Up and around!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brian,
    I had staples (225 ) and ended up with MRSA. I think it is more what the surgeon wants and is comfortable with.
    SandyC

Comment

Staples vs sutures

Wow, I had not heard of infection being a determining factor. My Dr. was NOT concerned that infection would be a factor. (You are given antibiotics through your I.V. tube anyway as a precaution.) Brian, they cover sutures with steri tape too. My Dr. was so concerned how my scar would heal he said he wasn't too proud to let me bring in a plastic surgeon if I wanted! I had talked to his asst. and was assured his closing technique was fabulous. Needless to say my scar is so thin I thought at first "no one will see it to know what I've been through!" I would think staples are much faster to do vs lining up the incision perfectly and using a running stitch with dissolvable sutures. I guess it does depend on what your Dr. feels he does best.

Brandi, you are lucky you had a choice.

Dori, have someone get you Mederma scar cream to put on your scar ASAP when those staples come out. I used it for three months and a friend who had back surgery 1 week after me did not. HUGH difference in our scars. (He also tanned his and I did not.) My Husband also used it when he had wrist surgery and his scar faded like mine did. The stuff works.

Comment

Do not put anything on your scar without your surgeon's approval.

By the way, my posterior scar is hardly noticable, and I put nothing on it.

--Linda
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

I commend all of you who had staples...just the thought of it sends shivers through me!!!! I asked my surgeon what he planned on using and he said the steri strips with dissolvable stitches inside. I was so happy and told him that I was terrified at the thought of staples. He said that he did not like using them and that for him, the steri's work just as well.

One of you mentioned that a friend who had a c-section had staples...I never even gave that a thought and now that I'm pregnant, I'll have to be sure to talk this over with my OB....I have serious aversion to the staples and hope that if I have to go the c-section route, I can have an alternative to the staples.....EEEK!!!

Comment

I haven't heard of too many folks getting infections from stitches (not saying it doesn't happen) I know Katblack, got an infection and she had staples, I believe (Kat, correct me if I'm wrong). Anyway, I had dissolvable stitches and steri-strips on the outside and other than some itching, had no problems.
            Brandi
            Congenital Scoliosis, 58* lumbar curve
            Combined Anterior/Posterior Spinal Fusion w/Laminectomy May 22, 2006
            L1-S1
            Dr. William Lauerman
            Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC
            Pedicle Subtraction Osteotomy @ L3, Posterior Spinal Fusion L2-L4, rod removal with re-instrumentation T10-S1 and Laminectomy February 5, 2009 to correct flatback
            http://brandi816.wordpress.com/

Comment

Hi everyone!

I had my staples out today, the official count was 117! My sister was one off. I had no problems, in fact I barely felt it at all. My spine is so numb that I only felt a few pinces up near my neck and at the very bottom.

All is well, thank goodness!
              Dori

Comment

I am so glad that you are doing so well. The hardest thing for me is I will have a bunch of good days in a row and get a little cocky and overdue it and wind up on the couch. Do not be discouraged if you feel like you are having a bad day. I find my hardest position sitting. I have been doing a lot of walking and I am Just using a cane now. I am so glad you got such excellent correction.
                surgery 9/06
                Rothman institute

Comment

Working...
                X