2 1/2 yrs post op

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 1/2 yrs post op

Well it has been quite a while since I have been in here. I have just had a quick look through some of the newer threads and I am suprised and happy to see many familiar names still posting.
    My daughter Amber is now is now 2 1/2 yrs post op.. fused T4 to L4. Of course she can't bend her back, but she has just got her learner drivers licence. She is so happy to have had the surgery done even if it has limited some of the things that she can do.
    Anyone that has questions please feel free to contact me via email, msn or yahoo

Cheryl.

P.S. Amber was one that had pain previous to her surgery.

Hi Cheryl,
    My daughter Shelby had surgery June 19 and she was also fused from T4 to L4. I am curious as to whether Amber plays any sports? Shelby's surgeon insisted that she would be able to continue with basketball and softball after not playing for this year. I am worried that she won't be able to play even though he assured her that she could. You said that Amber can't bend her back, do you mean do a back bend like in gymnastics or do you mean that she can't bend at all? Does she have any pain from standing for long periods of time? Shelby still has pain in her legs occasionally and he said it would go away eventually. We are 5 months post op but still wonder what the future holds for her.

Kathy
    Daughter Shelby 13y/o
    44T 64L Now 10T 10L
    Posterior Fusion June 19, 2006
    Fused from T4 to L4

Comment

Congratulations to Shelby on a succesful surgery and to your family for getting though it as well.
      Amber doesn't play any sports. But she does have 4 sisters that she is an absolute idiot with somedays..lol.
      She cannot bend or twist her back at all and even after all this time is still a bit scared of doing anything that may injure her.
      She can bend from her hips and has full movements of her arms, legs and neck. She can run and jump, swim ride a bike etc.. She wrestles with her sisters. I don't see why Shelby would not be able to play basketball as long as it was not too rough, as for softball, she won't be able to swing properly so unless she can come up with some other way of batting I think that would be out. It is amazing how creative kids can be when faced with a challenge like this though.
      Amber says she occasionally has an 'odd' feeling after she has been standing for a while but she said it is not really a pain and it rarely happens. She still does have numb patches but says that she is used to them and has to think about it to notice them.
      I hope this helps.
      Cheryl

Comment

Hi Cheryl,

Congrats on being 2 1/2 yrs. post op, what a good feeling that must be!

How is Amber doing with driving as far as being able to turn to look behind her? My son is almost 1 yr. post-op, he is also fused from T4-L4. He will be getting behind the wheel soon and I'm wondering if he will have any difficulties with driving. Have you (or anyone else) needed a larger rearview mirror have you had to make any adaptations as far as driving?

Renee

Comment

Amber's back held her off going for her learners permit. She was worried that she wouldn't be able to drive at first, then she lost interest in learning at all. Then a few of her friends were getting theirs or moving on to the next level. That encouraged her to see if see could.
          Besides learning the road rules the first thing we did was get her to sit in my car and see if she could get around to look over her shoulder. It involves her tilting more than turning. When your kids try you will understand, because it is the way they will just do it. Sounds weird but after this surgery and you watch them recovering you see the ways that they learn to cope with the restrictions. I walked the entire way around the car and told her to watch me the whole way, so that she would have to look over both shoulders.
          She did have to go and get a medical certificate stating that she was fit to drive. All the dr did was see how much movement she had. We went to our local dr who has know Amber most of her life.
          I have taken Amber for a few lessons now and I made her reverse the entire length of a car park, and reverse park inbetween parking bay lines, She had no problems.
          We weren't sure if she would be able to physically drive, because all the people that we knew that were driving had smaller fusions. Once the kids realise that driving even though being fused so far is possible it helps take the fear of doing it away.
          That is one of the reasons that I came back and posted that she is learning to drive. So that others with the same fusions could see that you can do it and we can help or answer any questions.
          Best wishes to all
          Cheryl.

Comment

Thanks for sharing - it's encouraging to hear that learning to drive has not been too difficult. My teen doesn't seem all that anxious to get behind the wheel yet either, maybe after all restrictions are lifted after 1 yr. post-op appt. he will feel more confident.

I like your idea of walking completely around the car while having your daughter practice looking over both shoulders. Sounds like a good place to start

Good wishes to you...

