Osteotomy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Osteotomy

My doctor just diagnosed me as needed a wide pedicle subtraction osteotomy in the lumbar area. Can anyone who's had one please share your experience with me please? I have questions, below, but anything else you can share will be helpful to me.

- How long did you stay in the hospital?
    - Did you experience any complication(s)?
    - Pain level?
    - How long after the operation did you leave the hospital?
    - Did you go to a rehab center? How long and how much did it work for you?
    - Did you experience any type of paralysis, either temporary or permanent?
    - How long were you away from work?
    - How are you feeling now?
    - How long ago were you operated for this?

The doctor told me that I would be in the hospital from 5-6 days and at the rehab center for about 5-7 days. He gave me an 85% success with 15% risk of partical paralysis, with only 5% of the 15% possibly permanent paralsys.

Any input from anyone out there who has had a wide or whatever size pedicle subtraction osteotomy? I haven't decided, yet, whether to have this operation and if I do, I do not know when yet.

Thank you.

Marilyn
    Last edited by MariHOU; 12-03-2006, 04:06 PM.

1975 Clear hard plastic body cast worn
    1976 Operated for high grade Spondylolisthesis; lumbar fused from L2-Sacrum and Harrington rods inserted
    1976 Wore regular type body cast and in bed rest for 1 year
    1977 Rods removed
    2006 Diagnosed with Flat back syndrome with sagittal imbalance
    2008 Scheduled for wide pedicle subtraction osteotomy, sooner if pain increases

My email is ahlan_warda@yahoo.com

Marilyn,

That is what I had done June 2005. We are on the way out to a movie right now. If you want, PM me with your phone # and I will call you back later on today. I will also PM you with my number.
    Theresa

April 8 & 12, 2004 - Anterior/Posterior surgery 15 hours & 7 hours
    Thorasic - 79 degree down to 22
    Lumbar - 44 degree down to 18
    Fused T2 to sacrum
    June 2, 2005 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @L3 7 hours
    MAY 21, 2007 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @ L2, extended the fusion to S2 and added pelvic instrumentation 9 hours

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

Marilyn, What is this osteotomy consist of? I have never heard of such a thing. Will they put in extra hardware or repair something? Is it to fix a specific problem? I know I am full of questions but I am just curious. I have always been a person that if I hear of a new procedure or invention or something, I like to know all I can about it. Forgive me for being so questionable.
      Mattie

Comment

Hi Mattie...

You can read a paper and see drawings of osteotomies here:

http://www.spineuniverse.com/display...rticle858.html

Regards,
        Linda
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Mattie,

I find it easier to describe an osteotomy like you're chopping down a tree. You swing the axe in and chop out a "V" section of wood, then the tree falls down on itself before it falls over. That's basically like an osteotomy except they pull the spine together when the "v" piece of bone is taken out.
          Theresa

April 8 & 12, 2004 - Anterior/Posterior surgery 15 hours & 7 hours
          Thorasic - 79 degree down to 22
          Lumbar - 44 degree down to 18
          Fused T2 to sacrum
          June 2, 2005 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @L3 7 hours
          MAY 21, 2007 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @ L2, extended the fusion to S2 and added pelvic instrumentation 9 hours

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

Osteotomy

Theresa....wow, I could not have said it better myself. Thanks.

Mattie....ask as many questions as you like. That's a big part why we are all sharing on this website. Hugz!

By the way....even though Dr. LaGrone sent me a write-up of my office visit on 11/28, I never paid much attention to reading my height. I was shocked to see that I shrunk 2 inches! I've been reading posts here and there about shriking but it never hit home until I read my height. So so so short! Hopefully the osteotomy will give me a bit more height along with less pain and walking straighter. Sigh. Geez....so short.
            Last edited by MariHOU; 01-25-2007, 07:17 AM.

1975 Clear hard plastic body cast worn
            1976 Operated for high grade Spondylolisthesis; lumbar fused from L2-Sacrum and Harrington rods inserted
            1976 Wore regular type body cast and in bed rest for 1 year
            1977 Rods removed
            2006 Diagnosed with Flat back syndrome with sagittal imbalance
            2008 Scheduled for wide pedicle subtraction osteotomy, sooner if pain increases

My email is ahlan_warda@yahoo.com

Comment

Linda, Thank you for the site it described the procedure fully for me.
              Theresa, thank you for describing it to me in terms i can understand instead of a lot of medical mumbo jumbo.
              Maryln, I hope everything turns out ok if you decide on this procedure. Sounds like you have a difficult decision to make.
              Good Luck.
              Mattie

Comment

Working...
              X