Best way to deliver twins w/ scoli

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best way to deliver twins w/ scoli

I'm almost 8 months pregnent with twins and I dont know the best way to deliver (vaginal or c-section) my other kids were diagnosed after or at birth. I am nervous because I havnt had twins before to. Any words of aid appreciated. Does anyone know what I should do?
    Annie. (61* Before surgery 8* after, Surgery 1990)
    Mother of
    Anna, age 11, 54* curve (surgery on 9/2)
    Mack, age 7, 32* curve (TLSO Brace)
    Meghan, age 2 18* curve (Monitering)
    www.potterfamily.piczo.com

First off, congratulations on your pregnancy !!!!! I don't know if there is any way to tell whether your two babies will have scoliosis unless it's congenital and they can see the malformed vertebrae through an ultrasound. Since three of your children already have scoliosis, I guess the likelihood of having more children with scoliosis is alot greater Anything is possible and I wouldn't start to panic just yet. As for giving birth by c-section or vaginally really depends on what your O/B thinks and the gestation period.

Since your babies are genetically predisposed to getting scoliosis, be careful not to place them for long periods in car seats or infant swings since that may perpetuate a curved spine. I would also try to gently massage their little backs on a regular basis once they're born. I believe laying the babies in a prone position (face down) is a good idea.... however be close by when you do due to risk of SID. Carrying the babies in snugglies with their backs against your chest will apply traction to their little spines and I think will help in the longrun.

Good luck and keep us posted on what happens!

Canadian eh
    Daughter, Deirdre born Oct 2000. Diagnosed with 60 degree curve at the age of 19 months. Serial casting by Dr. Hedden at Sick Kid's Hospital. Currently being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard in Montreal with the Spinecor brace and curve is holding at "2" degrees. Next appointment 2008

Comment

I looked at your web pages the other day! Your children are so beuatiful. I hope Anna is still doing well! Congratulations on your pregnancy!
      God has used scoliosis to strengthen and mold us. He's good all the time!On this forum these larger curves have not held forever in Spinecor,with an initial positive response followed by deterioration. With deterioration, change treatment.The first year she gained 4 or 5 inches and was stable at around 20/20 in brace, followed by rapid progression the next year.She is now 51/40 (Jan2008)out of brace (40/30 in Spinecor) and started at 38/27 out of brace(Jan2006.) Now in Cheneau.

Comment

Thanks Celia Vogel and cherylplinder! their scolioisis is congenital. I actually talked to my o/b this morning and we decided on a c-section. im nervous though because i have never gotten regional anthesisa before and the last time i had surgery on my front it was an emergency (appendicits) (sp?) and i was 9 (1984). i havent gotten surgery for 16 years. ill let you no how my pregnency is going and joe (my husband) said he can update during those few days im in the hospital.
        Mother of

Comment

Did the doctor tell you that both unborn babies have congenital scoliosis with malformed vertebrae? I read in another thread that you and your husband both have scoliosis so I guess the scoli gene is dominant. You certainly have a lot on your plate....I only have one little girl with scoliosis and it hasn't been an easy road for us to say the least. My husband also has scoliosis but it's very mild and he was never treated for it - in fact he only discovered he had scoliosis after my daughter was diagnosed with a sixty degree curve 4 years ago.

Anyway....good luck with everything and give those babies a big hug from me

Canadian eh
          Daughter, Deirdre born Oct 2000. Diagnosed with 60 degree curve at the age of 19 months. Serial casting by Dr. Hedden at Sick Kid's Hospital. Currently being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard in Montreal with the Spinecor brace and curve is holding at "2" degrees. Next appointment 2008

Comment

yes they both have scoliosis. she said one will be worse than he other tho. she said one will be in the 20s and one in the ones. my husbands scoli is mild, he was braced as a kid but not anymore (i think he is supposed to wear his brace tho)
            Mother of

Comment

So Anna, Mack and Meghan all have congenital scoliosis? They seem to be doing quite well. I was susprised that they didn't want to brace Meghan before her curve progressed more. But I know they treat congenital scoliosis much differently than idiopathic.
              God has used scoliosis to strengthen and mold us. He's good all the time!On this forum these larger curves have not held forever in Spinecor,with an initial positive response followed by deterioration. With deterioration, change treatment.The first year she gained 4 or 5 inches and was stable at around 20/20 in brace, followed by rapid progression the next year.She is now 51/40 (Jan2008)out of brace (40/30 in Spinecor) and started at 38/27 out of brace(Jan2006.) Now in Cheneau.

Comment

ya i dont no. they were considering it and they said they would look @ her xrays and call us. but that was a few weeks ago. so i hope they call soon.
                Mother of

Comment

Is general anesthesia an option?

Have you discussed genral anesthesia with your ob/gyn for the delivery? When I had my first child she too was c-section but I was put under. If you're ansty about the regional, you might consider it an option - in deliveries you are under for so short a time and they are in and out very quickly.

Didn't know about your other children having congenital as well - you do have a full plate, but I am sure you will be able to manage it seems we always find strength when we least expect we have any left.

Good luck with the pregnancy and the delivery! My best to you!

Maria

Comment

ceasarean birth

Hi: Just wanted to share my experience. I delivered 4 births naturally and then my daughter was born by ceasarean section. The recovery time with a vaginal birth is nothing compared to ceasarean, and I just felt drained for many months. Ofcourse, the health of the babies must come first, but if you are able to deliver without surgery you'll have a ton more energy for your mom jobs afterward. I'll be cheering and saying a little prayer that all goes well- Megan

Comment

c-section/general anesthetics

this is actually in reference to majoses' comment,
                      I am a 25 year old, born with scoliosis, had rod surgery when I was 12/13, and now am 6 months pregnant with mine and husbands first child. The doctor is talking c-section with general anesthetics, because of how small my hips/pelvis are, and then they do not feel comfortable trying for an epideral. Because of the angle of my throat/windpipe they are concerned with the breathing tube they will use for surgery, and will be inserting this while I am still awake before c-section.
                      I am really concerned and scared, and am looking for anyone that has been through this to maybe give me some reassurance and advice. So far my pregnancy has been beautiful, and would love to have more children after this one, but the whole "delivery" issue is really freaking me out.
                      My doctors are making me mad, because they act as everything is so routine, when I know otherwise. They also act as if I should just know and understand everything that is going to happen, and I feel so lost and scared. PLease, can anyone shed a light for me?
                      Thanks,
                      6 months scared

Comment

Working...
                      X