Renee

Comment

Well I thought I might add a little bit of a perspective from being the teen who went through all that. My fusion I think is the same, but only from T3 to L1 though. I have full spinal movement. I was actually the trouble child, because the one-year post-op restrictions didnt even last til i was out of surgery. I was walking in just over 24 hrs post surgery. I went home after three days, because the nurses were tired of following me. I went for walks with my dog after a week. I was running after three wks. I played soccer after three months. Oh, I really got chewed out for riding my bike. I played high school soccer 18 mths post op, after one season of club soccer to see if I could still keep up. I got my permit, and my license. I am now 18. I snowboard, play college soccer, and I mechanical bull ride. I live my life with no restraints. I have had a few aches and pains from the rods but mostly life goes on. The one thing! I have had a problem with though and I want to warn is tell your children to work on those lower back muscles. Never pick up stuff really heavy and if you do make sure there bending there knees. I recently pulled a muscle in my pack from picking up my luggage. I have never been in more pain, not even from the surgery itself. Well, Sorry if I just sound like some wild child, but worry about your kids but let them make those choices that decide their lives. -Ali K.

18 yrs old
              surgery~ Aug 2001, and three major curves.
              spinal fusion and metal rods
              but thats the past
              now~ Univ of Tenn freshman
              future~ something prime time!
              akitzrow@utk.edu (anyone email me with any questions you have!)

Comment

Hi Kathy,
                I was browsing and read your post about your daughter. I had the same fusion when I was 13 (t4-L4). I had pain before the surgery too. The way they are doing the surgery now has improved since I had mine done ('89). I thought I would let you know how it was for me as a young teen. I LOVED softball, and was able to play it after ten months post-op. I continued to play for years until I finished all of the levels. I was never really athletic, but loved ball. I was able to bat, get grounders, catch and even once made a pathetic attempt at diving into base! I was scared of sliding, but that was it. I have never been able to bend (no back bends!), but with the free vetebrae at the bottom L4 and 5, I was able to bend over and rotate with the hips. If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask.
                Cena
                Nov. 2006 - revision surgery
                Aug. 1992 - revision surgery for hook removal and pseudoarthrosis
                July 1989 - Cortrell Doubosett procedure - two rods and fusion T4-L4 (age 13)

Comment

Cena.
                  Thanks so much for your post. It gives me hope that Shelby will one day be able to enjoy the sports she so dearly misses right now. She loves basketball and just spent the last two seasons playing softball. She realized she loved it as well. I am hoping she will continue with both after her year of no sports. She has been having pain in her right leg, they did an ultrasound and did not find a blood clot thank goodness. Her surgeon says it might be nerve pain caused from the screws. He will not consider removing her hardware for a year at least but would rather wait two years. Did you have your hardware removed and if so why? What was your revision surgery for in November 2006 if you don't mind me asking? I am glad to hear your flexibility is fairly good as well, I don't expect Shelby to do a back bend but was hoping she would be somewhat flexible again.

Thanks again for your post.
                  Kathy
                  Daughter Shelby 13 y/o
                  44T 64L Now 10T 10L
                  Posterior Fusion T4 to L4
                  June 19, 2006

Comment

Hi Kathy,
                    No problems with the questions - I'm here to help if I can. My most recent surgery was because of spinal stenosis in my lumbar spine and flatback syndrome, which is associated with older methods of instrumentation. I was leaning forward, and I'm heavier, which I'm sure didn't help. Has she had the pain in her leg since the surgery?
                    The surgical procedures have changed so much since my original one - they use screws now usually, rather than hooks. I never had my rods removed (I still have them, plus some screws and rods from my latest surgery). After awhile it got to the point that I didn't notice them - I could do whatever my friends were doing. I wouldn't bungee jump or skydive but that's okay! I'm sorry if it worried you about the revisions under my name - many people have the surgeries and don't need anything further. If I could change anything from when I was a teen, it would be to have been more active - sports, exercise, etc. If there is anything else, please feel free to ask - if you'd like you can PM me too. Take care!
                    Cena
                    Nov. 2006 - revision surgery
                    Aug. 1992 - revision surgery for hook removal and pseudoarthrosis
                    July 1989 - Cortrell Doubosett procedure - two rods and fusion T4-L4 (age 13)

Comment

Working...
                    X