X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neuralgia

Hi,

Can anyone help me.....

I was wondering if anyone on this forum suffers from Neuralgia in the head?
    It feels like a bad headache/mirgraine but its more like shooting pains on one side of the head.
    I was wondering if people with Scoliosis get this too or is it just me???
    I don't get them that much one every 4 - 6 weeks sometime i wake up with it cos my neck starts off sore then i get these shooting pains which can last up to 1 - 3 days its not constant every now and then it will happen especially if im laying down or sitting then i get up to move they will start.

As soon as i have anti - inflamitries with Codein it seems to go away.

Can anyone help me????

Lee
    Had surgery May 28th 2007 Anterior/Posterior getting fused from T3 - L3

http://curvedgirl.blogspot.com

My word... that sounds like a clone of me.
    I get these fantastic headaches that have been diagnosed as mixed tension/migraine headaches. They start in the corner of my shoulder at the base of my neck. Always one-sided, but the side it affects changes. They're triggered by exertion. If I do too much, I'll get one. When I was younger, they could last all day. Nowadays, I've managed to get them down to around 3-4 hours. Like you, I can abort them with Ibuprofen and an over-the-counter pain killer (even paracetamol seems to work).
    After being given the run-around for a couple of years, it's become clear that it is caused by the muscles in my neck, shoulders and upper back being too weak. Certain muscles take all the load instead, go into spasm and trap nerves. Next step is a thumping headache.
    Let's see if they're anything close to yours! Mine start in the above mentioned place. From there:
    - Nausea
    - Loss of concentration
    - Sleepiness
    - Photophobia (sensitivity to light - every light seems a lot brighter)
    - Pain extends up the neck and into the head, focusing on pressure points. In particular, halfway up the side of the neck, base of the skull, and behind the eye on the side that's playing up.

I've gone through two years of physio to rid myself of them, and we're finally getting results. I'm swimming twice a week, and every trip to the pool is improving things. It's amazing how good for a lousy neck and back swimming seems to be.

Let me know if this is anything like you! I'd be interested to hear your experiences in the whole nasty thing too!

Comment

Yeah im not sure these days if its mirgraines or sinus cos here in Melbourne lately the weather has been from hot to cold and my ear has been aching and my head feels heavy.
      Well they are more like shooting pains in one side of my head although its not all day but it does last all day off and on.
      My scalp sometimes feels tender or burning sensation i just has nurofen plus and it tends to go away but im actually going to see my physio monday to see if maybe im tense up in the neck part as i do feel like sometimes i need to move it around.

I also get tired alot or a blurry vision on the side of my eyes. But then again i work in front of a computer 7 hrs a day.

Does this sound normal??

Lee

Comment

Well, shooting pains, numbness and burning are all pretty much indicative of nerve pain. It's probably more likely to be migraine than sinus-based. Sinus headaches were everyone's first guess at what mine were, too.
        Definately worth having the muscles in your neck and shoulders checked out. They could well be causing your problems.
        Not too sure about the blurry vision, though. It might be caused by the same problem - when I'm in the middle of a migraine, my eyelids tend to go droopy and it's harder for me to focus my vision on things. But you probably won't be able to tell if they're linked until the other pain gets resolved, unfortunately.
        Let me know how the trip to the physio goes, anyway. There's certainly some key muscles in the neck and shoulders that they're likely to look at. If they really hammer a certain one, I can probably tell you a fair bit about it - I've pretty much had to work on every muscle in that area!

Comment

Hey,
          I went to the physio and she said the two main points in my neck were stiff so she worked on them for a bit. It's only been one day and it seems a little better but still getting a little pain. I'm also starting to think it could be my job as i do sit in front of a computer all day and my eyes do feel heavy and my headaches are coming from the front too. So i've also booked an appt to get my eyes tested. I just get worried it could be more then just a headache like a brain tumor i just think too negative

Lee

Comment

Good to hear that it's improving!
            I wouldn't worry too much about it being anything exotic. If it's improving after a massage, and you have a desk job, it's almost certainly down to the neck muscles your physio worked on.
            Do you have a tendency to lean forward in your chair at work? Or slouch? That certainly sets it off over time. It's probably worth investigating strengthening the muscles that are giving you problems, as that could solve things, potentially.

Comment

Working...
            X