I'm new here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm new here

Hi everyone, I'm new here! I've had four surgeries for my scoliosis (the most recent being this month). I love to hear from others and help in any way. Take care!
    Cena
    Nov. 2006 - revision surgery
    Aug. 1992 - revision surgery for hook removal and pseudoarthrosis
    July 1989 - Cortrell Doubosett procedure - two rods and fusion T4-L4 (age 13)

Hi fellow Canadian

you did have a lot of surgeries, if you don't mind me asking what were they all for? I know it's not easy going through so many.

Welcome to the board
    35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
    Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
    Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
    Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
    Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

Welcome to the Forum Cena 75!!

Like Sweetness said welcome aboard fellow canadian. I am Cic(Cécile)38 yr old mother of two awsome kids, and had surgery in 85. Long time ago, and have been in pain ever since,. I also would like to know what were all the surgeries for. I hope you are doing okay, but if ever your not, this is the place to let it all out. Increadible people on this forum,that can help. Take care and welcome to the gang. -Cic.

Comment

Hi Cena75, welcome to the board as well. I would like to know a bit about your scoliosis back ground as well.

We are all sticky beaks arent we.(not really)

God bless,
        Lorraine.
        Operation 1966, Fused from T4 to L3, had Harrington rods inserted. Originally had an 85 degree Thoracic curve with lumbar scoliosis as well but had a good correction.
        Perfectly normal life till 1997 but now in a lot of pain daily. Consider myself very fortunate though.

Comment

here goes - my story!

nice to "meet" all of you! I'm 31 years old, and I was diagnosed with scoliosis when I was 13 - my curve was a double major, around 50ish degrees. It was progressing quickly, and I had surgery within six months, at which time it was in the sixties (1989). I had the Cortrell Doubosett procedure - two rods, and fusion from T4 to L4. Two years later I was having low back pain, and they discovered that I had pseudoarthrosis. In 1992 I had a revision surgery to remove a bottom hook and refuse my L3/4 vertebrae. I was good for two years, then I was in a car accident - reareneded by a drunk driver, which caused permanent soft tissue damage and TMJ. It took a long time before I was feeling better. Now to the present day - I've never been "pain free", but I've always been able to cope with it. I also have a compensatory curve in my cervical spine. I went to massage therapy regularly. I also always had IBS. However, over the last two years I was having increasing low back pain, which referred to the upper back. I got a few kidney infections and bladder infections, as well as had bowel urgency (I couldn't feel that I had to go until the last minute!) It really started to interfere with my work, which frustrated me (I'm a teacher). I was diagnosed with spinal stenosis of the L3-5 vertebrae, which was impinging my nerves (I was also having numbness in my leg). They also diagnosed me with flatback syndrome. He felt he could do something surgically to relieve the symptoms. Although, I may at some point need another surgery realistically, like a full osteonomy. I was scheduled for one surgery (Nov.2 - 6 hrs.), but the surgeon felt he could do a few more things to stabilize my spine and give me some more relief, so they did a second surgery the next day (2hrs.). What they did was decompress the lumbar vertebrae, fuse me to L5, put in two smaller rods to stabilize the lumbar region, put a cage on the anterior side of my spine for stabilization, and put a titanium disk at the L5 region to prevent some wear-and-tear that would happen with that area being mobile. Since the surgery, I don't have the numbness in my leg anymore, and I've actually been able to feel a full bladder! So, that's why I've had so many surgeries, and I'm motivated to get into shape (when I can), to try and do my best to take care of this body. I would love to hear some of your stories too. Please ask any questions... Take care!
          Cena

Comment

Hi Cena...

You might be interested in this group:

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/Flatback_Revised/

Regards,
            Linda
            Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
            Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Cena...

wow, you sure have been through a lot for being so young! I'm always amazed at the courage and strength so many people have when I read posts on this forum, especially on the revision section. When I hear some people complain about silly things, or getting the flu, it sure puts things in perspective.

It gives me strength and it is inspiring.
              Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
              Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
              Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

Hi Sweetness - you're young too! Only a couple of years older than me! Sounds like you've been through a lot too. How are you doing now?
                Cena

Comment

I have really been so very lucky havent I. I agree with you too sweetness it does make me crabby when people moan and groan over absolutely nothing. I mean they think it is just HUGE ,but have no idea.

