Pregnancy after revision surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pregnancy after revision surgery

Hi, I'm 31, and despite being only one month post-op, I've been thinking down the road. We would like to have a child, (had to wait until after the surgery, because of the pain I had), but I'm worried about being pregnant. Does anyone have any stories they could share (good or bad) about getting/being pregnant after surgeries?

Thanks!
    Cena
    Nov. 2006 - revision surgery
    Aug. 1992 - revision surgery for hook removal and pseudoarthrosis
    July 1989 - Cortrell Doubosett procedure - two rods and fusion T4-L4 (age 13)

Cena ~
    I had surgery in Feb. 2005 and am currently 18 weeks pregnant. Everything is going great! My ortho surgeon assured me (both pre and post-op) that I should be able to have a normal pregnancy and delivery and so far, he's right! I've had no issues related to my Scoliosis. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Comment

Hi Cena...

In the "Scoliosis Sourcebook" Michael Neuwirth says that he tells his patients to wait at least 6 months before trying to get pregnant. I think you want to be pretty sure that your fusion is well on its way to being solid before adding a bunch of weight to your torso.

Regards,
      Linda
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Good point Linda. I made sure to get the ok from my surgeon at my one year post-op appointment and even then, I waited another 6 months before getting pregnant just to be sure everything was ok with my back.

Comment

Working...
        X