It was a HERNIATED Disc, not my scoli

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It was a HERNIATED Disc, not my scoli

I could have used a message like this one 30 or so days ago so here goes.

Onset. It "started" on the computer, pain radiating down my shoulder just above the elbow, triagle shaped (deltoids), across my back (trapezius) and up my neck. I hadn't done anything unusual that I could think of and comparing notes with another fitness instructor it sure seem like a rotator cuff injury or problem. It didn't hurt when I worked out, just mainly when I sat down.

Treatment, at the Internist's office: piss poor. The most insulting thing that happened was a green bean calling me 5 days later, telling my shoulder was clear but I had CAL-LI-Oh-sis. I said what?? SPELL IT. S-C-O.

Yeh, no doubt did you happen to see the rod in my spine? 24 hours later I got a voice mail, on a Saturday to call "this number" as my "doctor" had a voice mail for me. This time I heard the shoulder was clear except for some arthritis, and degeneration in the C-Spine. Henh? I hit the Internet. Oh cervical spine.

I got the "final" diagnosis from the receptionist who read me the radiologist's report word by word. Moderately severe degeneration at C5-C6. A few days later the skinny blond who does not exercise, P.A. finally returns my call. She basically says it's age, probably has nothing to do with my scoli, "just don't over do" and "use cold compresses" yada and take the Aleve (Naproxen), and "I don't understand people who over do when they work out."

In 1979, I was told post surgery not to lift anything over 10 lbs., for the rest of my life and I should be fine. I obeyed for years, dragging groceries up stairs, finding creative ways to move furniture when I was single etc. We all know we just want to forget about scoli but I have lived a constant life of "Don't forget about your back" and "don't let her move it, get your brother." Yada. "Should you being doing that? You're the one with the bad back."
    "My poor, baby, what about your back?"

A couple of years ago, I became a fitness instructor and learned about muscles and form. It was an incredible cathartic treat for me, to "feel" muscles and to "use them" and to practice good form. I became goal oriented... I graduated to 10 pounds in each arm. It was a thrill. I grew to become a substitute for an instructor formerly with the NFL. Me, the scoli girl, me the girl who wasn't encouraged or allowed to work out as a child (13+). Me, the imposter.

I got a bill yesterday for $362 for over-minutes on my cell (home) phone. Can I tell you the fear and worry by myself and family since from September, Labor Day weekend, to November 2nd? I could have used an e-mail such as mine, today, just to consider or weigh that it might not be the scoli. I came here frightend and grew initially more frightened throughout the rest of the process, i.e. ohmygod, they are removing hardware???? I'm screwed because I have first generation Harrington Rod? I apologize. If you put it out there, and I saw it, I went there. Eek!

Eventually, the pain concentrated into a "pit" in my shoulder. I was so happy I drew on it, "Aha. That's you. That's the problem. Right there." I practiced pointing to the exact location so I could tell the doc-tah. Sometimes though the pain wasn't there at all. Meanwhile my husband was coming home to find me in all types of positions. Some nights I would just say, Ow ow ow, sorry honey, and he'd say that's okay, you're in pain.

I thought alot about my scoli and how damned I was. I never got to the self-pity phase because I had nothing "real" to go on. I did read here about the Harrington Rod predisposing me to disc degeneration. That may be, but not in my case. The disc is high above the top of my fusion. Girls, Boy(s), I am age'ed.

Herniated cervical disc (pinched nerve in the neck). By the time I had my follow-up 8 weeks into it, armed with MRI, I was experiencing no pain. Yep. Like 80 to 90% of most "normal" people it improved on it's own. Surgery is not inevitable for me and would be a last resort. I don't have to end my writing career, research, nor time spent at the computer or loafing with a remote.

If the pain had not stopped and I was unable to live a "normal" life here were some of the options. Physical therapy, to strengthen shoulders and neck. Epidurals. Traction (to pop the nerve out or whatever, which was irritated). Oral steroids or cortesoids. Surgery? Last resort.

I'd like to tell you I handled the fear well, but I didn't. I "coped". I bought micro-brews instead of a Miller Lite. I spent days with lost productivity. I escaped out onto the Internet and e-mailed friends. I got heavy into research. I came here and freaked myself out some more. I took an Advil every now and then because it was something I could do, but none of it helped, not even in prescription strength. Worry worry worry. I lifted little pink weights. I suffered a few "come uppances" from jealous women, "Well you did lift all that heavy weight."