God bless,
                  Lorraine.
                  Operation 1966, Fused from T4 to L3, had Harrington rods inserted. Originally had an 85 degree Thoracic curve with lumbar scoliosis as well but had a good correction.
                  Perfectly normal life till 1997 but now in a lot of pain daily. Consider myself very fortunate though.

Comment

Macky-yes I know what you mean, sometimes I feel like I'm not part of normal people an have less patience but I do see that some people don't always talk about all they go through(like health issues) and that's a shame b/c we can all help each other sometimes. But I know it's not easy to sometimes go there.

Cena, I guess I'm doing all right compared to what I sometimes read here. After my revision almost a year ago now(for non union and broken rod, etc), I still have pain in screws in my thoracic area(around T5-T6), and that's inflammation.

Comment

I think sometimes we all feel better just to know we are not alone. With the cold weather setting in here in Colorado I have a screw or two (lol) that does nothing but screw up my day (again lol). The two lowest screws in my back are the longest. These two don't ever seem to let up. However every time I start to cry and moan I can always find someone who has a lot more pain than I. Usually here on this forum. Click on this and you can see my hardware. Oh and I am a lot better looking than my picture.
                      My Best to all, Jess
                      http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e232/jlazyh/ba.jpg
                      March 23, 2006 Anterior/posterior Ileum-T2
                      15 1/2 Hours
                      Dr. Tom Lowe R.I.P.

Comment

Hi Jess...

I was wondering how you were doing, it's been a while

Screws can be a pain in the ass I know, yesterday I felt like I had a hatchet(normally it's a knife) in my back, always around the same place for me between shoulder blades.

Your spine is so straight.

Comment

Originally posted by BackTalk
                          I think sometimes we all feel better just to know we are not alone. With the cold weather setting in here in Colorado I have a screw or two (lol) that does nothing but screw up my day (again lol). The two lowest screws in my back are the longest. These two don't ever seem to let up. However every time I start to cry and moan I can always find someone who has a lot more pain than I. Usually here on this forum. Click on this and you can see my hardware. Oh and I am a lot better looking than my picture.
                          My Best to all, Jess
                          http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e232/jlazyh/ba.jpg
                          Jess...

It's relatively common for iliac bolts to cause very specific pain at the head of the bolt. Many surgeons will remove painful bolts at about 2 years postop.

--Linda
                          Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                          Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Originally posted by sweetness514
                            Hi Jess...

I was wondering how you were doing, it's been a while

Screws can be a pain in the ass I know, yesterday I felt like I had a hatchet(normally it's a knife) in my back, always around the same place for me between shoulder blades.

Your spine is so straight.
                            Doing pretty good for an old fart. My rehab is going great. I just can't adjust to being so stiff. I still can't put on my own shoes a socks, and then little things like cutting your toe nails? Only real problem I am having is on the side where they cut out the rib. It's a pain that can't be described. Now I am getting a lot of pain and pressure in the lowest part of my hardware. The doc said that since I have no spine to transfer my weight to the muscles and ultimately to the hips and tail bone everything transfers down the rods and ultimately to the last large screws at the bottom. I seem to be able to stand forever but sitting seems to put my butt to sleep real fast.
                            Ok now you are sorry you asked how I was aren't you? How are things with you? what are you doing to get relief from your pain?
                            I pulled a good one the other day. I went to the rec center and sat in the hot tub for about 45 min. I'm so damn skinny it heated up my rods. That's a sensation you don't want to try.
                            Alright I'm done. Great to hear from you. Oh, have you tried a tens unit at all between your shoulder blades? I'll bet you have but it's a thought.
                            My Best, Jess
                            15 1/2 Hours
                            Dr. Tom Lowe R.I.P.

Comment

Originally posted by LindaRacine
                              Jess...

It's relatively common for iliac bolts to cause very specific pain at the head of the bolt. Many surgeons will remove painful bolts at about 2 years postop.

--Linda
                              Linda
                              Thats what the doc told me too. Problem is I am only 8 months postop almost to the day. My biggest problem is my weight. I went from around 170 to a mear 125 now. You can count the screw heads in my back and it makes it tuff to lean against anything like a car seat or chair, but boy did they ever get rid of the hump that I had.
                              Jess
                              15 1/2 Hours
                              Dr. Tom Lowe R.I.P.

Comment

Working...
                              X