Dad is having "spacer" inserted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dad is having "spacer" inserted

I had written earlier in the Summer about my dad. He has been having back pain for almost a year now. With the advice of his spinal doctor, he's tried the chiropractor and the injections with no relief. His doctor is now going to insert what my dad calls a "spacer" between L4 & L5. He said that it's done through a small incision and that he is spending the night in the hospital due to his age and health issues (he had a triple by-pass 10 years ago). He's very active and I just know he'll want to do too much too quickly. I tried to give him some advice, but he says, "This isn't anything like your surgery you know. They're not taking my whole back apart." Gotta love him! Is there any advice I should give him that he should listen to? I've told him to get some of his favorite foods out of the cupboards and onto the higher shelves of the refrigerator and to put put milk into smaller containers so that he's not lifting the big gallon jug. He thought those were good ideas. My brother and his wife live upstairs from my dad so I guess I shouldn't be too worried, but he's not one to ask for help easily. Thanks!

Hi Heidi,

He's right when he says it does not compare to your surgery. But you are right to be concerned about him!!!

He's blessed to have such a loving family so close to him. My mother had a similar surgery in the early 80's. Of course the technology today is much more advanced.

Yeah you "gotta love him", but if you have too, tell him, you're going to have tie him down. Sometimes our parents should obey us???

If he anything like my Mom, Good Luck,
    Shari

Comment

Working...
    X