Clear All

Hi Jennifer...

It might be an incisional hernia. Check out these threads:

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showthread.php?t=4469
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showthread.php?t=3898
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1036

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

jen,
      I asked my husband how my scars look. His reply was, "What scars? You have scars on your belly?"
      I checked in the mirror. It's a bit like pocket stitching.
      Your bumps may be staples or interior stitches. They can move sometimes. They may even eventually work out. Don't worry, but do check with your MD.
      Good luck.
      Jeralyn is Queen!

Comment

Jeralyn, here I sit with my mouth open. My goodness Honestly your story is just terrible. The pain and anguish you have suffered, wow, dont know how on earth you got through it. I know now hey, I am not bad off at all!! I have the hot spot pain you mentioned between the shoulder blades as well now, I thought it was a nerve.

Marihou, good luck on the 28th, I will be thinking of you.

God bless,
        Lorraine.
        Operation 1966, Fused from T4 to L3, had Harrington rods inserted. Originally had an 85 degree Thoracic curve with lumbar scoliosis as well but had a good correction.
        Perfectly normal life till 1997 but now in a lot of pain daily. Consider myself very fortunate though.

Comment

Thank you Lorraine. I can't wait to go see Dr. Lagrone after so many, including Linda Racine, on this website recommended him. I'll say one thing right up front...his office staff is incredibly nice. Every time that I've called they are polite and appear genuinely eager to help.

God bless you too.

Marilyn

1975 Clear hard plastic body cast worn
          1976 Operated for high grade Spondylolisthesis; lumbar fused from L2-Sacrum and Harrington rods inserted
          1976 Wore regular type body cast and in bed rest for 1 year
          1977 Rods removed
          2006 Diagnosed with Flat back syndrome with sagittal imbalance
          2008 Scheduled for wide pedicle subtraction osteotomy, sooner if pain increases

My email is ahlan_warda@yahoo.com

Comment

For Theresa

Hi Theresa

I just received the forms from Dr. Lagrone's office. Each page is a different color and there are a total of 6 pages, some front and back. Not too much paperwork. It does say in bold on the very first page "If you are traveling from another city or state, please be sure and call 2-3 days before to confirm your appointment with our office..." Wow, I hope that he doesn't cancel on me because I've spent $400 on airfare alone. They gave me a 3:30P appointment because I am from out of town/a new patient and he likes to see everyone first to dedicate time with the out-of-towners. That is very nice, but that means I have to overnigt becuase there isn't a late enough flight out. Oh well.

Let me know if you need any other information.

Hugz

Marilyn

1976 Operated for high grade Spondylolisthesis; lumbar fused from L2-Sacrum and Harrington rods inserted
            1977 Rods removed

Comment

Hey Marilyn

I got my paperwork yesterday also. It really isn't bad. My appointment is also at 3:30pm. I'm flying in on the 10 am flight and catching the 7:40 one home. It gets me back here to Houston at 9:55 pm. It takes about another 30 to 40 minutes to get home. I live on the Northeast side, just south of Atascocita in the Humble area (right by Lake Houston).
              Were you not able to get in on the Southwest special for $180 roundtrip? I was lucky enough to be able to use a Southwest free ticket. My husband flys all the time on Southwest. Hopefully he will be setting up a visit with one of his customers there in Amarillo, that way we won't have to pay for his flight either.
              Our daughter is going to drive down from Colorado Springs to meet me at the airport in Amarillo. She's a lawyer and has started her own practice and said that nothing is planned for Dec 12th so far so she has set the time aside to also come to the doctor visit. It's only about a 6 to 6 1/2 hour car drive.
              I see my surgeon Monday for my regular 6 month checkup so I'll let him know what's going on and also pick up all of my before and after x-rays and MRI and CT films. I hope all of them were put on a CD disc that I can just put in my purse.
              Let me know how your visit goes! Good Luck!
              Theresa

April 8 & 12, 2004 - Anterior/Posterior surgery 15 hours & 7 hours
              Thorasic - 79 degree down to 22
              Lumbar - 44 degree down to 18
              Fused T2 to sacrum
              June 2, 2005 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @L3 7 hours
              MAY 21, 2007 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @ L2, extended the fusion to S2 and added pelvic instrumentation 9 hours

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

Hi Therea

I thought about catching a flight back the same day but since I'm a new patient and don't know when I'll leave the doctor's office I didn't know if I could make the 7:40P flight. I hope to do the same thing that you are doing the next time for sure. My Continental flight is about the same price so I decided to go through IAH as opposed to HOU because its easier to get there from my home in the northwest side of town. Wow...how fortunate that your husband travels enough for you to have a free ticket. That is such good news. Also, what a blessing that your daughter can meet you there! That is fantastic!

