Now pain in left hip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Marilyn,

I'm so glad that you liked Dr. LaGrone. About how long of a drive from the airport to his office? Did you have to do any x-rays there as well? My appointment isn't until December 12th. On the 4th I go back to pain management to let them know how I'm doing with the morphine. Then in the afternoon I will see the pulmunologist. I can't wait to hear what he told you! I hope it's all stuff that can be taken care of. Waiting to hear back from you!
    Theresa

April 8 & 12, 2004 - Anterior/Posterior surgery 15 hours & 7 hours
    Thorasic - 79 degree down to 22
    Lumbar - 44 degree down to 18
    Fused T2 to sacrum
    June 2, 2005 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @L3 7 hours
    MAY 21, 2007 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @ L2, extended the fusion to S2 and added pelvic instrumentation 9 hours

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

Theresa

The drive from the airport to the doctor's office took about 25 or so minutes. I'm at work now but when I get home tonight I will post detailed directions for you. They took two x-rays, one from the side and one from the front. Each x-ray was from the head all the way down to below the hip...both were very long x-rays. He suggested an MRI based on my condition and since I planned to leave the next day the wonderful office staff got the hospital to do one for me that very evening and even called my insurance to pre-certify the MRI for me (something that my insurance requires of me). However, he also mentioned that an MRI can be done in Houston and sent to him but since I was there until the next day I opted to do everything there.

Wow, please let us know how it goes with the pain management appointment and the pulmunologist. I'll post more about my condition later..thank you!

1975 Clear hard plastic body cast worn
      1976 Operated for high grade Spondylolisthesis; lumbar fused from L2-Sacrum and Harrington rods inserted
      1976 Wore regular type body cast and in bed rest for 1 year
      1977 Rods removed
      2006 Diagnosed with Flat back syndrome with sagittal imbalance
      2008 Scheduled for wide pedicle subtraction osteotomy, sooner if pain increases

My email is ahlan_warda@yahoo.com

Comment

Theresa

I hope that you are feeling better. Please let us know what the doctor says tomorrow, Dec. 4th. Directions to Dr. LaGrone's office is below.

I-40 West to Bell Street and turn right once on Bell Street
        Stay on Bell Street until you pass 2 lights
        After 2nd light exit to the right where a sing says "9th Avenue East", left
        Stay on 9th Avenue East and on the 2nd street, Sunny, turn left
        The doctor's office is in building #13.

As you can see from my updated signiture I now need an osteotomy. I posted a new thread under that name. Would you mind sharing your story under my new thread, called osteotomy, in the revision folder?

Thank you very much.
        Marilyn

1976 Operated for high grade Spondylolisthesis; lumbar fused from L2-Sacrum and Harrington rods inserted
        1977 Rods removed

Comment

pain in hip

fours years after my anterior/posterior fusion, i also have developed continuous pain in my right hip. dr. boachie did my successful fusion, and just recently diagnosed me with bursitis in my hip, after a new x-ray and mri. overuse of my hip flexors, compensation and other factors, including the eliptical machine at the gym may be factors. so i've gone back to the treadmill, make sure to stretch, and use ice and advil. hopefully the pain will resolve soon. oh--and i gave up shoes with a heel over 1 inch!
          actually, i was pain free following my surgery up until now.
          i think this is my first posting, but i've been reading the postings for years. i think it is a phenomenal resource.

Comment

Thanks for posting Ginger. I am sorry that you are now going through pain. My new doctor plans to call me tomorrow with the results of the MRI and x-rays. Thanks for sharing because I will now go research the net for bursitis of the hip and be ready with questions when he calls in the event he tells me the same thing. We'll see.

Yes, this website is awesome!

Marilyn

p.s. I am so short that I always wear heels...but I've been meaning to try to wear lower heels. Great advice! Thanks.

1977 Rods removed

Comment

Marilyn,

I just got home from the medical center. The doctor said I have some paralysis to the right side of my diaphgram. After Christmas I need to do a sniff test and a lung capacity test. The sniff test involves sniffing some kind of powder or something like that and then they x-ray my lungs to see how much of it I was able to sniff in. The pain management doctor increased the morphine to 30 mg every 12 hours. They took me off of the zanaflex (I've been getting to sleepy on it) and put me back on Robaxin. I also got my new medicine for Colorado. It's called Diamox, I start taking it before I leave and continue to take it while I'm there. It's been a long day, so I'm off to eat some Malt-O-Meal (YUM!!!) and go to bed.
              Theresa

Fused T2 to sacrum
              MAY 21, 2007 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @ L2, extended the fusion to S2 and added pelvic instrumentation 9 hours

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

Theresa...

Wow! You certainly have had a very long day! I hope that the switch of medicine helps tons better. I'll PM you with my home/cell phone so call when you have time and are feeling better. No hurry whatsoever. Just feel better, fast.

I am so sorry to learn that you need more morphine and the paralysis in your diaphram. Any word on how that happened? I can't wait until you get to Dr. LaGrone to find out what's going on for certain and hopefully feel better soon.

Stay in touch and feel better.

