Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: surgery vs. chiropractic

Doesnt stop the curve

Going to a chiropractor for Idiopathic Scoliosis doesnt stop the curve but i guess it could get rid of the pain for scoliosis. I never experienced pains for my curves before I received surgery because I used trees everyday which numbed pain.

As far as I know chiropractors can't stop curves from progressing. I tried for years. I now go about twice a month just for my neck and shoulders and he stays away from my rods. It works wonders for my headaches and stress held in my neck
    Jenn
    37 y/o female
    60 degree lumbar
    45 degree thoracic
    1st time anterior/posterior surgery May 8th and 10th 2006
    T 5 to S 1
    NYC

Article on chiropractors and scoliosis

I did find this article through my chiropractor's website. It's about a boy who was successfully treated for scoliosis using chiropractic care.

http://www.planetc1.com/chiropractic...ropractic.html

Lightbulb A link about chiro

This link will help with deciding what chiro helps and what not. Also, how to find the right chiro and avoid scams.

http://www.chirobase.org/
    Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
    Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Thanks to everyone for your input! I have now had my surgery, Dec. 7, and am pleased to say I am doing very well!
    My own conclusion about chiropractic is that they are probably helpful in lessening some of the pain scoli patients have, but they can't fix the problem.
    I think there are a lot of good things chiros can do for lots of people, but it seems like a religion - you must go once a week for life to keep healthy.
    I'm happy that I didn't reschedule my surgery since I'm doing well.

Hi Snowdal,

Glad to here you doing well!!!

Shari

Thumbs down

i had a curvge of 50 degrees and 45 when i started chiropractic and after a year when i had my next x-rays we found that it had progressed to 57 and 52 degrees so we decided that chiropractic was a waste of money.

hope this helps xxx fay
    Fay... curves of 50* and 55* now 16 * after op.

How absolutely wonderful it has been to read all your posts.

Chiropractic help for fixing scoliosis has been something that I have never, ever believed in. I have found it hard sometimes on this forum in previous threads to try and get people to be careful and not believe what they are told by them. That is why your posts have been so great to read.

Chiropractors do have their place I do believe that. I have a bad neck and sore shoulders and they have helped me greatly with that, but my chiro just laughs when I ask him to fix the rest of me.

god bless
    macky
    Operation 1966, Fused from T4 to L3, had Harrington rods inserted. Originally had an 85 degree Thoracic curve with lumbar scoliosis as well but had a good correction.
    Perfectly normal life till 1997 but now in a lot of pain daily. Consider myself very fortunate though.