Left hand going numb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Left hand going numb

I saw the other post about Angela's legs going to sleep, and it sparked my interest to find out why my left hand is going numb all the time. I know it is probably due to my scoliosis, but it has just gotten really weird. The outer part of my hand (like pinkie to middle finger plus some of my palm) goes numb almost every day. It is still functionable but more than anything just annoying. Once it goes numb, it will stay tingly at least the rest of the day. Does anyone else have this problem? I haven't had surgery and my curves are T:43, L:38. (Standard S-curve). Is there anything that can be done about this?

Abbie
    aBbiE
    22 yr old F,KU college student
    Kyphoscoliosis...
    Scoliosis (25T, 23L) diagnosed @ 14 yrs old; curves June 08 were 45T, 32L with 18 degree rotation
    Kyphosis of 65 degrees...
    I am missing a lumbar vertebrae

Surgery 6/30/2008 with Dr. Lawrence Lenke
    Fused T2-L2

before/after pics
    all smiles!

Weird...I have something similar that happens but it is just the tip/top joint of pinkie, ring & middle fingers of left hand. It doesn't go completely numb, just tingly numb and the temperature of those fingers will feel cooler compared to the other fingers. Like you, I have scoli but have not had surgery. This started occuring after I injured/strained my left arm. The inside part of the elbow joint will occasionally feel tender & to me looks and feels somewhat swollen compared to right arm. I feel it is scoli related, esp. since I have been feeling alot of neck strain lately, mostly on the left side. Don't know what to do about it, I usually will try stretching & flexing if it gets too annoying.

Renee

Comment

I also have been getting numbness in both my hands when I get pain in my thoracic screws, ever since my last surgery almost a year ago.

My big toe on my left foot goes completely numb too, and I wonder what could be the cause. It's a weird sensation to say the least.
      35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
      Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
      Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
      Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
      Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

amae28,
        I could very well be a problem with the nerves in your neck. I also had the same problem, along with pain in my neck. I had fusion and plates put in at C5/C6/C7 and have had no problem since
        SandyC

Comment

I have never heard of someone's hand going numb due to scoliosis. That sounds like it is something related to nerves in your neck.

Comment

could be due to compression of nerves in your neck, brachial plexus... or the ulnar nerve.

the pain distribution you described is where the ulnar nerve innervates to. Does the pain ever radiate elsewhere?

Do you lean on your elbow a lot? The ulnar nerve runs under your elbow (where you hit the 'funny bone') and it can get compressed if you lean on it wrong... it happened to me for a while.

I have numbness down my left arm but that's due to spinal nerve root tumors and tumors on my brachial plexus.
            30 something y.o.

2003 - T45, L???
            2005 - T50, L31
            bunch of measurements between...

2011 - T60, L32
            2013 - T68, L?

Posterior Fusion Sept 2014 -- T3 - L3
            Post - op curve ~35

Comment

Thanks for all of the replies- I definitely don't feel alone in the tingly/numb hand category anymore!
              My neck and hand don't hurt- in fact my neck feels perfectly fine. Nothing is wrong with my neck that I know of, my scoliosis stops in the thoracic area. It could be that I lean on my elbow a lot, but it goes numb when I'm not leaning on it too. So, I don't know. I have an appointment at the begginning of January with a new doctor because I might have to have surgery due to a lot of pain in my thoracic spine. Maybe he'll have something to say about the tingly hand too.

Abbie
              aBbiE
              22 yr old F,KU college student
              Kyphoscoliosis...
              Scoliosis (25T, 23L) diagnosed @ 14 yrs old; curves June 08 were 45T, 32L with 18 degree rotation
              Kyphosis of 65 degrees...
              I am missing a lumbar vertebrae

Surgery 6/30/2008 with Dr. Lawrence Lenke
              Fused T2-L2

before/after pics
              all smiles!

Comment

Originally posted by amae28
                It could be that I lean on my elbow a lot, but it goes numb when I'm not leaning on it too.
                Sometimes the ulnar nerve can get entrapped, it's called the Cubital Tunnel Syndrome.

Oh, I forgot to mention before but I get flare ups of numbness due to ulnar nerve compression if I keep my elbows bent for too long (like while sleeping)
                30 something y.o.

2003 - T45, L???
                2005 - T50, L31
                bunch of measurements between...

2011 - T60, L32
                2013 - T68, L?

Posterior Fusion Sept 2014 -- T3 - L3
                Post - op curve ~35

Comment

Originally posted by green m&m
                  could be due to compression of nerves in your neck, brachial plexus... or the ulnar nerve.

the pain distribution you described is where the ulnar nerve innervates to. Does the pain ever radiate elsewhere?

Do you lean on your elbow a lot? The ulnar nerve runs under your elbow (where you hit the 'funny bone') and it can get compressed if you lean on it wrong... it happened to me for a while.

I have numbness down my left arm but that's due to spinal nerve root tumors and tumors on my brachial plexus.
                  Interesting, it seems the more neck pain/issues I have, the more my left arm bothers me. When it first started, it ached from shoulder to elbow, then a weird, achey, tingly, almost electrical sensation from elbow to fingertips.

Yes, I do lean on my left elbow alot, I've noticed. Especially when on the computer but also, I sleep alot on my left side, with that arm bent...makes sense now that that could be the cause of the problem. I'll try to adjust and hopefully that will help somewhat, thanks alot!

Renee

Comment

Hiya, exactly the same thing happens to me, so I asked my doctor about it last time I went for a scoliosis check up.

In my case it's due to a small bone spur in my neck and it's not anything to worry about, but I'll need to keep an eye on it in case it gets worse.

You're right though - it is annoying!!

Comment

Working...
                    X