Funny you mentioned xrays, I have about 30 of them dating back to 1976 (pre-post op) and I was thinking how I will need to carry them on the flight with me. I sure wish, also, that all those xrays could be burned to a CD at a relatively low cost. That would be so wonderful for me.

Good luck also and please stay in touch.

1977 Rods removed

Comment

Marilyn,

I'm a new patient to Dr. LaGrone also and Kathy(?) said they usually have you out of there by 5:30 pm and they are very close to the airport.

I wish Southwest still flew out of IAH because we are only 15 to 20 minutes east of the airport on Beltway 8. I'll be going out of Hobby which takes about 30 to 40 minutes.

I don't have any of the x-rays from when I was a teenager. But with living in Japan and Germany at the time they took the x-rays (also with my dad being in the Air Force) they aren't anywhere around. The military doctors never did anything about my curves. They said there was nothing that they could do.

When I had my A/P surgery April 2004, that was the first time I had any treatment for my scoliosis.
                  Theresa

Fused T2 to sacrum
                  MAY 21, 2007 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @ L2, extended the fusion to S2 and added pelvic instrumentation 9 hours

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

Marilyn,

Good luck with your doctor appointment on Tuesday! Let me know how it goes. How are you carrying your x-rays?
                    Mine are so heavy that I am going to put them in a small rolling bag. There is no way that I will be able to carry them and walk around the airport with them!

Does anyone know if it's okay for the x-rays to go through the scanning machine at the security checkpoint?

I had an appointment with my pain management doctor and my surgeon this past week. The pain management doctor has changed my hydrocodone to Kadian (morphine) because it just wasn't working very well. I'm starting out on the lowest dose and go back in two weeks to have it increased. I will only have to take it twice a day versus four times a day.

The surgeon still doesn't know why I'm in so much pain or why I can't walk for very long without falling forward. Hopefully on the 12th we'll get some kind of answer. I'm just worried that Dr. LaGrone is going to say the same thing as well. According to my x-rays I shouldn't be having the walking problems

Let me know how your trip goes!
                    Theresa

Fused T2 to sacrum

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

Hi Theresa...

I've picked up people at the airport w/xrays that they've carried on, so I think it's probably safe for them to go through the scanner. I can't imagine why it wouldn't be.

When your xrays were taken, were your needs in the locked position, or was one or both knees bent? That's a fairly common problem, and many xray technicians don't know that they need to warn scoliosis patients not to bend their knees.

Regards,
                      Linda
                      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Hi Linda,

I really don't remember if my knees were locked or not? When I try to stand with them locked I lean forward some but then I noticed that my body takes over to balance me and I feel my hips shifting and before you know it the knees are bent.
                        Theresa

Fused T2 to sacrum

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

Hi Theresa...

I think that's pretty typical. Be sure to mention it to Dr. LaGrone.

--Linda

Comment

Linda,

I'll make sure that I mention it.
                            Theresa

Fused T2 to sacrum

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

Theresa... thank you for your kind words. I can't wait to see the doctor tomorrow. I'm a bit nervous about going to Amarillo because the weather is expected to be snow flurries and ice. I ma not accustomed to driving on ice so I hope that it doesn't get to that.

I am so sorry to hear of your continued pain and hope that Dr. LaGrone will shed a bit more light on how to better treat you. I'll keep you posted about the trip to Amarillo and about Dr. LaGrone and his office upon my return to Houston on Thursday.

Linda, thank you for the head's up on x-rays and airport scanners.

Marilyn

1977 Rods removed

Comment

Hi Theresa, I hope that you are doing better.

Just came back from Amarillo and I am overwhelmed by so many things, good and bad. The good part is that I finally found a doctor that is beyond fantistic. He is kind, he listens, and his experience is of the highest level. His office staff are extremely nice and extremely supportive. I would recommend Dr. LaGrone and his entire staff to everyone. You will certainly leave his office on Dec. 5 reassured that you've been with an expert of the highest experience and quality.

I'll post more on what is going on with me once I can digest everything and research this site more to gain a better understanding of it all. My head is spinning with information right now.

Marilyn

1977 Rods removed

Comment

Working...
                                X