No announcement yet.

New pain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The injections are probably steroids to reduce the swelling. I have had one and am gone back for another on 12/4. It will hurt for about 7 - 10 days until all of the medicine is absorbed. You will notice less and less pain. I also had a nerve root block to stop pain that was going around my ribs. Both hurt for a week or two, then you notice less pain. Good luck.
    T12- L5 fusion 1975 - Rochester, NY
    2002 removal of bottom of rod and extra fusion
    3/1/11 C5-C6 disc replacement
    Daughter - T7 - L3 fusion 2004

Comment

Thanks for the information. I was thinking maybe steroids but wasn't exactly sure. The Dr. just said injections to help with the inflamation. How long do the injections last before the pain comes back, or does it vary from person to person.
      Mattie

Comment

Hi Mattie, I think it varies from person to person as I had them done and unfortunately they did not help me. But dear that is not to say they may work fantastic for you and I really hope they do.

Macky
        Operation 1966, Fused from T4 to L3, had Harrington rods inserted. Originally had an 85 degree Thoracic curve with lumbar scoliosis as well but had a good correction.
        Perfectly normal life till 1997 but now in a lot of pain daily. Consider myself very fortunate though.

Comment

Macky, I am hoping they help but if they don't at least I gave it a try. If they would at least take the edge off the pain that would be great. I will try anything before surgery. I don't want to go through another one, three is enough for me. Thanks for info.
          Mattie

Comment

I have never gotten everything done with my insurance yet to start my injections. Maybe eventually.
            My back has been hurting badly. We had a rough week. My father passed away Wednesday. I was at the hospital sitting in a chair from last Monday to Wednesday. It did not do my back any justice. Maybe after I get everything taken care of with my dads things it will ease off. I believe now it is stress more than anything. By Wednesday my back hurt so bad I could have cried.
            Everything seems to happen all at once. The old saying goes " When it rains it pours".
            Mattie

Comment

Mattie

I am so sorry to hear of your father passing away. How absolutely horrible it has been for you in the last few days. I cannot begin to imagine all that you are going through. Indeed, you are going through much stress. I hope that not only your badly hurting back, but everything else improves with each passing minute.

God bless you

Marilyn

1975 Clear hard plastic body cast worn
              1976 Operated for high grade Spondylolisthesis; lumbar fused from L2-Sacrum and Harrington rods inserted
              1976 Wore regular type body cast and in bed rest for 1 year
              1977 Rods removed
              2006 Diagnosed with Flat back syndrome with sagittal imbalance
              2008 Scheduled for wide pedicle subtraction osteotomy, sooner if pain increases

My email is ahlan_warda@yahoo.com

Comment

Mattie,

my condolences to you.

I understand about the back pain, as last week I also wanted to cry, so much inflammtion, and that was also due to me having another Vertigo attack(I've been getting them on and off since August, and it has to do with my ears, another thing I have to deal with ) My back is better this week.

Maybe with time you will rest and your back will feel better, and again I wish you strength in these hard times.
                35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
                Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
                Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
                Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
                Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

Sweetness - I'm sorry to hear about the inflammation....that can be the worst kind of pain! I'm sorry to hear about your loss too Mattie. I wish everyone well.
                  Cena
                  Cena
                  Nov. 2006 - revision surgery
                  Aug. 1992 - revision surgery for hook removal and pseudoarthrosis
                  July 1989 - Cortrell Doubosett procedure - two rods and fusion T4-L4 (age 13)

Comment

THANK YOU everyone for all the kind words. It is hard but life does go on and time does help. I lost my mother on 1983, so I know time helps.
                    I called my GP today they still have not heard back from my insurance. It is just a waiting game now. If I don't hear anything this week I am going to tell my GP office to refer me to a different clinic that does except my insurance. This is rediculous.
                    Again thanks. Mattie

Comment

I have my appointment with the pain clinic on Monday. I can't wait to see if these injections help with the pain. With the holidays approaching I wish I could get a little help with the pain.
                      Mattie

Comment

I went Monday to the pain clinic. The Drs.said they would not do any injections until I had a CT scan and a Mylogram. The Drs. at the pain clinic want my surgeon to operate and take the screws out that are bothering me.
                        I don't know what is going to become of all this. I do not want surgery again but I can't keep going on with this pain either.
                        I go Friday for my CT scan and Mylogram. I will hopefully find out more after that. I will just keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best.
                        Mattie

Comment

Hi Mattie,

I only had one screw taken out and will not have more, even if another one is bothering me(the pain is not constant though). It was a quick operation and I was out and about in a few weeks.

My pain was 24/7, and that's why they took that screw out. Taking too many out could be bad in case the curve comes back, but I guess that also depends on where the screws are.
                          35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
                          Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
                          Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
                          Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
                          Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

I had my mylogram done and Ct scan. All went wel. A little headahe but nothing bad. The needle in my back hurt more than anything.
                            I heard from the pain clinic yesterday. The Dr. at the pain clinic said the injections would be in the twisting joint of the back. He don't even know if it will help. Just a temporary pain control. The Dr. didn't see much to work with.
                            They called them facets. They would give a local lidocane with a little cortizone. Only one no more. They are still recommending I have surgery.
                            I also have a bulging disc. I don't know which one. I will have to wait until after the first of the year to see what my family Dr. has to say. I will just keep my fingers crossed.
                            mattie
                            P.S. I did find out what my fusion is: T4-L2. I never knew the exact amount until I went to the pain clinic.

Comment

Hi Mattie I only just got back on the board after having pneumonia which was pretty horrid.

I am so very, very sorry your dad passed away Mattie, I lost both my parents before I was 22 and there is not a day that goes by I dont miss them so very much.

When you are stressed honey you naturally all tense up and that does not help with the back pain either. I am so glad that the CT and the myelogram went ok and you only had a slight headache from it. Good luck with your facet joint injections lets hope you get a good result.

I have really missed all you guys and have come to realise just how much I depend on you all and how much I need you in my life just tossing things back and forth and discussing our backs ,it really does help.

My love to you all and thankyou for being there for me, Happy New Year,

Macky xxxx
                              Operation 1966, Fused from T4 to L3, had Harrington rods inserted. Originally had an 85 degree Thoracic curve with lumbar scoliosis as well but had a good correction.
                              Perfectly normal life till 1997 but now in a lot of pain daily. Consider myself very fortunate though.

Comment

Hi Macky, I am glad your back. That pnemonia can be terrible. It really gets you down. I am so glad your feeling better.
                                I can only have one facet joint injection. The Dr. will not give me anymore. But I am waiting to see what my GPs opinion is. The Drs. at the pain clinic really don't want to do the injection they are only going to try one and they are not sure they will be sucessful. I am just waiting until the new year to hear what my GP says. Thanks for being here for me.
                                Mattie

Comment

Working...
                                X