Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wearing only at night

Hi,
    im 14 years old and i have a boston brace. i was wondering if wearing my brace only a night would help? or would it not help at all ????

well it would be best to do whatever your doctor or brace maker says that you should do. have they told you when to wear it? or not?
    35T 54L rotation
    3rd TLSO brace
    shoe lift
    trunk shift,pelvic shift
    waiting for surgery!

Comment

he has he said to wear it 20 hours a day everyday but i have something wrong with my neck and i cant touch my chin to my chest not even close with it on.but i have been trying to push myself to wear it to school but it pokes out in the back.

Comment

I'm sorry to hear your brace sticks out in the back. I was wearing a brace for two and a half years. I finally got kicked out of the program because I got fed up with the program, the brace, everything. I now have to do yoga stretches for the rest of my life in order to keep my back straight.

Comment

its ok will doing yoga help straighten my back?how often will i have to do it??? what kind of streches, and is it affective? how bad was your curve mine is only 25 on top thats it.

Comment

i have a boston too. sleeping can help `cause you grow as you sleep but during the day is important too. i wear mine to school and im used to it but at first i was all nervous but its okay with me now. is your curve bad?
            i have scoliosis. third boston brace. (:

Comment

I am 18 now and no longer wear my boston brace, but when I did I only wore it at night and a few hours when I was home from school (more on the weekends). I liked wearing it at night because it gave me support and found it more comfortable to sleep IN it than OUT of it. I think wearing it a night is better than not wearing it at all, but your doctor has probably told you to wear it more often, as mine did. I now feel that not wearing it all the time kept my back strong. I now do yoga daily to strengthen my back. My theory is, the stronger your back is the better chance you have of it holding better and not progressing as fast.
              April

Scoliosis discovered at 14 and 9 month-- 47 degrees
              Boston brace for 2 years (only 12 / 23 hours a day)
              Now 18 years old
              Thoracic curve 35, Lumbar curve about 52 degrees

Comment

I'd hate to be a downer, but WEAR IT! That's one thing I'm so glad about when I had to wear a brace. My parents & I were really good about sticking to 23 hours a day, no less. & when I had to wear it at night for a certain amount of hours, we made sure I completed those hours. I know that it's difficult wearing it during the day, & I would get frustrated because it would still be obvious under my shirt & I couldn't move around as much as I'd like to, but trust me, it's worth it. My doctor told my parents & I that our diligence is what kept it from getting worse & requiring surgery. He's thanked us many times for listening to what he says & letting the brace do its job.
                He's also told us about cases where the kid just did not wear their brace like they were supposed to & they ended up having to have surgery when it could have been avoided. Don't let that happen to you.
                Also, I only had to wear my brace for 23 hours a day for a few years. After that, it was just at night. So hang in there, if you keep up with it, you're probably not going to have to worry about wearing it during the day for much longer.
                Good luck with everything :]

Comment

I agree, wear your brace, as it is prescribed. You can't go back. If your curve progresses because you didn't wear your brace and you need surgery, are you going to have regrets?
                  Hugs
                  God has used scoliosis to strengthen and mold us. He's good all the time!On this forum these larger curves have not held forever in Spinecor,with an initial positive response followed by deterioration. With deterioration, change treatment.The first year she gained 4 or 5 inches and was stable at around 20/20 in brace, followed by rapid progression the next year.She is now 51/40 (Jan2008)out of brace (40/30 in Spinecor) and started at 38/27 out of brace(Jan2006.) Now in Cheneau.

Comment

mcfanny99,
                    PLEASE wear it as your Dr. says!!! My 12yr old daughter is in a boston 23 hrs a day!! It is hard to get used to.But she wears it to school and to bed.Only takes it off to shower.We got to the point at one time where we wondered if this was worth it at all.Well we just went to the dr last month and out off the brace her curve is now 44 degrees with the brace it measures 28 degrees.When my daughter saw the 2 xrays and the huge difference,the complaints stopped.To her it was solid proof that this major inconvience was working...
                    Mother of Nichole 12yrs old and Madison 4yrs old

Comment

Originally posted by janneboud
                      well it would be best to do whatever your doctor or brace maker says that you should do. have they told you when to wear it? or not?
                      Hi my name is Nicole, my brace maker says i have to wear my back brace only at night. i just got my boston brace on wednesday, April 4th and for the last couple of nights i've had a hard time trying to sleep in the brace. i can bearly move in the brace and i get hot and sweaty. this often leaves to me getting cranky and loss of sleep. what should i do? please help me a.s.a.p if u can thanx!
                      Last edited by lil cutie; 04-13-2007, 06:55 PM.
                      Hey i'm Nicole,
                      i'm 16, i like to write stories
                      and poems.
                      I never come on here so...
                      peace

Comment

I think it is very important to do whatever your doctor says.. i understood that there will be a time that I will only have to wear the brace at night and im guessing it will happen to you too.. GOOD LUCK!
                        My name is Rotem
                        I am 13 and in 7th grade
                        Started with 2 curves:
                        34º Therotical
                        50º Lumber
                        I currently wear a Cheneau Brace
                        Got my 1st on Nov. '06
                        Got my 2nd on Nov. '07
                        Just got my 3rd one today (May7 '08)
                        and im still trying to get used to it
                        Hoping I won't need surgery
                        I live in South Florida
                        3rd check on November 17,2007,
                        Got an X-ray done Feb. 5th, with EXCELLENT news!
                        30º Theoratical
                        37º Lumber
                        4th check on May 7, 2008

Comment

I WISH someone would've forced me to wear my brace 20 hours a day way back when!!! I screamed, argued and cried until my parents gave up and said OK just at night. Unless you're OK with the possibility of surgery down the road.....I would wear it as much as you can take it.
                          Jenn
                          37 y/o female
                          60 degree lumbar
                          45 degree thoracic
                          1st time anterior/posterior surgery May 8th and 10th 2006
                          T 5 to S 1
                          NYC

Comment

summer,
                            how did u fix your curve then?? did u get surgery??
                            My name is Rotem
                            I am 13 and in 7th grade
                            Started with 2 curves:
                            34º Therotical
                            50º Lumber
                            I currently wear a Cheneau Brace
                            Got my 1st on Nov. '06
                            Got my 2nd on Nov. '07
                            Just got my 3rd one today (May7 '08)
                            and im still trying to get used to it
                            Hoping I won't need surgery
                            I live in South Florida
                            3rd check on November 17,2007,
                            Got an X-ray done Feb. 5th, with EXCELLENT news!
                            30º Theoratical
                            37º Lumber
                            4th check on May 7, 2008

Comment

Working...
                            X