Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Twisting of the torso

Hi guys.

My name's Jenny and my curve is roughly 40 degrees lumbar/thoracic (my doctor is vague on the details). Apart from having a small rib hump on my back and the fact that I lean slightly to one side, does anyone else find that scoliosis has affected the position of their ribcage? The left lung seems to protrude forwards while the right goes backwards. It makes carrying things (and at times breathing) very difficult. And don't even get me started on trying to dress the damn thing! lol. I just wanna know if anybody else finds that this... twisting... happens.

x x
    Jenny
    18 years old
    Sept '04 - Diagnosed with 40° thoracic/lumbar curve
    Sept '07 - anterior spinal fusion T8-L2

Hi Jenny,
    Most people with scoliosis I have found have rotation of their spines along with the lateral curvature. It's just another one of those weird things that comes along with the mystery of scoliosis... I think your spine and therefore ribcage will normally twist back on the convex side of your curvature... so for me, (if i didn't mix up convex and concave) my curve goes right on the top so my rib hump is on my right side of my back. (The bump on your back is actually your ribs and is called a rib hump)

Hopefully that's not too confusing. If you do a search for "rib hump" on the forum there should be more threads on this topic.

Abbie
    aBbiE
    22 yr old F,KU college student
    Kyphoscoliosis...
    Scoliosis (25T, 23L) diagnosed @ 14 yrs old; curves June 08 were 45T, 32L with 18 degree rotation
    Kyphosis of 65 degrees...
    I am missing a lumbar vertebrae

Surgery 6/30/2008 with Dr. Lawrence Lenke
    Fused T2-L2

before/after pics
    all smiles!

Comment

Hello Jenny,
      I have three curves in my back, the worst being at 90 degrees in the mid back and I am not eligable for the operation because of a lung condition I have. I have to do yoga stretches for the rest of my life in order to correct the problem and keep my back straight. I also have a rib hump on the right side and, because of my lung disease, I find it harder to breathe than someone with healthy lungs who has scoliosis, because I have more of a limited capacity. Hey, if you would like to talk to me, go ahead and send me a private message. I would love to hear from you.

Comment

Working...
      X