God bless you

Marilyn

1977 Rods removed

Comment

Originally posted by ginger
                  fours years after my anterior/posterior fusion, i also have developed continuous pain in my right hip. dr. boachie did my successful fusion, and just recently diagnosed me with bursitis in my hip, after a new x-ray and mri. overuse of my hip flexors, compensation and other factors, including the eliptical machine at the gym may be factors. so i've gone back to the treadmill, make sure to stretch, and use ice and advil. hopefully the pain will resolve soon. oh--and i gave up shoes with a heel over 1 inch!
                  actually, i was pain free following my surgery up until now.
                  i think this is my first posting, but i've been reading the postings for years. i think it is a phenomenal resource.
                  Hi Ginger
                  I have been diagnosed with bursitis in my left hip, same thing overuse of hip flexors, I too have been pain free for quite a while after my surgery until this.
                  I have been having therepy for a few weeks now, ultrasound, message, exercises and a patch that delivers anti inflamatory medicine through the skin.It is helping so far, but I find the pain is still bad at night, I've been told to sleep with a pillow between my knees. I gave up my shoe fettish years ago, I find Danscos and merrills to be my best bet for shoes.
                  Maybe your surgeon could prescribe a course of therepy for you. strange, it's been four years since my posterior/ anterior fusion also.

Comment

I have had bursitis in my hips off and on for years, even though I had A/P. My pcp injects, into the hip joint, predinsone. For me, it will be effective pretty close to a year, before it flairs again. You might ask about it.
                    SandyC

Comment

Marilyn,

Sorry it took so long to write back. We got back from Dr. LaGrone's about 11 pm Tuesday night. The next two days at work and home were very hectic . I was trying to get all the loose ends tied up at work and trying to pack, shop, wrap presents and get things organized to fly up to Colorado Springs on Friday. My husband and son were driving in and would arrive about 3 days later than me.
                      We booked June 4th for surgery with Dr. LaGrone in Amarillo. He will be doing another osteotomy and re-instrumentation probably at the L-2 level. He is also going to take the fusion down lower on the sacrum because it looks like I might have some micromotion going on at the last set of screws. There are slight halos about the L5 pedicle screws indicating that there is some small amount of movement going on that could be causing some of the pain. He said that I would possibly be in Amarillo for about 10 days. After that I should be able to go home. It's only a 2 hour plane ride versus a 10 to 12 hour car drive. He said that he would probably remove about the same amount as he did last time. I can't wait for June, I feel like this will be the fine tuning that I need.

Let me know about your decisions.
                      Theresa
                      Last edited by Theresa; 12-31-2006, 03:15 PM.
                      Theresa

Fused T2 to sacrum

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

Another Osteotomy?

Hi Theresa.

You are so nice to think of me and respond. Thank you.

I am so sorry that you will need another osteotomy , but I hope that the result will mean getting rid of the tremendous pain that you are in now. I just cannot imagine what you are going through, but I am happy to learn that our terrific doctor may have located the source of your pain and can fix it. You have gone through so much!

Like you, Dr. LaGrone told me that my osteotomy will require me to stay in Amarillo around 10 days, 4-5 days in the hospital and 5-7 days in rehab. I agree, a plane ride is a ton better than driving so many hours.

I'm a bit confused about what he told me but he did say that I need a wide pedicle subtraction osteotomy in my lower lumber area and may need to extend my existing fusion (L2 to the Sacrum) 1 or 2 levels up. I decided to go ahead with the osteotomy but not until around April of 2008 because my insurance does not pay much and I don't know, but think that staying in the hospital that long and such a complex operation may cost an astronomical amount of money. I need to save a whole bunch of money. I just hope that my back does not worsen between now and early 2008. It hurts tons more when I sit for any length of time and since I am an admin, this is a great problem. He did say that if I plan to wait to please go see him mid-2007. It scares me a bit that he wants to see me sooner if I plan to wait.

I am so impressed with Dr. LaGrone's knowledge and expertise! We are certainly in very good hands.

Take care and please stay in touch.

Marilyn

1977 Rods removed

Comment

I have just read all the posts and gee they were interesting. You guys are so very lucky to have such a fantastic doctor over there. I can definately relate to what you are going through as our pain is similiar.

You are all just so incredible and positive which I think we all have to be. Sometimes it is hard to be that way isnt it but the worse thing we can do is let it all get to us.

You all should be so very proud of yourselves, I really mean that.

Macky
                          Operation 1966, Fused from T4 to L3, had Harrington rods inserted. Originally had an 85 degree Thoracic curve with lumbar scoliosis as well but had a good correction.
                          Perfectly normal life till 1997 but now in a lot of pain daily. Consider myself very fortunate though.

Comment

Hi Macky...

I hear you. I can't imagine thinking of a long life ahead in chronic pain.

I don't know if it will help, but I know that Dr. Boachie and the FOCOS team, who normally perform surgery for free in Ghana and Barbados, occasionally does very low cost surgery for people outside of those areas. (I believe the patients have to fly to Ghana or the Barbados.) If that seems do-able, and you're interested, you should probably start by filling out this form:

http://www.orthofocos.org/contact.html

Regards,
                            Linda
                            Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                            Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                            Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

You are my dear Linda one of the nicest people I have known in my life time.

Nothing seems to be too much trouble and you really go out of your way to try and help people and give them the benefit of your knowledge.

Thankyou so much for that info. You do all this because you obviously get a lot of pleasure in helping people. You deserve all the cudos I can give. Have a great 2007.

Lorraine. xx
                              Operation 1966, Fused from T4 to L3, had Harrington rods inserted. Originally had an 85 degree Thoracic curve with lumbar scoliosis as well but had a good correction.
                              Perfectly normal life till 1997 but now in a lot of pain daily. Consider myself very fortunate though.

Comment

Hi Macky,

Thanks for those beautiful words of encouragement and praise. But as you said, we can't let it get to us. I figured I was going to give one last doctor a shot. I feel that my doctor has done his best and even Dr. LaGrone has commented on his beautiful work. But, some of us just don't like to play by the rules and that is where Dr. LaGrone comes in! He said that I'm still 10 cm to far forward on my x-rays. Also, he thinks that alot of the pain might be coming from my hemi vert.
                                Theresa

Fused T2 to sacrum

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

Working...
                                X