Legs falling asleep

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Legs falling asleep

Okay, I'm getting really worried about this. I will call my surgeon's office tommarow and seek his advise, but wondered if anyone else is having this problem. My legs are now just spontaneously (sp?) falling asleep... it has happened 3 times today. Two of the times I was walking and both "fell asleep". I had to grab onto my countertop in my kitchen and yell for my hubby to help. I have had alot of neurolgical type probs since my surgery- I'm getting so worried! I'm still having the bad spasms in my back still- nobody can even touch my back or even the slightest movements like someone walking behind me- or the wind blowing starts the spasms.. even on all the meds I am taking this still happens.... Has anyone else had these probs? I feel like my surgeons office does not take me seriously- like they think I'm making all of this up. Sorry to vent, I'm just frustrated! Maybe I need to seek the advise of another surgeon?! My pain management doc seems to understand and tries to help.. we are still working on the right meds... On a happier note- my daughter was a duck for Halloween- she is so precious!!! I hope everyone had a pleasant Halloween!
    Angela
    29 y/o f w/76 degree curve.Surgery done on June 26th, A/P, rods, instumentaion, rib removal- now 18 degrees!!

I don't like that you feel your surgeon's office is'nt taking you seriously on something like this...I have only had a slight numbness on my left leg/thigh area since surgery/ my big incision is on my left side...
    Have you been in recently for them to check you??x-rays & all? were you having spasms before surgery-just curious.....Ly

Comment

I went in last Thursday for my 4 month check-up with my surgeon's office. They took X-Rays- said everything looked good.. when I told him about the spasms & my legs falling asleep.. he increased my meds for spasms and said that hopefully over time it will just clear itself up... I called his office this am, and they said that "it is to be expected" and not to worry about- but yeah, I do worry. I did not have the spasms or the spontaneous falling asleep of my legs before the surgery. They would fall asleep if I had my legs crossed before the surgery- but not while I was walking... I'm going to check with my Ins. company here in a bit to find a second opinion. My surgeon's office gives me very vague info since my surgery and that scares me. When I was there last week he said that he would like me to continue with my back brace for another 3-4 months!! augh!! When I asked why, he said that since I am still having probs, he would like to continue with the brace. When I asked about PT he said "NO", that we will revisit the idea at my appt. in December.. I had a EMG about a month or so ago and it only revealed that my "paraspinals" are spontaneously spasming, and that I should try some meds for it, so they put me on Baclofen. Pretty much the "gist" from the EMG shows that I have neuropathy & paraspinal probs. My pain mgmt doc thinks that these probs may be coming from a nerve that runs from around the rib cage area (where my ribs were removed) and that if it continues he would like me to consider having a nerve block to deaden the nerve there. This has all been so disheartening, I still cannot work and I am continuing on the path of SS Disability. I am also taking a tons of meds, which I do not like either- but the pain has been unbearable to say the least. They have me on Neurontin (for nerve pain), Baclofen (for nerve pain & muscle spasms), Methadone (for pain), oxycodone (for breakthrough pain) and Mobic (for arthritis pain). I am in more pain now than I was before my surgery (collapsed ribs & all!!!). I just feel sooooo frustrated and alone. Sorry to vent again, but I have been trying to keep this all in as I did not want to scare anyone about to have this surgery- as I know that this is not a normal outcome- if there is a "normal" to all of this anyhow.
      Angela
      29 y/o f w/76 degree curve.Surgery done on June 26th, A/P, rods, instumentaion, rib removal- now 18 degrees!!

Comment

Angela -- I'm so sorry you're having such a rough time.

Please don't apologize for venting or for being honest. Those of us waiting for surgery know it's not going to be a cake walk, and know that everyone has a different experience with it. I hope and pray that your nerve problems are resolved soon.

Take care,
        Chris
        A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
        Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
        Post-op curve: 12 degrees
        Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Hi Angela,

please don't feel sorry about venting, again this is what forums like this exists and I know we all like to be positive but you have to share your journey and seek help. I would maybe get a second opinion if you don't get better, and as for your legs maybe a neurologist? I'm SO sorry that you're feeling scared and are in pain, (((hugs)))

I do have spasms and can't get winds touching my back or scared or hear big noises without feeling my nerves "freak out" so to speak, and that's one of the reasons I didn't go to haunted houses this year, I'm still 10 months post revision but it gets better. Last night it was FREEZING(0 celsius) and there were a lot of kids coming to our door, so by the night's end I was in a LOT of pain, that's annoying that cold gets my back out of whack like that but oh well.

I'm glad you had a good Halloween
          35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
          Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
          Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
          Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
          Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

Hi Angela,

As you know I also had a rough recovery. And don't take "it's too soon to tell" or "that's to be expected"!!! Whether it is or is isn't, there's no comfort in that response.

I personally loved my doctor, but his nurse that I had to deal with over the phone, most of the time, I considered the "nurse from hell"!!! Fight for your freedom from pain!!!

You are in my thoughts,
            Shari

Comment

Working...
            X