Post revision activities

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Post revision activities

Hi everyone - I've found this group very useful, and it feels better knowing there are others out there with similar situations. I was wondering if some of you wouldn't mind posting when you started various activities post revision surgery. I know it varies according to individuals, situations, and surgical procedures, and that we're not to give medical advice. I just thought it would be interesting to know when you started to do such things again as driving, attending classes, swimming, bathing (rather than showering), exercising (and what kind) etc. How long did you sit for - were you able to sit for a tv show or movie? Any problems? I tend to want to push myself to do activities, and find laying in bed now quite boring. Thanks!
    Last edited by Cena75; 12-18-2006, 06:44 PM.
    Cena
    Nov. 2006 - revision surgery
    Aug. 1992 - revision surgery for hook removal and pseudoarthrosis
    July 1989 - Cortrell Doubosett procedure - two rods and fusion T4-L4 (age 13)

Hi again Cena

I have found this time that sitting was pretty easy for a few hours and then lying down just 10 to 20 minutes for the first three months b/c I got a good padded office chair, and also put a pillow for support, it's been great.

I don't bend much, at least for the first year, and mostly walk everyday, and swimming can be started at three months post op, without overdoing it.

My doctor told me not to lift weights for the first year, and be careful about getting in and out of the car for the first three months at least, just to be careful.

I always bathed after the first few weeks, but sitting down in the tub(indian style).

Hope that helps.
    35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
    Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
    Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
    Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
    Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

cena----I had my surgery Aug 1st & I first drove sept 18th...just around the block..checked my blog..
      showering took me a bit longer on my own...I felt tilted to one side-opposite incision side & liked my hubby close by while on the shower chair & to hand me towel & bathrobe. i showered every 4-5 days back then-yuk!--Probably for about 2 mths at that rate.. Never used the bath tub..I still just do showers...still afraid of bending to get into the tub...yet.
      It killed to sit up at the computer..gradually week by week it got better
      funny, I love to vacuum & do remember vacuuming carefully at beg. of Oct...!!! Ly
      T-11 to L5/Boachie/Kim@HSS NYC
      ant/post-aug..
      http://lynnebackattack.blogspot.com

Comment

My first surgery (and second), were over 15 years ago, so I forgot a lot of the smaller details! I find that I can sit up for quite a while, then need to lay down for a half hour or so (or walk around now) to "recharge". I have a tendency to want to do more than I should, so I wanted to see what others have been doing.
        When you mention "bending" do you mean bending to pick something up, or accidental bending as you sit or reach? I think my biggest fear right now is messing it up! (alhtough I've been reassured that the new hardware is in there pretty good!) Thanks again!
        Cena

Comment

Hi Cena...

People who have had both a first surgery and a revision surgery in a relatively short amount of time tell me that that recoveries are similar, at least in terms of resuming activities.

I have a page and some references about resuming activities on my website:

http://www.scoliosislinks.com/PostSurgActivities.htm

Regards,
          Linda
          Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
          Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Bending

I don't bend with my hips to get in the tub, I bend with my knees, as I do for everything else. I just hold onto my grabber, then hold the side of the tub and bend down with knees.
            Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
            Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
            Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

Thanks for the ideas and replies! I get scared because I had a nonunion after my first surgery when I was 13, which had to be repaired. I really don't want to have that happen again (I was really sick after this surgery from the anesthetic and morphine, and don't want to experience that for awhile!). They said I may need surgery again in 15 years or so due to all of the hardware and degeneration, but if I can prevent it for awhile I will do what I can! Is there any suggestions about what can be done to help heal fusions? Any supplements or exercises?
              Thanks!
              Cena

Comment

Walking is the best exercise and the bouncing apparently helps with the fusion healing.

I know how you feel, hang in there

Comment

Working...
                X