I showed people my scar and it surprised them, "Yeah it's probably due to my scoliosis." The former fitness instructor who all that time....ah the appearnce of things right? I got moody, I got depressed and then I got my diagnosis and "sentence" from a professional.

Positives: I got you guys and I'm okay for now with being a scoli kid and even having some fun with it. My mama and I, for example, each took a thwack at MaryHou's initial doctor, the one who laughed at her pain and her "bad" back. I might buy MaryHou a virtual cold beer.

I have found a collective here that I have never had before and am ease at talking about our issues. I have found a "term" for myself that is not ugly to me, scoli girl.

I found freedom through education. MY doctor says I can lift anything I want, do anything I want. I intend to continue to avoid volleyball for awhile, however, as the P.A. told me to avoid holding my head back and looking up for periods of time. He was right. I forgot while cleaning a ceiling fan with a feather duster. I paid immediately so why fool around.

I got to meet an interesting man. I got to meet a rare man on this planet for now. The surgeon is black and he is respected. It pleased me on any number of levels but also being a genealogist, I know a little something about history. I know some of our surgeons may have some understanding of the psychic pain of a little girl who has been braced, but here was a man who impressed me anew, added to my sense of mystery to life.

Good luck and good grace, to all of you. CK
    Traction at 13, body cast 1 mos., Milwaukee, first plastic (severe allergy, abdomen skin burst, watery) then leather. Harrington Rod @ 15, 9 mos body cast, hips up. 9 more mos being careful and protective. Degenerated disc C4-5 I think well above the rod. Degenerated disc below the rod now? Probably.

I have two protruding discs above my fusion. Mine are in the thorsic area. I had to search for a doctor that treated adult scoliosis patients in order to get help. I go back Friday to develop a plan of attack to fight my pain.

Having gone through all of this helped my daughter when she had her scoliosis surgery two years ago. I have also been able to answer questions for students at a local school and their parents who are going through treatment for scoliosis. It would have been a blessing to have this support website back when I was going through my surgery. My daughter dances and part of her scar shows above her leotard. It gives her a chance to explain about her surgery and why she can't bend certain ways. She does not let her scar bother her when she goes swimming.

Having good support from family and/or friends really helps to get you through this. My husband is great...he drives me to all my appointments, and on bad back days, he cleans house, does laundry, cooks, etc. He also keeps my spirits up when the pain gets to me. Good luck with your disc!
    T12- L5 fusion 1975 - Rochester, NY
    2002 removal of bottom of rod and extra fusion
    3/1/11 C5-C6 disc replacement
    Daughter - T7 - L3 fusion 2004

Comment

You've been living with this for two years?????

Did your doctor say it was scoli related? Please talk.
      Traction at 13, body cast 1 mos., Milwaukee, first plastic (severe allergy, abdomen skin burst, watery) then leather. Harrington Rod @ 15, 9 mos body cast, hips up. 9 more mos being careful and protective. Degenerated disc C4-5 I think well above the rod. Degenerated disc below the rod now? Probably.

Comment

4 years ago, I had to have surgery at the base of my fusion because it grew by itself and fused L5 - S1. It was pressing on the nerves and I couldn't walk. Relief from that was short lived. I now have scar tissue and bone spurs in the area. That is the first problem the doctor will look at tomorrow. I have 2 protruding discs that started in early March of this year. I had a nerve root block done to stop the severe chest pain (worse than broken ribs). I am seeing a different doctor for further treatment. He did a steroid shot in September and I still have pain. Just so you know, I also have severe arthritus in my spine that doesn't help things! My husband had a herniated disc and his was all better in 6 months just using muscle relaxers and pain medicine. Since my surgery 4 years ago, I have not been able to go back to teaching fulltime. Every time I try, the pain gets real bad. That's why I changed doctors - to try to find one that knows about my scoliosis.
        T12- L5 fusion 1975 - Rochester, NY
        2002 removal of bottom of rod and extra fusion
        3/1/11 C5-C6 disc replacement
        Daughter - T7 - L3 fusion 2004

Comment

Dearest, I am sorry.

Pretty smart to go out finding answers. You go girl. You keep on going.

Comment

Working...
          X