Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rod removal and thoracoplasty

Hi,
    I am new to this forum and am happy to have found it! I am 31 years old and had a spinal fusion with rod (T3-L4) in 1992. I recently went to see Dr. Robert Pashman at Cedars-Sinai because of pain in upper and lower back as well as rib hump pain. I had a CT scan done and after reviewing it Dr. Pashman suggested rod/hardware removal. We also spoke about a thoracoplasty, he said if the rib hump bothered me that much it is something I should consider. I am really leaning towards getting these surgeries done, but it is a scary thing, and there is always risks with surgery. Has anyone had these two surgeries together? If so, were you happy with the outcome?
    How was the pain afterward? Also does anyone have any comments about Dr. Robert Pashman? Any replies would be appreciated.

Rod Removal and Fusion

Hi Leslie. I do not know anything about removing the rod. I had a Harrington Rod installed in 1973. I have pain in my lower back with numbness/tingling in my legs and feet. I have bad pain in my legs when trying to walk from a sitting position. I also get pain in my hips when I walk long distances or stand too long. When I try to walk from a sitting position, it takes me a while to get going but eventually the pain subsides and I can walk. I have seen a doctor who gave me an epidural that helped some, however it's only a temporary fix. To make a long story short, yesterday I was referred to a surgeon for a second opinion. He told me that I need surgery to fix the damage. I have 2 discs that are severly degenerated in my lower back just below the rod fusion, bone spurs and pinched nerves. It is suggested that I have surgery to remove the degerated discs and have the vertibre fused togeter and 2 pins put in, then he wants to remove the rod. He said that things are only going to get worse and that I need to do the surgery now before the damage is really bad. He stated that they are starting to see a lot of these rod cases. I am concerned because I don't know anyone to ask who have had their rods removed on what to expect for the future. It makes me very nervous. I don't know if you have had your rod removed yet, if you did can you provide any feedback?

Comment

Hi Vicki...

You may want to do a search (see icon above) on the word REMOVAL, as there have been several discussions about rod removal.

If you haven't already done so, be sure to ask your surgeon how many of these cases (scoliosis revision) he typically does in a year. And, ask the surgeon for the names and phone numbers of at least 3-4 such patients. Call them! This is a pretty specialized field, and you want to choose someone with a lot of experience.

Good luck.

Regards,
      Linda
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Hi Vicki,

Regarding the surgeon who stated that they are starting to see a lot of these rod cases, was he referring to patients with Harrington rods or even those with newer instrumentation?

Chris

Comment

Hi Vicki, we have similar things going on with our back. I find it interesting too the your doctor has said he is seeing more and more of these rod cases, it does bring up a few questions doesnt it.

Linda has given you some excellent advice, I do hope you will follow it.

Leslie. that advice Linda has given Vicki will help you as well I think.

All the best
          Macky
          Operation 1966, Fused from T4 to L3, had Harrington rods inserted. Originally had an 85 degree Thoracic curve with lumbar scoliosis as well but had a good correction.
          Perfectly normal life till 1997 but now in a lot of pain daily. Consider myself very fortunate though.

Comment

Working...
          X