anyone with kids...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anyone with kids...

are kids usually allowed to visit at the hospital? i have three children ages 9,7, and 5 and i was hoping they could come visit regularly.im going to be in the hospital 2 weeks, one for surgery and the other for rehab.this is what makes me want to cancel my surgery so much is the fact i will be gone for 2 weeks.
    Trudy T60 L70 posterior surgery feb.8th 2007

just my thoughts..

I was sad when I was told that my kids could'nt come in my hospital room. they were under the age. they are 7 & 10. As it turned out, all was for the better. I was in for 10 days at HSS in NYCity & to tell you the truth, I was completely out of it for most of the first week. After that, I was working on getting up & around with P.T. but honestly it is such a big surgery, I really did'nt want them to see me like I was. I still looked like 'hell' by the end of my stay! I think everything there would have frightened them... it was for the best. My kids did not see me till I was in the rehab & my older was very upset to then see me in a wheelchair..so that was rough enough on him...
    They may be better off not coming in to the hospital. At least in rehab, you'll look a lot better & feel better & be more 'with it'.....Ly

Comment

I left my kids at home (ages 3 & 6). But, my sister traveled to come see me in the hospital and brought her daughter who is 7. She was not allowed to come into the ICU to see me, but was allowed once I was moved into a regular room. I do not remember seeing her there the first few days. I do think though by the 4th or 5th day you should be just fine to see them. It depends on the child, but it may put their little minds at ease to see that you are o.k. I'm sure they will be worried about their mommy!

Good Luck to you!

Comment

Hi Gayle, My kids were 10 and 16 and allowed in my room. (I was in for 8 days.) I was never in ICU. It was good I think for them to see me and know I was O.K. (They didn't come in till my 3rd day when I finally was "with it") It was good for me to see them and I was able to assure them I was doing fine. I thought their imagination would run wild and I didn't want them to worry needlessly. Best wishes.

Comment

my oldest daughter that is 9 is worried the most i think out of the other two.she seems more aware i guess of whats happening but i told her she could come to my rehab and wheel me around in my wheelchair..lol..she liked that..lol.
          Trudy T60 L70 posterior surgery feb.8th 2007

Comment

My 2 1/2 yr old little girl came and saw me the day before I was released. I was in the ICU longer than was expected or I would have seen her earlier in my stay. I was told that no children under the age of 9 could be in the ICU, but once sent to a regular room children are allowed regardless of age. I would strongly caution you and your family to use good judgement when considering for very young children (like mine) to come to the hospital. I was looking very rough and I think this is what scared my little girl the most. She was okay once she understood that I was "okay", just needed a shower..lol.
            Angela
            29 y/o f w/76 degree curve.Surgery done on June 26th, A/P, rods, instumentaion, rib removal- now 18 degrees!!

Comment

I think it depends on your child. My son came to see me once when I was in the hospital and I was in for 2 weeks. When I went to rehab it was closer so he came everyday.
              surgery 9/06
              Rothman institute

Comment

My grandkids came and seen me while I was in ICU. About my 4th day. I think it scared them a little. I had all these tubes in me and I looked awful. I remember them being there but barely. I was so out of it. They were asking me all kinds of questions about all these tubes and I don't remember if I answered them correctly or not. My oldest granddaughter brushed my hair for me. She was the most concerned. They were 7,10 and 11 at that time. I do wich now that they had not came because it bothered them for awhile. But they have forgotten about it now. They don't seem like it affected them one way or the other now.
                Mattie

Comment

I was able to see my little girl who was 2 at the time when I had my surgery. I was pretty out of it and don't remember the exact dates. I know that she was scared and didn't want to have anything to do with me for a while (she knew mommy wasn't feeling well) I was in the hospital for a week. I couldn't stand the cranky woman I had to share a room with so I made myself walk eventhough I had a massive spinal fluid headache just so I could go home (darn those two story town houses)
                  25 yr old female =^_^=
                  Thoracic curve 48 degrees (with kyphosis)
                  Lumbar curve 23 degrees
                  surgery from t5-l1 25 July 2005
                  Two rods and 16 screws later . . . 0 degrees YAY!

Comment

I really didn't feel like visitors at all during my hospital stay but then I don't have small children. One thing that I did like was talking on the phone to family and friends when I felt up to it.

Comment

My 2 cents...

I had my surgery at Baylor in Plano, and then went to Baylor Rehab. I sent my daughter, who was 5, to visit relatives in TN while I was at the hospital. I wasn't allowed to have any visitors until I got out of ICU and in my own room. But a week later when I went to rehab my daughter was back and was able to visit me whenever my husband came. To be honest, the first time my daughter saw me with my brace on in rehab she was scared...another thing to keep in mind. But after a few minutes of hugs and comforting words from then on, she didn't let go of my hand and enjoyed a few "rides" in my hospital style bed. It will all be fine and in the end you will turn out to be a better mom after recuperation and everything. I'm now almost 4mos post-op and do not regret for even one second sending my daughter to relatives during my hospital stay as I think it would've been just too much to see mommy hooked up to IV and in so much pain a lot of the time. Take care and I pray for a successful surgery and speedy recovery for you. Elisha
                      Elisha
                      http://360.yahoo.com/elishadunaway
                      Scoliosis diagnosed at 14, curve was 22 degrees, wore Boston brace for a couple years.
                      Left lumbar curve has now progressed at age 33 to approx. 50 degrees and surgery is scheduled with Dr. Alexis Shelokov at Baylor Hospital in Plano, TX for July 27, 2006.
                      pre-op curve: 50 degrees
                      post-op curve:15 degrees!!

Will be praying that the Great Physician will guide all of our doctors' hands!

Comment

Working...
                      X