Surgery with lots of complications..5 1/2 weeks in hospital

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surgery with lots of complications..5 1/2 weeks in hospital

Hi everyone. I am sorry I haven't gotten back to report on my sugery....I just haven't had the energy to send an email.

My surgery was on October 5. It was 14 hours long. During the surgery I had a stroke. When this happened, my spinal cord was nicked causing a dural tear. At first they came out and told my husband how sorry they were and that I would probably be paralyzed. However they were able to get me up and going. I do have some numbnesss and lack of feeling in my feet, but it is coming back.

During the first few days my whole digestive system shut down and my gallbladder went bad. I will have to have it removed as soon as I am healthy enough...probably in next few weeks.

My stroke was caused by an aneurism. Turns out that maybe the surgery saved my life...I have two more aneurisms that will have to be operated on...so in the next few months I will have to have brain surgery.

Scoliosis surgery itself looks good. I am about 3 inches taller and look very straight. But I am still very swollen and miserable from the major surgery and all the other issues.

It takes a lot of effort for me to write right now....but I know so many of you have been wondering and I appreciate the care and concern.

I have a long way to go and truthfully I am still very very miserable after nearly two months since surgery. Every thing that could have gone wrong did in my case! I hope you will keep me in your prayers.

Marcia I'm so sorry...I truly hope your surgeries go well with no more complications and that your back heals well. How awful it must have been to hear such news about the paralysis But you seem to have gotten better as far as that is concerned, I won't ask more questions as I understand you're tired and in pain, take it easy and when or if you feel up to it post what you feel like.

Take GOOD care of you.
    35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
    Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
    Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
    Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
    Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

Marcia, I am so sorry to hear about all your complications. I have heard that an aneurism is a silent killer. From what I have read and been told 90% of all people that have them have no idea. I hope and pray you regain all your mobility. Get well soon.
      Mattie

Comment

I have been wondering how you have been doing. So glad to hear from you. My prayers are with you for a full recovery. Take care of yourself.

Comment

Oh, Marcia! I'm sorry you've had such a rough time. Thank you for making the effort to write to us, as many of us have been thinking about you and hoping you were okay. You're very much in my thoughts and prayers.

Best wishes,
          Chris
          Chris
          A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
          Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
          Post-op curve: 12 degrees
          Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

I wish you all the best. I will say a prayer for you and your upcoming surgeries.
            surgery 9/06
            Rothman institute

Comment

Marcia, you are in my prayers....Lynne

Comment

Marcia, I am so glad to hear from you. But terribly sad about all the problems you have had. I am only 10 days away now so this a bit scary for me to hear. I pray that each day things will improve and that the pending surgeries will happen without any complications. Linda G.

Comment

Marcia- I am so sorry for all you have been through! I have been wondering about you- I will continue to pray for you!! God will see you through all this- Cathie

Comment

Hi Marcia,

You have been in all of our thoughts, and we are all obviously very glad to hear from you!!!

I too, am sorry to hear about your other complications, but I'm glad to hear that you were happy with the scoli surgery!!! You mentioned that it may have saved your life. I am a firm believer that everything happens for a reason.

I am so impressed that you were able to get on here to tell us what has been going on. I truly wish you nothing but the best for your future surgeries!!!

I can't even imagine what you've been going through in regards to the other complications in addition to what you have already been through.

You will be in my thoughts and prayers every day!!!

Shari

Comment

Marcia

I am so sorry to hear of all that you have been through and continue to go through. I will pray for you for a complete recovery. God bless you and know that many here are praying for you.

Marilyn

1975 Clear hard plastic body cast worn
                      1976 Operated for high grade Spondylolisthesis; lumbar fused from L2-Sacrum and Harrington rods inserted
                      1976 Wore regular type body cast and in bed rest for 1 year
                      1977 Rods removed
                      2006 Diagnosed with Flat back syndrome with sagittal imbalance
                      2008 Scheduled for wide pedicle subtraction osteotomy, sooner if pain increases

My email is ahlan_warda@yahoo.com

Comment

Marcia,
                        I am so sorry about your complications and hope that you are getting stonger each day. I lost my mother last Summer to an aortic aneurism that she was unaware of so it's good to know that yours are now known and operable. Please try to stay positive and keep strong in your recovery.

Comment

You are in my prayers! You sound like a very strong person and you can get through all of this!

Best,
                          Anya
                          "You must be the change you want to see in the world."

Previously 55 degree thoracolumbar curve
                          Surgery June 5, 2007 - Dr. Clifford Tribus, University of Wisconsin Hospital
                          19 degrees post-op!

http://abhbarry.blogspot.com

Comment

Oh Marcia, I'm so sorry to hear about the complications you've experienced. Just a few days ago I asked if anyone's heard from you and hoped you had an uncomplicated surgery. I will be thinking and praying for you. I pray each day gets a little better.

Your testimony just confirms how very, very serious this surgery is, especially on us older folks...nothing to be taken lightly.

God bless and heal you.

Chris

Comment

Marcia,
                              I'm so sorry to hear that you had to go through all of these complications. Just wanted to let you know that you are in my prayers.
                              Lesly

Comment

Working...
                              X