Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hair length

Hi All,

My surgery is less than a month away...ahhhhh!!! So i'm trying to figure out all the little details. One thing that I had planned was to get my hair cut to my shoulders (I was told it's easier to handle and better to have shorter hair to minimize risk of infection). Is this really necessary? I have long hair and I like it long! (and of course, people have been telling me lately that they like it long too- why didnt they ever say that before when I didn't have to cut it!!)

I'd rather not cut it, but since it is such a minor thing if it is important for my health and comfort, I'll do it! (wow, i sound so vain and i'm really not!)

Any thoughts would be much appreciated

Lesly

Hi Lesly...

I personally feel that it's easier to have very long or very short hair. If you have very long hair, just put it into a braid.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

I had hair that fell a couple of inches below my shoulders and it found it much easier to put up in a ponytail or bun than if it was shorter. I also found that lying down with my hair untucked from under my head was much more comfortable than having it tucked under. I did have an infection on the top of my incision where one of the stitches was sticking out (base of my neck) but I don't attribute it to my hair at all as it hardly made contact with my incision. My surgeon says that sometimes it just happens and that the skin does not close around the stitch.

Comment

I have long hair and I went to my salon and had it french braided before my surgery. It turned into a rats nest. I think a regular ponytail or a regular braid would be better.
        surgery 9/06
        Rothman institute

Comment

Thank you all for your info so much!! It's the little things that are worrying me, and with your advice, I don't have to worry so much

Thanks again..

Lesly

Comment

while we're on the hair note...this may be a dumb question but i've never been in the hospital before (my surgery is next thursday!)...but will anyone wash my hair at any time while i'm there? i just can't imagine how yucky i'm going to feel if i can't wash my hair for a week, i'm an every day washer because i need to be!! i know i'll be so out of it i probably won't care, but the idea of it bothers me. i got my hair cut to just below my shoulders a couple of weeks ago so it's still long enough to pull up into a bun or ponytail, but it's still going to feel greasy and dirty. i was thinking of highlighting my hair next week, which dries it out so much i don't have to wash it for a couple days...but i don't know if i want to deal with the upkeep. it seems silly to do it over not being able to wash my hair for a few days!

Comment

Good question Ashley!! The thought of not washing my hair for a week repulses me. I know that they have stuff (I think Bumble and Bumble has it) that is a spray so you don't need water. But, even that doesnt sound too great. Any advice on this could help!! Thanks everyone

Lesly

Comment

Every other day, I had my hair washed and was bathed from head to toe.

Comment

Oh yeah...the hospital used a basin that fits under your head. They use water and real shampoo!!!! YAY! DH and I bought the non water stuff for when I got home and it felt really gross!!! We only used it once and then he washed my hair with regular shampoo from then on.

Comment

I had long hair at the time of my surgery and still do have long hair that strikes a little below my bra clasp. The only problem I had was trying to hold a dryer above my head to dry my hair down straight. It seemed all the dryers were too heavy. I sent my husband to purchase another dryer and the one he brought home seemed just as heavy. Anyway, I got through it and you will too.

My one desire after surgery was to get a short hair cut. I had been hiding my rib hump for so many years. After the rib hump was gone, I just couldn't couldn't part with my hair. I guess you could say it had been my security blanket for so long....and yes, just like you... a bunch of people starting telling me how pretty my hair was...just when I finally thought I had the nerve to cut it!

Gail

Comment

I'm one month post-op, and my hair is a few inches below my shoulders. I got a few inches cut prior to surgery, but now, I'm actually wishing I got it cut shorter - I find I have a tough time brushing and drying it. I have help washing it right now, and my husband helps brush it out. My hair is thick, and I find it gets knotted easily from laying down (even though I'm up more and more, but still have naps ).
                      The hospital didn't wash my hair for a week, and it was awful - greasy, oily, and matted - I was able to pull it back in a ponytail or bun at times when I was up. When I first got home I tried the "waterless" shampoo that you get from medical stores - it was awful, and I only used it once before I used waterproof bandages and had a shower, but I guess it did the job for a few days!
                      I have a shower and wash my hair every other day, and had help lathering and rinsing it.
                      I think it's important to do what makes you happy though during this time!
                      Cena
                      Nov. 2006 - revision surgery
                      Aug. 1992 - revision surgery for hook removal and pseudoarthrosis
                      July 1989 - Cortrell Doubosett procedure - two rods and fusion T4-L4 (age 13)

Comment

I had excellent care in the hospital and had my hair washed and I was bathed every other day. It felt so good to be clean. I also bought the waterless shampoo and still have it a year later--didn't use it but once, and didn't like it. I remember having bed baths the first few days, and then I was taken into the bathroom and strapped into a standing shower chair. It wasn't much fun--I was very weak--but it felt soooooooooo good afterwards. I wore my hair in a ponytail.

Comment

no need to cut hair

Lesly,

With all my 5 surgeries i have had long hair. It has always been in the middle of my back. I have never had a problem with it. No infections or anything else. I just left it in a pony tail most of the time and when it came to washing for the first couple times i had someone help me. In my opinion unless you are bald it will all be the same for you. I would not cut it if you like it long. I dont think it will make any difference at all and this is coming from someone who has had many surgeries!
                          Sarah 25 yrs old- Married with three english bulldogs

1995-Surgery for scoliosis fused T3-L3.
                          2000-Surgery for Rod breaking, relaced rod and took out upper rods.
                          March 2005-Surgery for removal of all rods.
                          August 2005-Fusion of T10-T11 due to crack in fusion, Rods put back in.
                          August 2006- Surgery for fusion from L4 to sacrum.

Comment

Lesly, I had my hair cut before surgery to above my shoulders. Boy am iIglad I did. It was much easier to take care of. I never had my hair washed but one time while in hospital and that was with that waterless shampoo. Yuk.
                            I was in the hospital the first time for eight days. When i got home and rested awhile the first thing I did was get in the shower and wash my hair.
                            The hospital bathed me everyday until I could bathe myself. I had long hair almost to my waist line but I did not want to have to mess with it after surgery. My hair has grown out alot now so it was not that much of a loss for very long.
                            Mattie

Comment

Good question. I've always had long hair and have not had surgery yet. I'm currently growing my hair out as long as I can and then cutting it off for Locks of Love. I feel like if I'm going to cut my hair shorter for the first time, I might as well do something good with it - if you are considering cutting your hair, I'd encourage you to consider Locks of Love.

Best,
                              Anya
                              "You must be the change you want to see in the world."

Previously 55 degree thoracolumbar curve
                              Surgery June 5, 2007 - Dr. Clifford Tribus, University of Wisconsin Hospital
                              19 degrees post-op!

http://abhbarry.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
                              X