Dad is having surgery today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dad is having surgery today

I've written on this board in the past about my dad's battle with a herniated disc this past year. He's having surgery today at Noon to insert a spacer in between the L4 & L5 vertebrae. Initially, he thought it was a minor surgery but he learned this past week that the recovery will be more involved than he thought. He will need to log roll to get out of bed and won't be able to bend at the waist (sound familiar?).

Please send him your positive thoughts for a safe surgery and recovery. Thanks!

Your Dad will be fine. I had that very thing done years back and its no big deal. I am not making lite of his ordeal at all but he will pull it off without a hitch. Just watch how fast he rehabs it.
    My Best to you and your Father
    Jess
    March 23, 2006 Anterior/posterior Ileum-T2
    15 1/2 Hours
    Dr. Tom Lowe R.I.P.

Comment

Thanks for the kind words and encouragement Jess!

Comment

Best wishes to your dad for a successful, uncomplicated surgery and recovery!

Renee

Comment

I worked with an OR nurse(male) who also had that done and is totally pain free now.
          Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
          Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

This subject reminds me of a news special I saw last week. They were talking about how people who waited to get surgery on herniated disks(no more than two years) did get relief with PT but the ones who didn't after this time had wonderful results with surgery, and it was not a big surgery(not like us).

Good luck to your dad for a pain free future. Keep us posted.
            35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
            Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
            Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
            Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
            Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

Thanks everyone for your encouraging words! It really does help put my mind at ease being that I'm so far from home and unable to be there with my dad.

I talked with him last night right after he was brought to his hospital room. He sounded very tired and raspy (from the respirator) but other than that, he was in good spirits! He was in a bit of pain, but that's to be expected. He should go home sometime today. His doctor told him that it will take 2 months before he is fully recovered.

His surgery was scheduled for Noon, but didn't start until 2:30pm. I could tell he was doing fine when I asked him if they gave him a little something to tide him over before the surgery and he said, "No and I haven't eaten a damn thing since last night...I'm starving! Something to eat would be nice right now." All I could think was, YUP...that's my Dad!

Comment

I talked with Dad again around Noon and he was home! He's doing well, but having a tough time log rolling. The nurse told him he couldn't leave the hospital until he got it down...well, he learned that move real quick! It hurts to roll to the left though. His doctor told him that he didn't have to do it exactly like the nurse showed him, he just can't sit straight up to get out of bed. He only took 1 pain pill last night and one this morning after his battle with learning how to log roll.

Thank you again for all of your kind words of encouragement for this daddy's girl and for listening!

Comment

That's cool. I can't believe he's already out of the hospital, wow!
                  35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
                  Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
                  Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
                  Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
                  Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

Ok Dad. Record time. He's good to go. Glad everything turned out well.
                    My Best, Jess
                    March 23, 2006 Anterior/posterior Ileum-T2
                    15 1/2 Hours
                    Dr. Tom Lowe R.I.P.

Comment

Dad had his 1st post-op appt. yesterday and it went really well. He's been cleared to drive short distances and can do light housework. We're going to have a tough time telling him what light housework is though since two days after surgery he cooked himself breakfast and 4 day after surgery he took clothes out of the dryer (with his grabber) so that they wouldn't wrinkle. He's usually on the go all day long, so this has been a long, boring week and a1/2 for him. Luckily everything seems to be going well so far!

Comment

Way to go dad! It sounds like he is doing great. I am happy for you. By the way, if he gets too bored at home he can come here, there is enough light housework to keep him busy til he's fully recovered

Renee

Comment

Sounds like he is doing great. Like Renee, if he gets bored there is always something to be done at my house!!!! Hope his recovery continues to go well and he is able to do more shortly. Tell him to keep up the good work.
                          Mandy

Comment

Working...
                          X