on the side to which you're rotated further back and the other side forward. I've probably just stated the obvious... .? ...however, something to keep in mind is this: The mechanics of the thoracic and lumbar spine work in the following way. Sidebending is always coupled with a rotation of the spine in the opposite direction of the bend. So when your spine bends to the left, it rotates to the right. Producing a rib hump on the right side of the back as it moves the rib angles posterior (back). These motions always happen together. Even when we lean directly to the right, our spine is rotating slightly to the left to allow that bend to happen... seems counter-intuitive, but that's how it works.

So usually if you see the hump progressing it is also a sign that the bend is increasing. Although a rotation can become more severe without further bending, it is more unusual.

This is a good part of the reason why people 'throw their back out' when doing something as benign as bending over to pick up a pillow. For instance, they bend to the right, reach down to get the pillow next to their right foot, all the while twisting slightly to the right as well. Then oooppps! There goes the back! The forces at the articulations in the spine become so great because of this 'abnormal' positioning that muscles lock up to prevent further instability and then we can't move.

Sorry for the tangent.

all the best,
          structural

Comment

Structural,

That was really interesting, I never realized that when you side bend your spine rotates as well... but now that you pointed it out, everything makes a little more sense. Thanks for sharing!

Abbie
            aBbiE
            22 yr old F,KU college student
            Kyphoscoliosis...
            Scoliosis (25T, 23L) diagnosed @ 14 yrs old; curves June 08 were 45T, 32L with 18 degree rotation
            Kyphosis of 65 degrees...
            I am missing a lumbar vertebrae

Surgery 6/30/2008 with Dr. Lawrence Lenke
            Fused T2-L2

before/after pics
            all smiles!

Comment

Hi Linda,

You say you are fairly short-waisted now. Even after surgery? I was hoping that surgery would open up the space between my rib cage and pelvis. That's where I've lost my height.

QUOTE So when your spine bends to the left, it rotates to the right. Producing a rib hump on the right side of the back.QUOTE

Hi Structural,
              I have a 75 degree lumbar curve convex to the left. My rib hump is also on the left.

Chris

Comment

Chris,
                Hi Structural,
                I have a 75 degree lumbar curve convex to the left. My rib hump is also on the left.
                Yes, also known as a Type II motion. The one I described is Type I.

I kept it simple because it gets more complicated than I thought would be relevant. And Type I is more common.

The universal rule is that bends and rotations always occur together, you can't have one without the other... however, the direction is different depending on positioning of the spine (felxion, Neutral or extension)

Type II bends and rotates to the same side. Type I bends/rotates to the opposite. These mechanics change when the spine is in flexion or extension (except for the cervicals... remains the same)

For instance, if your lumbars are also relatively fixed in extension, excessive lordosis, then it would bend and rotate to the same side.

However, if you have a 'rib hump' it's not from the rotation of the lumbars per se, but the rotation of the thoracic spine. Your ribs are only attached from T1 - T12, the lumbars do not have ribs articulating with them. If you have a Lumbar scoliosis of 75 degrees convex to the left (bending to the left?), I would assume there is a counter rotation in the thoracic back to the right to some degree. (I would imagine there must be unless you're always facing to your left side or the lumbars correct themselves in a very short span of L1 - L5) If so, that's where the rib hump comes in, ...If my assumption is correct, you're lumbars are bending to the left, thoracic to the right (countering the lumbar curve)... therefore with a right thoracic bend the rib hump would be on the left if Type I. Otherwise it would be a longer Type II into the thoracic from the lumbars.

Hard to say which without more info from you. Hope that clarifies rather than confuses the matter more.
                structural
                Last edited by structural75; 12-23-2006, 09:36 AM. Reason: simplification

Comment

I am going to be 47 in April and I found out 7 years ago that I had scoliosis after the birth of my second son.I went threw such pain during my nine months that I couldn't get out of bed.I hate waking up every day with pain.My husband doesn't believe the pain I go threw.I was once so active,playing softball,bowling.And the extra weight I have gained in the middle could be a problem too.I am gald I found this site and maybe I can find out what kind of exercising will be good for me now.I hate feeling like an old lady with these aches and pains.

Gailee-

Comment

Sorry, but I have to disagree. I have become significantly deformed within a relatively short time, even though I've had scoliosis since adolescence. I've noticed dramatic changes within just the past three years. I've always been tiny-wasted, and clothing with set-in waistbands that fit so well just a few years ago can no longer accommodate the rib cage that has now settled on my pelvis, leaving me with virtually no waistline. It almost seems like my body changed overnight.

Chris
                    Chris, I'm dealing with the ribs on the pelvis, myself. Not easy finding clothes to wear, huh? It's very discouraging. I mean, it's so often I want to just crawl in a hole and die!

Comment

after pregnancy...

gail--I'm 47 too & had surgery this past summer.....for a 95 degree curve...I got real crooked after the birth of my second son.....but he is more than worth it....Ly--I lost 4 inches & now have gained & holding at about 1 & 1/2 inches more....

Comment

To Gailee

Don't give up. I am 60 and had a 65/61 S curve. Seven months ago I found scoliosissystems.com. They have a flexible banding system that has changed my life. Every doctor told me I was too old for help. The doctors with this brace (Spine Core) said there were no guarantees but they thought they could help. I was desparate. Well, my curves have decreased to 57.4 and 54.4. I no longer have ANY pain and I have a great deal more energy. The brace is easy to wear and there are no activities you can't do with it on. I wear it about 10 hours a day.

I am here if you have any questions.

Comment

Originally posted by debigolebiwski
                          Chris, I'm dealing with the ribs on the pelvis, myself. Not easy finding clothes to wear, huh? It's very discouraging. I mean, it's so often I want to just crawl in a hole and die!
                          It was a real eye-opener for me when two years ago I was shopping for a dress to wear to my brother's wedding. I was in the wedding party and needed something formal. Nothing fit right. I ended up with a very lovely dress but the bodice had to be completely altered to fit my shrinking torso. I used to model when I was younger (mostly high-end department store fashion shows) and everything fit me to a tee. Right now I wear mostly separates. If I want to give the illusion of height (which I've lost), I wear Kathleen Kirkwood shoulder pads under sweaters and tops. They're sold on QVC and are terrific.

I can't say I want to crawl in a hole and die however. At my age, vanity has become less of an issue and I'm more concerned with the impending disability that I face as this disease progresses. I'm thankful that I can still work and live independently. I admit to getting depressed when I catch glimpse of my deformed back in a 3-way mirror, but then I think about so many other people who are facing far worse diseases and challenges. Look at all our young service people who are coming back from Iraq with their limbs blown off and terribly disfigured faces from explosions. And they have their whole lives ahead of them.

Chris

Comment

I can't say I want to crawl in a hole and die however. At my age, vanity has become less of an issue and I'm more concerned with the impending disability that I face as this disease progresses. Chris
                            I just joined this site and am already sounding like a broken record. But....you don't necessarily have to see this disease progress. I too am extremely short waisted and all the other things that go with a severe (65/61) curve. However, since I found the spine core system, I wear the brace with ease (it is dynamic not static) and my curve has decreased. All my pain, horrific spasms and discomfort is gone and I only wear the brace about 10 hours daily. I really encourage you to look into this (scoliosissystems.com).

Comment

hi Carol, what kind of pain did you have prior to getting your brace? Herniation or bulging disks or stenosis? Thanks!
                              43 year old
                              30-upper
                              41-lower
                              ddd,bulging disks
                              bone spurs
                              osteoarthritis
                              waiting for surgery

Comment

Working...
                              X