Thread: Dr. Boachie on Discovery Channel 9PM/1AM-EST?

Thumbs up Dr. Boachie on Discovery Channel 9PM/1AM-EST?

SURGERY SAVED MY LIFE
    Thursday, Nov. 30, at 9 p.m., Discovery Channel (18 on Time-Warner
    Cable)

Repeated at 1 a.m., Dec. 1

Surgery Saved My Life presents powerful stories that follow a dramatic,
    life-saving operation in real time. Filmed at HSS during the past year,
    this first story that launches the series features Dr. Oheneba
    Boachie-Adjei, M.D., and one of his young patients and follows her
    experience from evaluation through complex spine surgery. The story is
    told from the point of view of the patient and the doctor. The
    documentary team also went to Ghana with Dr. Boachie and shows him in
    his clinic where he provides orthopedic medical care to an underserved
    population.
    Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
    Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

What an amazing show. Margaret just had her 13th surgery and my daughter and I are whining about the possibility of having one.
    That 15-year old boy was adorable and so sensitive and smart. He had to endure that surgery without any loved ones around. Unbelievable show.

Melissa

I agree. Both kids were totally charming. And, Dr. Boachie and the rest of the teams were magicians. This presentation was one of the best I've ever seen in terms of showing what goes in scoliosis surgeries.

I totally envisioned Dr. Boachie laughing when they called him "one of only a handful" of surgeons qualified to take on Juma's surgery.

If anyone is interested in donating, here's the info:

http://www.orthofocos.org/

--Linda

I was extremely impressed with this program.... even though I had to turn it off during the view of the anterior surgery on the little boy. He just looked like a side of beef lying there....!!!!!! It really is amazing what Dr. Boachie is able to do. Although, of course, I'd really prefer not to have it done to ME.......lol....

I thought Dr. Boachie looked a little older than when I first met him last year. I would imagine his work -- and especially his extensive travel, and operating in stressful conditions for FOCOS -- is extremely wearing. On the other hand, he's doing what he loves and what he was meant to do, and that gives you energy...

Oi vay. Didn't sleep a wink last night thinking about it all. I wish I had half the courage of those charming kids he operated on.
    Chris
    A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
    Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
    Post-op curve: 12 degrees
    Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

I had tears in my eyes through most of it...must tell him in a week or so when I go in for my appointment.....Ly

It was really a great hour.

Singer, I think that the anterior surgery was actually on the girl, and that the boy's surgery was all posterior.

--Linda

The girl had both anterior and posterior surgeries.

Sorry, yes, I wasn't clear. The girl had to have both anterior and posterior surgeries.

--Linda

I was in to see Dr. Boachie on Monday for a check up. I had real bad pain in my lower back and wanted to make sure none of my hardware had moved. Thank goodness there were no changes. Before Dr. Boachie left the room I told him I was looking forward to seeing the program on Thursday, he smiled and said "Good tell all your friends to watch and send some money to FOC0S."

The show brought back some old memories but I'm glad I watched. I know Margaret and her parents must be so happy that all the surgeries done.

I had Anterior/Posterior Revision surgery in 2002 performed by Dr. Boachie at Hospital for Special Surgery.

Sue