26y/o male with Lumbar scoliosis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 26y/o male with Lumbar scoliosis

Hello, my name is ivan, i was diagnosed with lumbar scoliosis at around the age of 12 or so. At the age of 7 we kept going to the dr. and hospital for x rays b/c one of my ribs was sticking out like if it were broken but they never knew what it was from. Time went by and my parents noticed that i was a bit out of shape, my pants didnt fit the right way and shirts and so on. And thats when the drs were like "oh its scoliosis" During my whole childhood i was always self concious about my self and still am, my pelvis sticks out a bit from one side i have a minor ball in my lower back and of course my rib cage seems to be pushed to the right a bit, its not that noticible with clothes on but im embarased to take off my shirt, and the worst part of it all now my back hurts for nothing just walking a bit standing, sitting, the pain is bad but not that bad yet... but it is getting worse, I always have to find ways of standing or sitting so the pain could gradually go down and the funny thing is that if i run it takes longer for my back to hurt.

Reading all these forums it seems that just lumbar scoliosis is rare and also scoliosis in males, it seems that females are more affected. I am considering a surgery, but then i read about all the things that may go wrong, but then i know that with a spine fusion my life could be better in many ways specially apperance, is there any one who has just had lumbar fusion surgery, and if so how is ur mobility can u bend down since its in the lumbar area, did ur body shape grow, is the rod on the whole spine, and has any one hear of the WEDGE OSTEOTOMY in which they take a part of ur bone and implant it on ur spine or so and then they leave the rods in ur back for like 13weeks then they remove them.

Sorry the letter is so loong but if anyone can help me out it would be great.

Thanks
    Last edited by kardoid; 11-10-2006, 09:55 AM.
    right lumbar curve T12- L3 43* T12-L5 69*

Originally posted by kardoid
    Hello, my name is ivan, i was diagnosed with lumbar scoliosis at around the age of 12 or so. At the age of 7 we kept going to the dr. and hospital for x rays b/c one of my ribs was sticking out like if it were broken but they never knew what it was from. Time went by and my parents noticed that i was a bit out of shape, my pants didnt fit the right way and shirts and so on. And thats when the drs were like "oh its scoliosis" During my whole childhood i was always self concious about my self and still am, my pelvis sticks out a bit from one side i have a minor ball in my lower back and of course my rib cage seems to be pushed to the right a bit, its not that noticible with clothes on but im embarased to take off my shirt, and the worst part of it all now my back hurts for nothing just walking a bit standing, sitting, the pain is bad but not that bad yet... but it is getting worse, I always have to find ways of standing or sitting so the pain could gradually go down and the funny thing is that if i run it takes longer for my back to hurt.

Reading all these forums it seems that just lumbar scoliosis is rare and also scoliosis in males, it seems that females are more affected. I am considering a surgery, but then i read about all the things that may go wrong, but then i know that with a spine fusion my life could be better in many ways specially apperance, is there any one who has just had lumbar fusion surgery, and if so how is ur mobility can u bend down since its in the lumbar area, did ur body shape grow, is the rod on the whole spine, and has any one hear of the WEDGE OSTEOTOMY in which they take a part of ur bone and implant it on ur spine or so and then they leave the rods in ur back for like 13weeks then they remove them.

Thanks
    Dude, you are getting some bad information from somewhere. If you have a doctor you trust then he or she is the one to ask these questions too. You are getting all worked up over war stories and it is messing with your head more than your back problem. I am trying not to piss in your canteen but you need to have a long talk with a doctor that has done lots of this kind of surgery. Just my 2 cents worth.
    B/T
    March 23, 2006 Anterior/posterior Ileum-T2
    15 1/2 Hours
    Dr. Tom Lowe R.I.P.

Comment

You are not the only male with scoliosis, my son also has it. I think the reason you may feel that way is that we females tend to be more willing to "share our feelings" (my son's words--he lurks but tends not to post). While lumbar scoliosis is not the most common form, it is not that unusual.

You did not say what degree of curvature you have or if it is progressing. Generally, if its in the moderate degrees surgery is not necessary. If you have pain, you may need to try a combination of things such as weight loss, physical therapy or yoga, and pain management techniques.

I have a friend who had a partial lumbar fusion for scoliosis and she cannot bend at the waist. If you are considering any kind of surgery please get several medical opinions from orthopedic surgeons specializing in adult scoliosis.

Good luck! Remember, you are not alone.

Comment

Males and Scoliosis

Originally posted by Lab Dog
        You are not the only male with scoliosis, my son also has it. I think the reason you may feel that way is that we females tend to be more willing to "share our feelings" (my son's words--he lurks but tends not to post). While lumbar scoliosis is not the most common form, it is not that unusual.

You did not say what degree of curvature you have or if it is progressing. Generally, if its in the moderate degrees surgery is not necessary. If you have pain, you may need to try a combination of things such as weight loss, physical therapy or yoga, and pain management techniques.

I have a friend who had a partial lumbar fusion for scoliosis and she cannot bend at the waist. If you are considering any kind of surgery please get several medical opinions from orthopedic surgeons specializing in adult scoliosis.

Good luck! Remember, you are not alone.
        Females are more likely to get Scoliosis more then males. We tend to show our feelings more with each other more then males. My best mate who happens to be a male has the same thing but its not as bad as mine as I have 2 curves that require both anterior and posterior operations done to it.

You wouldn't be the only guy out there who has it.
        2002 - 42 degree curve (top) and 38 degree curve (bottom)

2003 - 43 degree curve (top) and 37 degree curve (bottom)

2007 - 46 degree curve (top) and 48 degree curve (bottom)

Anterior/Posterior surgery 17th of July and 31st of July 2007 and 2.5 cm's taller

Comment

Again, this is only my opinion, but I think that the male and female myth of this condition is wrong!!! I could go on and on as to why I think that, but I won't!!!

Obviously, is you have scoliosis, it doesn't matter whether we're male or female.

Shari

Comment

Shari, not to challenge you, I'm just curious; do you mind explaining why you think the male/female theory is wrong?
            Em.
            19yo
            Australia
            Surgery 11th December 2007
            t c 60 l c 45

Comment

same

Hey dude, I have scoliosis too. I am also 26 male. I know how bad it can be with appearance and pain. I believe with lots of exercise and the right advice you can reduce that curve alot. Good luck mate
              45L/40T
              Surgery 25/1/2010
              Australia

Knowthyself

Scoliosis Corrected 25/1/2010 by Dr Angus Gray, Prince of Wales Private Hospital, Sydney. Fused T3-L4.

Comment

I am a amataure grappler and I have scoliosis 47 degrees movin to the right it sucks but the doctor said I prolly wont need surgurey.

Comment

Originally posted by kardoid

Thanks
                  Hi Ivan

I'm an adult male, age 41, with mild scoliosis - 6 percent C curve. You can see me, and my curve, in the second photo in my blog posting:

http://historian2wheels.blogspot.com...r-11-2007.html

I sometimes get back pain and pain in my right shoulder and arm, but I'm learning to work around it and minimize it. If I can ride my bike 100 miles in a day and nearly 3000 in a year as a middle aged, out of shape man, I'm sure you can find a way to do whatever you set out to do. And while surgery is an option if it's medically necessary, oftentimes it isn't. Talk to the people you get medical advice from, and ask them "how can I sit without pain?" "What sort of exercises should I do?" Be active in finding a solution that works for you. You may have scoliosis, but scoliosis doesn't have you. Get ahead of the curve!

Neil
                  http://historian2wheels.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                  X